Day trading is defined as opening and closing a position within a single trading session. Most day traders make use of leverage and short-term trading strategies to take advantage of small price movements throughout the day.
Day traders typically trade frequently as they attempt to take advantage of short-term market moves. This accelerated approach helps new day traders gain experience quickly while also developing a consistent approach without long-term risk or exposure.
As long as appropriate risk management measures are in place, day trading can be a viable approach to the forex markets.
3 Reasons the Forex Market Is a Fit for Day Trading
- Liquidity: When seeking instruments to day trade, liquidity is an important factor. With players from all over the world, forex is among the most active global markets.
- Volatility: Global macroeconomic events such as interest rate decisions, central bank changes or international trade disputes can create volatile moves in forex markets. Many forex day traders seek to take advantage of these opportunities with short-term trades.
- Flexibility: Forex trades 24 hours per day Monday through Friday, which allows forex day traders to select exactly which time(s) of day they wish to trade. No matter the schedule, forex provides an opportunity for every trader to tackle the global currency markets.
What Do Forex Day Traders Look For?
With the goal of a consistent trading approach, day traders often seek certain characteristics when targeting trade opportunities.
- Low Spreads: The spread is the difference between the ask and bid prices for a given currency pair. Forex day traders seek to trade currency pairs with the lowest spread possible. The smaller the spread, the lower the transaction cost to trade a forex instrument. A low spread is also known as a “tight” spread.
- Small Time Frames: Short term forex traders tend to focus on smaller time frames to highlight fluctuations in the market. Since forex is leveraged, even small price movements can result in a trading opportunity.
- Risk Reduction: Conversely, leverage can also lead to larger losses including exceeding the original amount traded. Therefore, risk reduction measures such as stop losses, trailing stops, and appropriate position sizing should be employed.
Why Trade Forex with NinjaTrader?
NinjaTrader’s award winning platform empowers forex traders with industry-leading analysis, trading and automation capabilities.
Traders can open a new forex trading account through NinjaTrader’s forex brokerage for as little as $50.
Ready to Get started with Forex?
Download the NinjaTrader forex trading platform & receive unlimited FREE access to real-time & historical forex market data. NinjaTrader is always free to use for advanced charting, backtesting and trade simulation. Get FREE Forex Market Data!