Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Clarification of SetStopLoss and SetProfitTarget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification of SetStopLoss and SetProfitTarget

Hello,

I am using the Order Management Approach, with SetStopLoss, SetProfitTarget, and Entry Limit orders.

I understand the SetStopLoss and SetProfitTarget behance as OCO orders.

I am concerned what happens if price actions moves so fast and my profit target or stop loss price order is skipped. This happens alot on the /CL market.

I understand that SetStopLoss orders are entered as stop loss market orders.

For example, if my SetStopLoss is set at 50.78 ans SetProftTarget was set at 51.00. Example if for the long position case.

1. What happens if price jumps below the stop loss order to 50.75? Will the order trigger at best price?

2. What happens if price jumps above profit target order to 51.05? Will the order trigger at best price?

Thanks

Hello simple_goodoboy,

If your long entry order was filled and by the time your stop and profit target had reached the exchange, the price had broke lower than your stop price, the stop order would be rejected. If the price had moved higher than your profit target, your profit target would be filled at the best bid, so a better price.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_AlanP; 06-23-2017, 07:46 AM.
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AlanP View Post
      Hello simple_goodoboy,

If your long entry order was filled and by the time your stop and profit target had reached the exchange, the price had broke lower than your stop price, the stop order would be rejected. If the price had moved higher than your profit target, your profit target would be filled at the best bid, so a better price.

Thank you AlanP for the response.

Lets assume the stop price and profit target price was at the exchange and both orders was pending execution waiting for either order to trigger.

1. What happens if price jumps below the stop loss order? Will the order trigger at best price?

2. What happens if price jumps above profit target order ? Will the order trigger at best price?

I am assuming the answer is yes for both questions. Of course i will be testing this for every trade before going live.

Thank you

Comment

Hello simple_goodoboy,

In the case where you are long and the market gaps below the sell stop market price, your sell stop market order would be filled at the best bid, which could be much lower than your stop price. The exception I can think of would be if the market opened locked limit down.

In regards to your question, “What happens if price jumps above profit target order”, this would only be possible if the market was closed and reopened above this price, at which point your order would be filled at the best bid upon reopen. In this case, better than your profit target.

Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
        3 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
        Started by Johnny Santiago, 10-11-2019, 09:21 AM
        95 responses
        0 likes