Collapse

RC1 and "loading data" crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an ongoing disaster. I can't get NT up and running.

For the last 5 attempts or so, NT hangs on loading a chart and the last couple of times it is $EURAUD. The other charts are not a problem. It doesn't matter if I try EURAUD first or after loading 5 others.

PS In case it's relevant, I have chart trader open on the chart all the time. Although EURAUD has no positions or orders or even strategies running against it.
    Last edited by adamus; 11-08-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Hello adamus,

To troubleshoot the initial issue, can you please send me your strategies as well.

I checked your trace file, however it did not contain information why NinjaTrader hangs. The last data that is loaded from IQFeed reflected in the trace file is related to the USDJPY.

2010-11-09 04:42:56:091 (IQFeed) Data.Bars.GetBarsNow: instrument='$USDJPY' from='2010-11-01' to='2010-11-09' period=1 Min splitAdjusted=False dividendAdjusted=False bars=0 session=''

2010-11-09 04:42:59:024 (IQFeed) Data.Bars.GetBarsNow: instrument='$USDJPY' from='2010-11-09' to='2010-11-09' period=1 Min splitAdjusted=False dividendAdjusted=False bars=0 session='Forex'

2010-11-09 04:43:00:241 (IQFeed) Data.Bars.GetBarsNow: instrument='$USDJPY' from='2010-11-08' to='2010-11-08' period=Daily splitAdjusted=False dividendAdjusted=False bars=0 session='Forex'

However no error or any other indication of an issue is listed. Can you please try a reboot of your PC or restart of NinjaTrader and check if NinjaTrader continues to hang when data is loaded.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I've already stated 3 times that the strategies I use were not even set up when this issue first occurred. The strategy tab was empty.

All this morning during this long phase of misfunction, the strategies were not running and had not been run during the current power cycle.

Yes I had positions on and yes I had orders in the market but the strategies were not running and the file resources used by the strategies were not open or locked or in any way touched by NT since I had restarted the computer.

I was desperately trying to ascertain whether the data NinjaTrader had for the instruments was correct or corrupt, another NT issue I have open with you. If the data was corrupt, I would reload the historical data before enabling the strategies.

Just because you can't reproduce it doesn't mean it has anything to do with my strategy.

As you can probably figure out, I am not going to send you my strategy.

If you therefore can't help any more, then thanks and I'll probably speak to you soon about another issue.

By the way, the hanging data load has not recurred since 07:00 GMT+0.

Comment

I am referring to the crashes that occurred while you had strategies running (post # 5-6).

You currently report that NinjaTrader gets stuck on loading data. However it does not crash - I checked your latest trace file but it does not list a crash. So these are two separate issues.

Comment

NT didn't crash because I didn't hang around waiting for it to crash. I saw the first symptom and realised it was game over, so I exited and started again.

I did experience a couple of "real" crashes this morning too, including the one I described a while back in an email to you - unfortunately I have no reference for it because your built-in email submission system doesn't let me see a list of all the submission I've made. However it was triggered by the middle mouse button click on the chart window.

Comment

Hello,

This middle mouse click, do you remember if it was during market replay?

If so this issue has been identified and will be resolved in the next release.

Thanks again for reporting..

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

It was a chart showing an instrument on the real-time price feed.

Comment

Ok, as per the hanging data load, can you please check if you can reproduce the issue tomorrow around the same time. You mention it does not occur after 07:00 GMT +0, please test it before this time.

In order to troubleshoot the crashes that occurred when you were running strategies, we will need your workspace and strategies.

Can you please send me your trace file for today again. The trace file you posted does not list any crashes, however it only contains data up to 4:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Jason

here's the trace file.

Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello adamus,

Your trace file lists the crash below.

2010-11-09 05:20:36:916 ********* exception trapped *********
                      2010-11-09 05:20:36:916 Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
                      Parameter name: index
                      2010-11-09 05:20:36:916 at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)

Unfortunately I am not sure why the crash occurred. However the trace file displays you lost connection with IB about half a minute before the crash.

2010-11-09 05:19:55:499 (IB) Cbi.ConnectionStatusEventArgs.Process: ConnectionLost ConnectionLost

I tested clicking the middle mouse button in a chart after a connection loss with IB, but I could not reproduce the crash so far. Are you able to reproduce it?

Comment

I have only suffered this crash twice in six months and I don't know how to reproduce it, sorry.

Comment

I see, please keep an eye out when this crash recurs and let me know.

Comment

I get data load crashes constantly. I am using MBTrading and don't know if that is a factor, but as soon as I connect, the data attempts to load and it hangs....then crashes. It is VERY frustrating.

This phenomenom occurs in cycles. I can go for a few weeks and then it starts again. I re-boot, re-start, close my charts, close everything, delete workspaces. Nothing. I loaded NTRC1 and it is currently working, but tenuously. I can tell that anytime a download is required (it is slooowww and always keeping me guessing if crash is next) everything is working very hard or slow. Also, tons of data gaps in historical data. I'm convinced MBT data/servers are part of the problem.

I wish there was a good data source that also provided historical data and worked with Ninja. With the futures market, forex and equities now more fragmented thanks to big brother, finding a single, reliable trading platform is too patchy!! (but that is a different topic)

Comment

Hello billr,

When you state that NinjaTrader crashes, am I correct you receive an error that states to send us your trace file? If so, please post your trace file. You can find trace files at the following location.

Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> Trace--> trace.20101111 for today. (trace.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Do you notice any consistencies when the issue recurs again?

As per NinjaTrader 7, our preferred market data service is Kinetick. Real time service starts as low as $50 per month or completely free if all you need is end of day data. If you trade CME Globex products, you can have these exchange fees waived if you have a qualified brokerage account. This service is only available for NinjaTrader 7. Please visit www.kinetick.com for more detailed information.

Comment

Hi Billr, I don't know if you will think it's worth it, but I get historical data from IQFeed for about $80 USD a month. The historical data download is a dream. Obviously it is a different data source and you can see the difference in the charts but for me, it's the only reason I can stay with NT + IB.

I checked out MBT as a possible alternative to IB, but it sounds just as bad. Thanks for the info.

Jason, I would love to see the spreads for Kinetick on the forex currencies if you have them.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by samish18, Yesterday, 08:31 AM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post elirion
                                by elirion

Started by funk10101, Yesterday, 09:43 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes