Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Code->test/debug->change code->retest ... cycle process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code->test/debug->change code->retest ... cycle process

Hi,

I'm facing what is probably a beginner issue, i searched the forum and documentation, but i couldn't find the solution. Sorry if this issue has already been discussed.

I'm developping a quite basic strategy, which is quite easy, thanks to the good code editor and the good documentation. However, I'm not comfortable with the testing/debugging process. I'm testing whith the simulated data feed. i'm using the strategy tab to launch my strategy, and when i want to change something, i stop the strategy, go back to the editor, change my code, compile again. Then if i restart the strategy, i have the feeling that it is still the old one being launched.
    If i create a new strategy, the strategy tab quickly becomes a mess, and at some point, all i can do is restart NT.
    Also, i'm not quite clear about when the "initialize" method is triggered. I have the feeling that it may be triggered a multiple time. I also noticed that when I'm launching a new strategy (in strategies tab), all my strategies initialize functions are triggered, whatever strategy I have chosen in the strategy launch window. this is a bit confusing.

So could you please give me an insight about what would be the best practice for this code - test -change -retest process?

Thank you in advance.

B.

- Initialize() is called for any temporary strategy instance created.
    - Restarting a strategy e.g. on chart will start a new version of your updated strategy.

Comment

Hi Dierk,

Thank for answering me. If I do it from the chart window, I indeed don't have to deal with the mess generated in the strategies tab, which makes life much easier.

If I may suggest sthg, the process would be slightly easier if the strategy popup (in chart window) was not modal and/or if it kept the last parameters used when you start the strategy.

Regards,
      Bertrand

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. We'll add them to the list.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Mizzouman1  
        Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ