Buy stop vs Buy stop limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy stop vs Buy stop limit

I have confused myself. I was short 3 contracts which moved against me. I have offset 2 of them (one each over 2 days). Ninjatrader, for some reason thinks I am now long 2 contracts but I have confirmed with the broker that I am short one contract. So, I have a short position that has moved against me and now is coming back. I would like to protect myself against the last major swing high with a buy stop or buy stop limit order and let the position run without a profit target. What is the difference between the 2 and how would each execute differently? And does it matter that on chart trader the program thinks I am long 2 contracts in consideration of entering the stop order?

POINTERDOG, on which broker connection are you trading? Not all support holding positions overnight. A buy stop places a stop market order, a buy stop limit, place a limit order when triggered by the stop - depending on conditions the stop market may be the 'better' option as you can't be filled with the other.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The market is Euro FX on the Globex. The broker is vision financial.

Comment

Ok thanks - there might be a corruption in your database present, please try disconnecting from Vision and then go to Tools > Options > Misc and Repair the DB. Then exit and restart NinjaTrader fresh and reconnect to Vision - does the proper position size show then?

Comment

I have performed such maneuvers. There is evidently a bug in the Ninjatrader software which is causing the software to incorrectly reflect the positions. I have been over this with both vision and Ninja support. Vision contacted Ninjatrader. The software requires new code which I have been informed is being written and tested this week. Hopefully by next week this will be fixed. The tech guys at Vision advised me that Ninja was still one of the best platforms and not to change.
          My concern on this thread regarding this part of the issue was whether the stop order would be affected by the implied and incorrect assumption of position by Ninjatrader software. If I understand your earlier answer the stop or stop limit order is simply an executable order unaffected by the contract position my software thinks it sees. It presents a challenge to me to keep track of the true positions and is a risk for errors, which is why I will be happy when the fix is in place.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and clarification - your account position and stop orders are not connected, but for effective protection of all open contracts you want the position entered to match the 'true' position size as held in your account.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by The_Sec, Today, 02:29 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
            Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes