Optimizer on [Dual|Multi]-Core CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by auspiv View Post
    in defense of the ninjatrader dev team, writing programs to use multiple cores is not an easy task, especially if the task isn't parallel, which im guessing NT is not.
    Yeah, geez guys, give 'em some slack!
    cassb
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

Comment

I know you get a million requests for new features ... here is another one !

It would make Nina trader a leader in optimization if you not only had Multi Core, but if Ninja could work with slave machines to optimize. So you could run the problem through a farm of computers across a network.

I think Ninja just uses bruteforce for optimization ? It works, and covers all possibilities, but its slow. If you could split the tast up between serveral machines, things that just can't be done now, could become possible. It is especially slow using a few months of tick data, with 3 levels of factors to optimize.

Having the ability to split a tast between a farm of machines would really make Ninja Trader very powerful.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Comment

For an example of incredible/seamless/easy use of slave machines for creating pseudo-server-farms, check out REAPER (created by Justin Frankel of Winamp/GNUtella fame). (having a release schedule averaging 1-2 new public betas a week is also quite amazing)

Rea-mote:
          http://www.****os.com/wiki/index.php/ReaMote

Advantages
          • Easy to set up: simply install REAPER and whatever plug-ins you need on the slave machines. Run the ReaMote slave on the slave machines, then enable ReaMote in the REAPER preferences on the master, and you're ready to go!
          • Easy to use: Each FX chain has the option of running remotely. When a chain is running remotely, you can still adjust its configuration using the same plug-in UIs you are used to.
          • Network efficiency: since you can run entire chains remotely, you avoid having to send data back and forth excessively, reducing network use. ReaMote also has silence detection, mono detection, and optional 32-bit mode to further reduce local network utilization.
          • Reliability: if a ReaMote slave needs to go away, FX assigned to it will automatically run locally (and the user will be notified)
          • It just works: REALLY. It works amazingly well on 100/1000mbps wired networks. You can even run softsynths remotely with very minimal latency for live monitoring!
          I'm beginning to think that regardless of whatever performance enhancements come with NT7 its still going to be much more resource hungry than 'the competition'. This is a trade-off for the other advantages provided by the 'openness' of the platform.

Having the ability to take advantage of networked slave PCs, would go a very long way to neutralizing any potential performance issues. If it can be be done brilliantly and eloquently with sample-accurate precision (up to 192,000 samples per second, likely above the ticks per second level of all financial markets combined), I'm sure the same potential exist for financial data.

Originally posted by webart View Post
          I know you get a million requests for new features ... here is another one !

It would make Nina trader a leader in optimization if you not only had Multi Core, but if Ninja could work with slave machines to optimize. So you could run the problem through a farm of computers across a network.

I think Ninja just uses bruteforce for optimization ? It works, and covers all possibilities, but its slow. If you could split the tast up between serveral machines, things that just can't be done now, could become possible. It is especially slow using a few months of tick data, with 3 levels of factors to optimize.

Having the ability to split a tast between a farm of machines would really make Ninja Trader very powerful.
          Last edited by Elliott Wave; 11-30-2008, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I know that software Elliot, personally I use Mackie Tracktion.

Another package I use that operates on slaves is,

Ultra Fractal is a great way to create your own fractal art. It is very easy to use and yet more capable than any other fractal program.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by martin70, 03-24-2023, 04:58 AM
            15 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
            Started by The_Sec, Today, 02:29 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse