Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Ruler Comment

Hi guys

Some more comments about the ruler. I've been using it for two days now and I can see that there seems to be a trade off between the ability to have multiple rulers on a chart and the simplicity of taking a quick simple measurement and being done with it.

I was trying to figure out for a while the reason that you have this secondary click and then the box only shows up with the measurement at which point you drag it around and place it, presumably having multiple rulers means each having it's own measurement and so you need to attach a box to each ruler, the management of the placement of these boxes is obviously an issue and so the onus is put on the user, hence the need for this part.

This makes the thing really a bit clumsy for those of us who want to take quick simple measurements during our trading and not worry about actually placing the rulers on the chart and dragging them around and adding secondary or third ones etc., let me illustrate my point.

I believe most would be looking to use the ruler for two types of measurements. This is how it currently works on 7.

Point to Point
    ===========

1. I hit my hot key
    2. I choose the data series.
    3. I click known point A.
    4. I click known point B.
    5. I now see the measurement but still have to drag around this box and place it with a left click or cancel it with a right click.

Not to bad, could be smoother.

Point to Unknown Point (Projection)
    ==============================

1. I hit my hot key
    2. I choose the data series.
    3. I click known point A.

At this point I now want to see what point is 80 ticks away from point A.

4. I drag it up (no site of box or any idea), so I randomly drop it around. Now the box appears and I can see I'm 69 ticks away.

5. Ok, now I have to go and place the box somewhere and drop it.
    6. I still want to know what 80 was so I go and pick up my secondary point by clicking on it and dragging it up further, this time as the box is visible I can see where I'm going.
    7. I find 80 and choose to place it with a left click or want to cancel as I know the point but don't want the ruler on there so I right click, cancel no longer instantly drops the line, I now have to choose remove in the grey box by left clicking.

This seems a trivial issue but I find it so cumbersome that it's almost not worth bothering with. It seems to me the ruler is currently designed for doing chart illustrations so that one may illustrate distances on a chart to others and perhaps have the need to illustrate the distance between 2 or more points on the same chart at the same time. Can't think that this would be often.

As a trader and not a teacher I simply want to take a quick measurement, check the risk reward of a potential trade or distance to next S&R etc.

Perhaps the option for a "Fast Ruler" would be appropriate. Like so:

1. Hold Hot Key.
    2. Choose point 1.
    3. Box appears out of line of site. As I drag around my pointer the box shows me the distance of where I am from my starting point.
    4. Once I've measured the distance I let go of the hot key, back to normal cursor, measurement box vanishes. Job done.

This caters for both scenarios quickly and efficiently.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I see your point and I will put this on our feedback list at this time since I want to focus on other priority issues and will revisit this at a later time.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

No problem, I understand that there are more pressing issues.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by michi08, 10-05-2018, 09:31 AM
      5 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
      Started by The_Sec, Today, 02:29 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post The_Sec