64 bit - NT 8 and Win10 64 bit - won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit - NT 8 and Win10 64 bit - won't start

I installed VS 2015 community Ed, and now I can't start either NT7 or 8. attached is a screen shot of where it is hanging.
    Attached Files

There was a post yesterday about win10 and unable to access files that was similar.

Comment

Hi joromero,

Yes, VS 2015 Community Edition is not yet supported for NinjaTrader 8. There is an open feature request to add support for it under the internal tracking tag SFT-324.
      <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AlexC View Post
        Hi joromero,

Yes, VS 2015 Community Edition is not yet supported for NinjaTrader 8. There is an open feature request to add support for it under the internal tracking tag SFT-324.
        I understand and have read the request to support VS 2015 directly. I am dead in the water. Neither NT7 or NT8 will start.

I have uninstalled VS 2015. Still no go. I tried to repair NT 8 - reboot, no go. I uninstalled NT8 - reboot, reinstall, reboot again, still no go.

Here is a possible thought, but I don't know how to fix it. I signed into my MSFT account, when in the past I had been using a 'local' acct to sing into Win10. I switched back, but I think that has messed up me accessing the files / data in my Users/John/My Documents/ .. where Ninja has some files.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by joromero View Post
          I understand and have read the request to support VS 2015 directly. I am dead in the water. Neither NT7 or NT8 will start.

I have uninstalled VS 2015. Still no go. I tried to repair NT 8 - reboot, no go. I uninstalled NT8 - reboot, reinstall, reboot again, still no go.

Here is a possible thought, but I don't know how to fix it. I signed into my MSFT account, when in the past I had been using a 'local' acct to sing into Win10. I switched back, but I think that has messed up me accessing the files / data in my Users/John/My Documents/ .. where Ninja has some files.

Any suggestions?
          You will probably have to use the OS to take ownership of the folder and its files. But first check the permissions. The OS may have reset your permissions on the folder and files. You may simply have to add yourself back.

Before you ask, yes, I have seen multiple times in recent Windows (7+) where I am a member of the Administrators group, and the group has full permissions, but I get access errors until I add my specific logon to the permissions. (In other words, where permissions do not propagate in the manner that the literature describes).

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AlexC View Post
            Hi joromero,

I understand that VS2015 is not yet supported. That does not mean it will not work, though. A number of us use it successfully. Starting it automatically from NT does not work, but you can point it at the NT solution file and go from there. Edit and save file in VS, NT automatically recompiles. Breakpoints work. etc.

--EV

Comment

problem solved. both for NT 8 and NT 7. MSFT suggested I use a recovery checkpoint to go back before the issue started. That did not work. I tried to change the attributes on the User\John set of folders - That did not work. What did work was to change the properties of NT7 and NT8 to be -> Run as administrator. Both programs are running fine now. Also, I have reinstalled VS 2015, and it is running fine, even though it is not "integrated" to NT8 directly.

Hope this helps someone in the future. I am not sure why things got messed up, b u t , I am running again, and that is what matters.

John

Comment

I'm glad you have a workaround so you can get on with your work.

NT should not, and must not, need to be run as administrator, though.

--EV

Comment

I´d like to share my trace file error issue in Win 10/NT7:

The trace file error dialog showed the NT default document path was changed to my OneDrive folder. Moving the "Documents/Ninja Trader 7/*.*" contents to "OneDrive/Documents/Ninja Trader 7/" resolved the issue and NT started up without problems. Compiling however does not work since the complier wants to work in the "genuine" default directory.

As far as I understand the default NT document path cannot be changed from within the NT GUI. The change of default path hence is unclear to me.

An explanation could be the indicator that loaded at startup ran indicator code that pointed to a OneDrive folder for file outputs. It seems NT7 behaviour is not without bugs in Win10.
                  Last edited by FREEN; 01-13-2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                  5 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                  Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post DanielSanMartin