NT7 & Displaced Moving Averages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 & Displaced Moving Averages

Does NT 7 support displaced moving averages? More importantly, when the DMA is shifted to the right will the average line plot past the latest bar on the plot? In v6.5 the DMA is truncated at the last bar.

Also how does one sign up for the beta program?

From reading the posts and the level of activity here, it looks like NT7 is going to be a great product. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
    Greg

Hi Greg,

The displacement feature in NT7 works the same as NT 6.5, nothing has changed here. I am not sure what you mean by truncated. All that happens is the plot values are shifted to the right by X where X is the number of bars offset to the right.

We are not accepting anymore beta requests at this time, however we are not too far away from releasing public beta.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Shifting to the right....

Ray:

Thanks for the quick response.

If the DMA is shifted to the right, there will be DMA data that extends past the current bar by the amount of the shift. So if you have a 3 period shift. There will be 3 periods of data to the right of the last bar (into the future where there is no data yet.) The current version does not show this data.

Thanks,
      Greg

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, this data is truncated and is so for NT7. There are no current plans to change this.

Comment

Displaced moving average on NT7

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
          Thanks for the clarification. Yes, this data is truncated and is so for NT7. There are no current plans to change this.
          Is there a reason that you need to truncate the data when displaying a displaced moving average? The data is already calculated and available. Why truncate it? Since I trade with displaced moving averages, I believe this is a major flaw in an otherwise very good program.

Comment

Originally posted by steves215 View Post
            Is there a reason that you need to truncate the data when displaying a displaced moving average? The data is already calculated and available. Why truncate it? Since I trade with displaced moving averages, I believe this is a major flaw in an otherwise very good program.
            Programattically we do not support plotting of indicator plots to the right of the current bar. Changing this would not be a trivial matter.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
              Programattically we do not support plotting of indicator plots to the right of the current bar. Changing this would not be a trivial matter.
              You misunderstood me. I am not talking about plotting the displaced moving average past the current bar. I am talking about plotting the displaced moving average at the current bar. Now, if I were to place a displaced moving average (25 sma displaced by 5), the last 5 bars of the chart has no moving average plot. Displacing the moving average means to shift the moving average plot over to the right by 5. Thus, you should be able to plot the moving average up to the current bar.

Comment

steves215,

I am not sure what you mean. If you are displacing an MA to the right, all bars still have values. There is nothing truncated from there. The only thing that won't show are the values that would be superpositioned over non-existent future bars.

So, if you displaced a MA to the right by 5, that would mean you have 5 data points for the MA that would be for future bars. While those future bars do not exist, the MA values are not shown on them. All currently existing bars do have the correct displaced MA values.
                Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What I am trying to say is that whether you plot a regular or displaced moving average, all bars up to the current bar should have a moving average plot. In NT7, the displaced moving average plot is stopped prematurely. I have uploaded two charts for comparison. One is from NT7 and the other is from another charting software.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by steves215; 04-16-2010, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Steves215,

That for sure is not expected. This would be classified as a bug. I have a few questions for you since I can not reproduce it on my side.

- What version are you using? Help > About
                    - Can you paste an image of the Indicator dialog window with your SMA settings?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I am using version 7.0.0.14. Attached is the indicator dialog you requested.
                      Attached Files

Comment

steves215,

Do you have an indicator template set to that SMA? If so, can you please attach it? Thank you.
                        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

No. I fixed my problem by delete NT7 and NT6, then reinstall NT7. Everything works as expected once I reinstalled.

Comment

I am glad its resolved, however, if you see this again, please let us know since I am real curious to figure out how to replicate that. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

Plotting discrepancy

Have a discrepancy in the plotting of a 200EMA (yellow line) in nt7. In nt6-5 I have a SP500 weekly chart with a 200EMA.The 200EMA is above the price data which is where it should be. In nt7 I have a SP500 daily chart with the 200EMA set on weekly data. The 200EMA is below the price data. Appreciate any feedback on how I can correct this.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                              Started by KennyK, 05-29-2017, 02:02 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post marcus2300