Ninja on XP 64 Bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja on XP 64 Bit

Has anyone done this? Ninja Trader said they do not support 64bit, but that some people are successfully running it. Just wanting to know if anyone has done it, and if it worked. I don't want to go through the hassle of switching to XP64 if I am going to have to switch back. The reason for the switch is to utilize more ram.

Thanks,

RF

Hi,

I hear people using it on vista 64 bit ok, but I didn't yet try it personally.

Ninja 6.5 is a 32 bit application. Not sure if Ninja 6.5 can access more RAM even if suppose the system has 8 gb Ram available. May be ninja support can comment on this.

Does ninja 6.5 in vista 32 bit or vista 64 bit or xp 64bit, have any default "windows process" maximum memory usage limitations? So if available RAM is like 2 gb or say 8 gb, can ninja 6.5 process make use of the entire available Ram?

RK

Comment

- NT6.5 on 64bit is not officially supported. Some users run it successfully, others fail. NT7 will officially support 64bit windows.
      - NT6.5 is 32bit process, thus it will use a max of around 1.6 GB (I read this number somewhere). I'm not aware that this number would change on 64bit windows. You might want to consult MS support.

Comment

I use it on XP 64 bit just fine.

Comment

Vista 64bit

I am running NT (the latest version) on Vista 64bit Ultimate with a Quad CPU and 8GB RAM & two monitors on a single 8600GTS NVidia card. I have the following experience:
          1) Running charts with tick data from IQFeed is totally fine. And there have been no problems.
          2) There are often issues in charting charts with older data, let's say I ask for ESz8 for a chart at 5000 ticks for the past 15 days. This hangs-up on "Loading Data" in 9 cases out of 10. And it seems to be an issue with the local installation of NT...

I do not have the time and either patience to be honest to downgrade to XP so I am sticking with Vista and eagerly waiting for NT 7...
          If you can I would not recommend upgrading to Vista at this time. We all are using NT to make some money and the more stable installation we have the better!

Comment

CZTrader, I have similar issues (with Vista x86) and I've narrowed it down to a) a memory leak, the longer NT runs, the worse the problem, and b) once NT reaches around 1.2-1.4GB it crashes.

I am willing to get the 1 out of 10 times your scenario works is if you load NT and jump straight to that chart with nothing else.... and if you look at taskmgr memory for ninja, you're probably right there at the limit.

At least that's what happens in my case.

This is the first I've read that NT7 will support x64. I'm not sure if that means they will have a x86 version that has been tested on x64 OS, or if they will have an x64 distribution version. Either way, NT7 is sure to rock!

Mike

Comment

That's an excellent point. I tried it out and had a look at memory usage and found the same things:
              (1) The longer NT runs the worse it is. After like 6 hours of continuous running with 5 charts updating at tick level it is impossible to open a new chart with any meaningful history.
              (2) If you close the workspace, quit NT and launch NT with no charts open, you can ask for a chart with longer history and it is fine.

I wonder if this is related to Vista or maybe the .Net framework (I have the latest release installed v3.5).

Are we sure these things don't happen on XP?

Comment

I am wanting to try it on XP64. I hate Vista. It has been nothing but problems.

I am going to install a new HD with XP64 and install NT and Trade Station. I don't want to screw up what I have (it's working fine). I will probably do it later this week and report back how it works.

RF

Comment

I use SIM on 64 bit Vista ultimate. No problem yet.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post rtwave
                  by rtwave

Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
                  5 responses
                  0 likes