Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Multiple Strategies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Strategies

Up until recently, I was running one strategy on a basket of instruments. There were no glaring issues.

Yesterday, I added a second strategy to run on the same basket of instruments... it has a different profile and is much longer term. It entered a long position (x2 contracts) this morning, verified by the execution tab, the log, and the pending stop loss in my orders tab. However, my original strategy then received its own signal (x2 short) and entered into a short position on the same instrument sometime after.

Now, my question is, why is there no position showing in the 'Positions' tab for that instrument? Nothing at all.

To summarize, I have two separate strategies both running on the same instrument. Two positions have been taken of equal, but opposite, value. There are execution orders and stoplosses pending for both. The strategies tab is showing both positions as open and calculating unrealized p/l. But there is no position value in the 'Positions' tab. Why is this?

All strategy colours are green.

Hello mbondy,

Thanks for your post.

To summarize, you can only have one account position and can have multiple strategy (virtual) positions. As you described, one strategy went long 2, the second strategy went short 2 which flattened your account position. The first strategy has a virtual long position and when it exits the 2 longs the strategy would be flat but your account position would then be 2 short as the strategy closes it virtual positions and places live orders. The second strategy is currently 2 short, when it exits (in this example) the strategy would be flat and it would issues live buy orders which then flattens your live position. This is just an example to explain. Certainly other sequences could occur which could have further unexpected results.

To avoid this situation you would need to have/use a second account where each strategy can then have its own account position.

Please review the helpguide here for further clarification: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG..._account_p.htm
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hmmm. Okay, thank you for the reply. For some reason, I was under the impression that it was possible to have simultaneous account positions on a single instrument regardless of the directional bias.. similar to the way a hedged position would work.
      If this is in fact not true then I can see why I would have to trade the strategy on a separate account.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
      5 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
      Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:00 AM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH