Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Understanding MAE and MFE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding MAE and MFE

Hi everyone,

I was looking across the net in order to get a good understanding of the MAE and MFE to help me gauge my strategy performance... But i really don't get it !

Based on the two attached pic showing respectively MAE and MFE, could someone advise me on how to read these charts and what has to be considered to improve these stats...

Thanks
    Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cbadr; 12-08-2016, 09:40 AM.

Hello cbadr,

Thanks for your post.

Simply put MAE is how much drawdown you took on the trade. MFE would be how far in your favor the trade went.

I'll copy the helpguide definitions here:

Average MAE
    This statistic returns a value representing the average maximum run-down your strategy experiences. This information helps you gauge how poorly your strategy’s entry conditions predict upcoming price movement directions. A low percentage here is desirable since it would imply that the price movement after you enter a position follows the direction of your intended trade.

Currency SUM(MAE * quantity * point value) of all trades / # of trades
    Percent SUM(MAE * quantity / entry price) of all trades / # of traded lots
    Points SUM(MAE * quantity) of all trades / # of trades

where MAE (max. adverse excursion) is defined as |worst price trade reached – entry price|, quantity is defined as the number of contracts traded, and point value is defined as the monetary conversion of each point (e.g. 100 for currency pairs).

Average MFE
    This statistic returns a value representing the average maximum run-up your strategy experiences. This information helps you gauge how well your strategy’s entry conditions predict upcoming price movements. A high percentage here is desirable since it would imply high profitability opportunities.

Currency SUM(MFE * quantity * point value) of all trades / # of trades
    Percent SUM(MFE * quantity / entry price) of all trades / # of traded lots
    Points SUM(MFE * quantity) of all trades / # of trades

where MFE (max. favorable excursion) is defined as (best price trade reached – entry price), quantity is defined as the number of contracts traded, and point value is defined as the monetary conversion of each point (e.g. 100 for currency pairs).

Here is the link to all of the definitions: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...efinitions.htm
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It does not make sense in NT8.

I've tried to reason with support through the whole beta , and have gotten no where.

They took a different approach from NT7 (where it made sense).

MAE is reported as a positive number always. Nt 7 would show negative. I've questioned whether the data column was missing a format mask even.

Originally posted by cbadr View Post
      Hi everyone,

I was looking across the net in order to get a good understanding of the MAE and MFE to help me gauge my strategy performance... But i really don't get it !

Based on the two attached pic showing respectively MAE and MFE, could someone advise me on how to read these charts and what has to be considered to improve these stats...

Thanks
      Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

My first post was responding based on NT7 and missed that we are on the NT8 side here.

Here is the same info and link from the NT8 side:

Average MAE (Maximum Adverse Excursion)
        This statistic returns a value representing the average maximum run-down your trades experience. This information helps you gauge how poorly your entry conditions predict upcoming price movement directions. A low percentage here is desirable since it would imply that the price movement after you enter a position follows the direction of your intended trade.

Currency SUM(MAE * quantity * point value) of all trades / # of trades
        Percent SUM(MAE * quantity / entry price) of all trades / # of traded lots
        Points SUM(MAE * quantity) of all trades / # of trades
        Pips SUM(MAE * quantity / FX lot size) of all trades / # of trades
        Ticks SUM(MAE * quantity / tick size) of all trades / # of trades

Note:
        • MAE (max. adverse excursion) is defined as worst price trade reached – entry price
        • For real-time trades, the maximum and minimum price seen is recorded live during the duration of the trade and stored per entry/exit execution. This value includes bid/ask prices which may not be reflected on the chart. If there are time periods where you are receiving real-time price updates, those prices within that period cannot be used.
        • When backtesting, the high and low of the bar series is used

Average MFE (Maximum Favorable Excursion)
        This statistic returns a value representing the average maximum run-up your strategy experiences. This information helps you gauge how well your strategy’s entry conditions predict upcoming price movements. A high percentage here is desirable since it would imply high profitability opportunities.

Currency SUM(MFE * quantity * point value) of all trades / # of trades
        Percent SUM(MFE * quantity / entry price) of all trades / # of traded lots
        Points SUM(MFE * quantity) of all trades / # of trades
        Pips SUM(MFE * quantity / FX lot size) of all trades / # of trades
        Ticks SUM(MFE * quantity / tick size) of all torades / # of trades

Note:
        • MFE (max. favorable excursion) is defined as (best price trade reached – entry price)
        • For real-time trades, the maximum and minimum price seen is recorded live during the duration of the trade and stored per entry/exit execution. This value includes bid/ask prices which may not be reflected on the chart. If there are time periods where you are receiving real-time price updates, those prices within that period cannot be used.
        • When backtesting, the high and low of the bar series is used

Here is the NT8 Link: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...efinitions.htm
        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post WHICKED
        by WHICKED

Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
        15 responses