Allow quicker chart display update interval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow quicker chart display update interval

Please re-enable quicker chart update interval settings. In NT6.5, I use a setting of 0.01s. I find this setting to be not too CPU intersive and yet it's faster than most monitor's refresh rate. So it makes charts feel as if they are showing every tick. At 0.1s, the update is too slow and looks arbitrary.

The ability to have quick update interval is very important to me. Had I not been able to do this in NT6.5, I would have gone with Ensign and a different broker completely.

We added your request to the list of future considerations.

FYI: You probably are aware that the human eye only can catch up to 24 changes a sec. Which would be a ~0.04sec refresh interval. Thus a 0.01 refresh period would make no sense.

Comment

Actually the periperal vision of human is faster than that. That's why TVs runs at 60Hz to avoid flickering. For me personally, I still see the monitor up until about 85Hz. So it does make sense to have some margin and set it at 100Hz. But in any case, a 0.1 interval is just too slow for even the slowest eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
        FYI: You probably are aware that the human eye only can catch up to 24 changes a sec. Which would be a ~0.04sec refresh interval. Thus a 0.01 refresh period would make no sense.
        Well, 0.1 is still not 0.04...

You could add a "enable power user settings" switch or something, instead of getting rid of previously available settings.

Why do you guys make such arbitrary decisions? Why do you think your program will be better by such simplifications?

I am feeling that NT7 is going to a direction, where user decisions are more limited. Not good, not good at all, if you consider that one of the main advantages of NT compared to other platforms (like Tradestation eg. )is that it is customizable on an extreme level by .net programming. So if you take away basic customization options you are taking a different path... And then what remains?

Trading is the most fierce race on Earth. We need tuned race cars, not comfortable family cars...

Comment

Thanks for your feedback.

>> Why do you guys make such arbitrary decisions?
          Incorrect, this decision was well thought.

>> Why do you think your program will be better by such simplifications?
          Since people get themselves less in trouble than before which already is proven by the beta phase.

Comment

>> Why do you guys make such arbitrary decisions?
            Incorrect, this decision was well thought.
            Arbitrary decision is not about time spent on it, not about how smart it seems. It means, you close the user off.

>> Why do you think your program will be better by such simplifications?
            Since people get themselves less in trouble than before which already is proven by the beta phase.
            Now this is one weak excuse, without any offense. Following this thought you could disable programmability, because people can get in trouble by poor code...

When talking about users, we are talking about traders. This is a profession. An extremely competitive one. So we need precious tools. Competitive ones. Not simplified, foolproof ones. NT could be the best tool for the job, if it went for even more options instead of less. This is my humble opinion after 7 years of trading, and 10s of used platforms.

To get back to my previous example: you shouldn't FORCE tempomat to a race car, just because some drivers crash with the default gas pedal.

If you want to save peoples asses, put exclamation marks, write more info, make it harder to change, but please, not impossible.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Just a quick idea, which is very easy to implement:
                If someone lowers the value below 0.1, a window pops up: "You can cause serious system instability by setting this value below 0.1. Do you want to proceed? Y/N"
                By hitting N the default value comes back.

This way everyone is aware of the risk, and still can lower the value. And it is only 2 lines of code.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately at this time we have no plan to change current behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapzap View Post
                    Just a quick idea, which is very easy to implement:
                    If someone lowers the value below 0.1, a window pops up: "You can cause serious system instability by setting this value below 0.1. Do you want to proceed? Y/N"
                    By hitting N the default value comes back.

This way everyone is aware of the risk, and still can lower the value. And it is only 2 lines of code.
                    Forget about this, they are not going to change it. We already had a discussion about this a long time ago in beta and had to yell and scream just to get it to .1 refresh rate. They originally had the global application locked at .5 seconds where you couldn't adjust it on a chart-by-chart basis. If you want to refresh your chart more frequently, just write an indicator that calls ChartControl.Refresh() on OnMarketData(), like this:

if (DateTime.Now > lastRefresh.AddMilliseconds(refreshDelay))
                    {
                    ChartControl.Refresh();
                    lastRefresh = DateTime.Now;
                    }

It's not officially supported code, but it works fine.

Comment

Okay, thanks JS999, NT is still great for botching up all the needed things.
                      It's just got beta public today, so a second turn is to be expected on all the annoying issues.
                      Last edited by Zapzap; 04-15-2010, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Okay, thanks JS999.
                        It's just got beta public today, so a second turn is to be expected on all the annoying issues.
                        Yes, and we can expect it again when it gets to the release version and a lot more people get access to it. It would have been a lot worse if we hadn't raised hell to get it down from the original .5 seconds locked refresh rate. In the first beta you didn't even have an option to change it at all.

Comment

Arbitrary decision is not about time spent on it, not about how smart it seems. It means, you close the user off.

Now this is one weak excuse, without any offense. Following this thought you could disable programmability, because people can get in trouble by poor code...

When talking about users, we are talking about traders. This is a profession. An extremely competitive one. So we need precious tools. Competitive ones. Not simplified, foolproof ones. NT could be the best tool for the job, if it went for even more options instead of less. This is my humble opinion after 7 years of trading, and 10s of used platforms.

To get back to my previous example: you shouldn't FORCE tempomat to a race car, just because some drivers crash with the default gas pedal.

If you want to save peoples asses, put exclamation marks, write more info, make it harder to change, but please, not impossible.

Comment

why is chart is only refreshing every ONE second?

My charts seem to be refreshing at ONE (1) (I) SECOND intervals, not 0.1 second intervals. This was really galling during the 1,000 point Dow crash on Thursday (May 6). If I set the Display Update Interval of the chart to MORE than one second, it WILL slow down even more. If I set the Display Update Interval to LESS than one second, the refresh rate remains one (1) (I) second.

Even when I have an indicator with the code to force a refresh every 10 milliseconds, the refresh rate remains the same. Any suggestions?

I am using NT7 B15 with Zen. Thanks.

Comment

Ricam, did you make the 0.1 second update interval the default for all charts? If not, then the setting would not be persisted. If NT doesn't like 0.1 seconds, have you tried something like 0.11 or 0.2 seconds?
                              AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DayTradingDEMON, Today, 09:28 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DayTradingDEMON  
                              Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes