Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy when Indicator is triggered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy when Indicator is triggered

Hi,

I am using Ninja Trader 7. I have been practicing with MACross strategy, and added a email and set profits, and loss, so understand the basic concepts for the Strategy indictor.

My question is. I have a Indicator, that I would like to set a strategy when the Indicator is hit. This is a bought indicator from John Bollinger, his Methods Indicators, when Method 4 is hit, I want to start a strategy (my main purpose is they do not have a email built in and I want to send myself a email) (I have this working with the MA Cross strategy.

My dilemma is, I don't know how to show the trigger of this Method 4 indicator. It is set to "true" when I want to show it on the screen, and there is not one for Short or Long, so I figure if I just work on sending a email when it's trigger, I can work on the other part later.

So when the Dot and a 4 shows up on the screen what kind of comparision would I use in the condition strategy section. I tried the first one to be false and when it's > than the 2nd one true, but this did not work.

Attached is the chart and how the condition code is that I have. I know without having the indicator it will be more challenging but maybe someone already has this?

Thanks,
    Judy
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

Yes, this is more challenging without knowing the indicator name in syntax. What I can suggest would be to use the following steps to explore with Intelleprompt. In case any other users know the specific indicator syntax they can follow up as well.
    1. In the NinjaScript editor, in a line above your current condition type what you think would be the first letter of the indicators name, or click on the line and press control + space.
    2. After doing this a menu should appear with suggestions.
    3. Locate the indicators name in the list and then type in or select it to have it populated.
    4. After doing this you can type the ( which should display the parameters you need to enter.
    5. Finally you can type a period . after the closing parenthesis ) which should additionally open a drop down giving suggestions where you can look for plot names like Method 4.

Once you find a plot, the overall syntax may look similar to the following:

Code:
    double myValue = SMA(12).MethodFour[0];
    Please note that the SMA does not have this plot, this is simply for the purpose of demonstration.

Most indicators would maintain the same syntax to call them, or:

Code:
    double value = IndicatorName(Parameters).PlotName[BarsAgo];
    Once you locate syntax like this, you could use Print statements to test and see if the value is a signal, the drawings are likely the cause of an existing condition, whether or not these are also related to a plot is something you would need to test:

Code:
    double value = IndicatorName(Parameters).PlotName[BarsAgo];
    Print(value);
    You may also have some luck emailing the original vendor/author to ask specifically if the cause of the drawings is exposed as a signal.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jesse; 05-27-2017, 02:44 PM.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

BBTK_BBMethodAlerts

Hi Jesse,

The indicator name is BBTK_BBMethodAlerts. I am unable to view the actual indicator because of it being bought....but I can see it in the strategy list. See 2 attached JPG's.

Right now I am only concerned with Method4, and I set the indicator "TRUE" to receive the display's on the chart. (ie. a dot and the number 4 showing Method 4).

I will email the John Bollinger site and ask them that question.

Thanks,
      Judy
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jgibes; 05-27-2017, 03:54 PM. Reason: not finished

Comment

Hi, I received a email and they said

"Our methods generate a signal. We are not familiar with how NinjaTrader operates so cannot direct you as to how to generate an email from those signals, but hopefully their tech support can. Sorry to keep throwing the ball into their court, but no one in our operation uses NinjaTrader."

Do I need to ask what the Signal name is? Would that help in generating the strategy so I can send myself that text message/email?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

Based on the vendor's reply it seems that this item does create signals for its own purposes but I don't see that they explained that it could be used for other items as a signal.

In your images it also appears there is no "Plot" specifically which would be needed as a signal, I currently don't see a way this could be used with the strategy builder.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
          JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jesse,

Thank you so much for your help !!!

I now have a perfect solution.

The people who "created" the indicator put me in touch with Patrick at Ninja Trader who programed the indicator for him. He was able to create a email indicator that is trigged when Method4 is triggered.

IT WORKS PERFECTLY !!! I used the Market Replay Connection and tested it all day yesterday and it works great.

SO... thanks Jesse for all your help, since I have the email indicator, no need to further look at the strategy part for this indicator.

Thank you again for all your help !!
            Judy

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post tradingnasdaqprueba  
            Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
            0 responses