Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Any Visual Studio 2017 issues to consider before upgrading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Visual Studio 2017 issues to consider before upgrading?

I was wondering if there are any adverse issues with NT8 and the new Visual Studio 2017, before I upgrade. Has anyone tried debugging NT8 scripts with VS 2017? Is the the debug setup procedure outlined in NT Help still valid? Any feedback pro or con would be appreciated.

I have no idea about the programming practices at Ninjatrader but it's been my experience that developers take a long time to migrate to the new platform. Almost always there are build issues that need to be fixed.

You could make a backup copy of your csproj file and just try it. Since it's an API you might find that it builds just fine. If it doesn't, you have your old file to go back to.

Note: I have VS 2017 installed so I took my own advice before hitting the Post button and did just that... I made a copy of the csproj file and tried it. It loads fine and when I made a change, you don't get the pleasant sounding chime where it built. But it did build. (I put a 'return' statement in my strategy's OnBarUpdate, compiled, ran the strategy and the new build didn't load any trades, like I would expect. Plus the time stamp on the DLL and PDB file changed.) I miss the chime though. I haven't tried debugging but I'll bet you it will be fine.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

At the time of this post I have not had any reports or any issues reported regarding using 2017, many users have not yet updated as 2017 this was just released this month.

@traderpards, the compile sound not happening is actually a known bug in the current build, so it seems that you have confirmed that 2017 is working and the sound not happening in this situation would be expected until the next release. Issue: 11349

traderpards is also correct, you can make a copy of the original .csproj file to test using 2017, you can also re install the platform if you accidently destroy the original file.

If you do happen to find a problem or reason to revert back to the prior version of VS I would ask that you post your results and we could utilize that information if there are any problems.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
      JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Need VS 2017 Community install for Ninjatrader 7. No Debug Menu

I just installed VS 2017 basic install and for the life of me haven't been able to figure out how to get the debug menu to appear so I can attach an NT7 indicator process. What work group of components of VS community should I have installed? Or is there on option to set somewhere to get the debug menu?
        Last edited by ProfitPilgrim; 03-13-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

If you look under "individual components" there are five items in "Debugging and testing." For NinjaTrader, I would probably just check the workload ".NET desktop development," and then under individual components, check the items under "Debugging and testing," except possibly JavaScript diagnostics if you don't use JavaScript..
          Bruce DeVault
          QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

ProfitPilgrim,
            If you haven't already found a solution, maybe this is the ticket...
            Stack Overflow | The World’s Largest Online Community for Developers

Comment

Thanks Bruce (and traderpards). Process attached but doesn't run

Thanks Bruce (and tradepards). By installing a couple of the independent debug components (Just-In-Time debugger and Testing tools core features) I succeeded at installing the Debug menu and attaching VS to a Ninjatrader 7 indicator process by:

1) opening the indicator code in the ninjascript editor
              2) right clicking on it, selecting Debug Mode then recompiling it
              3) opening that same indicator file in VIsual Studio from File/Open/File (none appeared in Solution Explorer)
              4) clicking on the ninjascript editor window for the indicator
              5) going back to VS and attaching the now listed indicator process

How do I make the process run? I've set some test breakpoints. I've tried clicking on Reload Ninjascript in a chart running the indicator but nothing changes; no breakpoints are hit. All the Run menu options are gray. All breakpoints are red rimmed, white centers. I'm offline and don't have replayable data, just historical data. Do I have to replay to debug?
              Last edited by ProfitPilgrim; 03-15-2017, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I just wanted to gather further details, you noted this is for NT7 but we are currently in the NT8 forum which would entail different instructions when using Visual studio.

If you are trying to use NT7, please refer to the following guide on how to both configure the NT7 visual studio project references and add items into the project so they can be used: http://www.screencast.com/t/eH7y5cedlzh NT7 requires more steps before the visual studio project can be usable with custom items.

In addition to the steps in the video, you would need to "Include in project" any files you want to debug, they will not be automatically added to the project like NT8 does. If you are unfamiliar with adding items into the solution, please use visual studios help to search for "include in project"

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jesse; 03-16-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Error opening Ninjatrader.custom.csproj

Thanks Jesse for the detailed support. I failed to reproduce your posted video. I opened Visual Studio 2017/File/Open/Project/Solution... and navigated to the Ninjatrader.custom.csproj file. When I clicked on it I encountered the attached error. Because I had previously been using Borland Delphi's IDE in non-Ninjatrader-related development the icon beside Ninjatrader.custom.csproj is the Borland helmet. That's why I didn't open Visual Studio by clicking directly on Ninjatrader.custom.csproj as it would have opened Borland Delphi instead of default to Visual Studio. I assume that is not the reason for the failure to open Ninjatrader.custom.csproj. What is? Where do I go from here?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

This is likely the way you have installed visual studio, the .csproj is not registered as a valid project extension even in Visual Studio. From your previous post, it sounds like you didn't install all components you will need in order to utilize C# in visual studio.

Please ensure to install the entire .net development option, I could not really assist with any other installation that has hand picked options. If you are unsure of every component you will need the .net total package would work.

I look forward to being of further assistance.

Comment

After saving your settings just in case, you might want to consider resetting your Visual Studio settings to defaults https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241273.aspx or manually changing the file association for .csproj to point to visual studio and not borland using these instructions for windows 7 (windows 10 similar) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...fault-programs. As well, you could try right clicking, and Open With.
                      Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 03-17-2017, 02:30 PM.
                      Bruce DeVault

Comment

Minimum configuration

For those of us who do not have 2.3 Gig available for what I assume is a sizeable overkill of the full .Net workgroup installation, has anyone determined what the minimal installation procedure and components are? I've installed all the individual debug components except the C++ and Java deubg components and am able to attach and run the VS debugger but get C# internal errors for example if I try to watch variable values.

In imitating the video instructions in modifying ninjatrader.custom.csproj I can click on the ninjatrader.custom.csproj file and it opens by default in VS (thanks Bruce) but how do I get the resource window to appear so I can identify the missing components that need to be removed from the resource list and readded?

Comment

For those who may attempt a minimal installation short of the .net development option, I was unsuccessful in my effort to save disk space. After clearing room on my primary hard drive I installed the .net development workgroup, then followed instructions in Jesse's excellent video to replace a couple of missing references (Ninjatrader.Core and WilsonORMapper.

In VS Community 2017 there were a few necessary variations from the verbal instructions. The second is probably a change from 2013. The first was a matter of noticing what file path had been selected rather than relying precisely on verbal instructions.

1) To replace the 2 reference files the video says to go to (C) Main and select "Program Files" but notice that Program Files(86) which is for 32 bit apps not Program Files (which is for 64 bit apps) is the file that was selected in the video. Initially I hadn't notice which file Jesse had selected but having heard him say Program Files soon discovered I didn't have NT7 installed in Program Files but in Program's(86).

2) I then followed instructions to select and delete the 2 reference files but in VS Community 2017 when re-adding them instead of clicking Browse once to see the directory I had to first click on Browse as directed then click another Browse button that appeared near the bottom of the current window before seeing the directory. I then followed instructions to select Ninjatrader/bin64.

Thanks again Jesse and Bruce for the immediate support you've provided. I'm now able to trace through my indicator code by loading it as a file in VS Community 2017.

Comment

Great - glad it's all working.
                            Bruce DeVault

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by gravdigaz6, Today, 11:40 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes