NinjaTrader Connection Guide for FXCM
- NinjaTrader 8 or later
- Valid FXCM account (hedging disabled)
- Logon credentials provided by FXCM
Connection Configuration Instructions
- NinjaTrader 8 must be installed
- Start NinjaTrader 8
- From the Control Center window, select the menu "Connections” > “configure”
- Select "FXCM" from the list of “Available” connections and then press the “add” text from the “Configured” section below
- The Connection “Properties” section will be made available on the right side
- Enter your FXCM credentials as per the image below:
- Connection name: Create a name to identify your connection
- Connect on start up: Enable if you want NinjaTrader to automatically establish a connection on start up
- User name: Enter your FXCM account user name
- Password: Enter your FXCM account password
- Ask password on connect: Enable to require manually entering the password when connecting (Password field above will be disabled)
- PIN code (optional): Only use if directed by a customer service representative
- Demo: If the account is a funded trading account, disable the "Demo" checkbox. Otherwise, for free trials and demos, leave the “Demo” option enabled. (Note: Live accounts can still trade in simulation and require a live license to trade live)
- NinjaTrader historical data servers: For optimal performance, enable the "NinjaTrader historical data servers" checkbox
- Local OCO simulation: Enables NinjaTrader to handle OCO (one cancels other order handling) on your local PC
- Press OK
To connect to your account, go to the NinjaTrader Control Center window, select the menu "Connections" and then select your account “Connection name” you configured during step 6.
Once connected, you will see your connection highlighted in the connections menu per provider. There is also an aggregated connection status in the bottom left hand corner of the Control Center. For more information please see the "Connection Status" section of the help guide.
- Chart data is driven from the current bid price.
- For positions that are scaled in, when exiting, FXCM will report multiple executions to match the scale in executions.
- Connection losses to FXCM are only reported approximately 1m30s after the fact from the API. It is possible to already be disconnected from FXCM and not have NinjaTrader be aware of this.
- Using the same FXCM account in NinjaTrader and FXCM's trading station at the same time can cause oddities in both software since they share the same API connection. If you closed an instrument in FXCM's trading station, that instrument will no longer receive quote updates in NinjaTrader.
- For any order submitted during a prior trading session, if it was filled or cancelled before connecting or during a connection loss on the current session NinjaTrader will be unable to determine the order state. As a result NinjaTrader will set this order to a state of “Unknown” in the event that it was filled or cancelled prior to reconnect. It is your responsibility to call your broker to determine the true state of this order.
- Duplicate executions may appear in NinjaTrader if an open position is older than 3 days ago.
- Accounts created for MT4 are NOT supported in NinjaTrader and can lead to incorrect order and position handling. If you have previously used MT4 with your FXCM account, please check with your broker to ensure your account will work with NinjaTrader