Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Debugging - Making Live Changes To Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debugging - Making Live Changes To Code

Hello,

Is it possible to modify code while it's being executed? I am using VS2017 and I simply attached to the NT8 process, but doesn't seem to let me edit the code. This is normally possible with c# in VS, so what do I need to do to get this feature working with NT8?

Hello jflaggs,

Thanks for opening the thread.

We only support using breakpoints in Visual Studio as documented in our help guide. Since Visual Studio is merely attaching to NinjaTrader, it does not have access to the assembly to allow for Edit and Continue.

You can reference the Visual Studio Debugging page here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG..._debugging.htm

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

Is it possible that Edit and Continue will be supported in future versions? It's an invaluable tool for those who use VS.

Comment

Hello jflaggs,

NinjaTrader would need to provide a way where you can start the project from Visual Studio and this would not be possible by attaching Visual Studio to NinjaTrader.

I have submitted a feature request on your behalf so interest can be tracked. I will update this post when I have received the ticket ID for the feature request.

EDIT: Feature Request Ticket ID is SFT-2699. When it is implemented, you can reference this ticket number in the Release Notes of the version of NinjaTrader that includes this feature.

Release Notes can be found here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Feature Requests are fulfilled based off the Development Team's tasks and priorities. We cannot offer an ETA for feature request fulfillment.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 09-22-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
            Hello jflaggs,

NinjaTrader would need to provide a way where you can start the project from Visual Studio and this would not be possible by attaching Visual Studio to NinjaTrader.

I have submitted a feature request on your behalf so interest can be tracked. I will update this post when I have received the ticket ID for the feature request.

EDIT: Feature Request Ticket ID is SFT-2699. When it is implemented, you can reference this ticket number in the Release Notes of the version of NinjaTrader that includes this feature.

Release Notes can be found here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Feature Requests are fulfilled based off the Development Team's tasks and priorities. We cannot offer an ETA for feature request fulfillment.
            Hello,

I am just checking up on this feature request since it doesn't seem to be included in the latest 8.0.11.0 release. I know you cannot promise an ETA, but is this request still alive? This is still an invaluable tool that helps streamline the development process.

Comment

Hello jflaggs,

The feature request is still active, and your interest is being tracked. If you know other users that would benefit from this feature, you can have then chime in so we can add a vote to the feature request.

Other than that, we will have to wait until the request is prioritized over other tasks before it would be implemented.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Would love to use this feature + 1 here.

Comment

Originally posted by lavalampmj View Post
                  Would love to use this feature + 1 here.
                  Thank you! Good to know others need this feature. I'm still wasting tons of development time rebuilding and re-attaching each time I need to make small changes. Drives me nuts. If you know other's please get their support as well since Jim is saying there are strength in numbers for getting new features implemented.

Comment

crowd funding?

no doubt, this would be a nice feature.

Nowadays you could implement a visual studio debugger extension handling all NinjaTrader debugging.

I imagine this to be tedious and lengthy to implement, I prefer the NT8 team to work down other priorities first, my one is to improve the IB adapter :
                    Please recover from disconnect errors
                    please add support for different multipliers for futures (FDAX and FDXM futures ..)
                    please handle external orders inside NT8.

- then I prefer the NT8 team to look into the bugs and fix them as I report occasionally and -thank you- are also beeing fixed by the nt8 team.

For the debugging, I would propose a crowd funding here:
                    I would see 2 weeks for 1 person to implement fully, hence about 80 h . Find a programmer for it (my our rate is probably not competitive @ 80 Eur) and once the crowd funding has reached that you can go for it.

To fund 50% you need 100 people with 50USD funding .

who is in?

Regards
                    Andreas

Comment

Hello zweistein,

I appreciate your feedback and proposition.

I'd want to make sure your feedback is tracked for the IB adapter. So we can keep this thread on the topic of Edit and Continue with VS, could you send me an email at platformsupport at ninjatrader dot com with the text "Attn Jim" so we can make sure changes are properly requested?

Comment

Hello jflaggs,

Feature Requests are fulfilled based off the Development Team's tasks and priorities. We cannot offer an ETA for feature request fulfillment​
                        Hello,

I am just checking up on this feature request since it doesn't seem to be included in the latest 8.1 release. I know you cannot promise an ETA, but is this request still alive? This is still an invaluable tool that helps streamline the development process.​

Comment

Hello jflaggs,

Once a feature request is entered it will remain there and wont be removed. Unfortunately we can't provide any kind or eta or estimate if the feature will ever be implemented.
                          JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by merzo, 06-25-2023, 02:19 AM
                          10 responses
                          1 like
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ  
                          Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                          5 responses
                          0 likes