RC1 and "loading data" crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC1 and "loading data" crashes

This has happened three times today so I don't think it's just bad luck, I've not seen NT act this way before more than once a month, so I suspect there is something wrong in NT7betaRC1.

I have about 20 forex pairs in the Market Anaylzer with an indicator column, reading the feed from IB.

I also have one chart window open. I switched to $GBPUSD and expected to see an instantaneous display of the latest bars because GBPUSD is set up in the Market Analyzer.

However "loading..." appeared in the CC status line, and then after a few minutes the chart went blank with the message in the top left corner "loading data". After a few seconds the windows changed to "Not responding" and NT had obviously crashed.

After 15 mins, several dialog boxes appeared and the one on top was the Windows "this program appears to have crashed, send data about NinjaTrader to Microsoft?".

I clicked "close" and it all shut down and I now I am sending you the traces and logs.
    Attached Files

Hello adamus,

I checked your trace file an it lists the crashes below.

2010-11-04 06:01:10:727 ********* exception trapped *********
    2010-11-04 06:01:10:727 Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
    2010-11-04 06:01:10:727 at NinjaTrader.Data.MarketDataEventArgs.Process()
    at NinjaTrader.Cbi.Connection.OnRealtimeDataTimerTick (Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndPr oc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

2010-11-04 21:59:43:109 ********* exception trapped *********
    2010-11-04 21:59:43:109 Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
    2010-11-04 21:59:43:203 System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
    at System.Timers.Timer.MyTimerCallback(Object state)
    at System.Threading._TimerCallback.TimerCallback_Cont ext(Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading._TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallba ck(Object state)

Can you please check if your PC clock is in synch. If so and the issue recurs after a restart of NinjaTrader, please send me your workspace. You can find workspaces at (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->workspaces.

Please send it to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. Put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header and reference this thread.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason,

my computer clock is within 5 seconds of the clock in IB TWS and www.timeanddate.com

It syncs regularly. Out of interest how often would you advise to configure its sync routine & why, in terms of causing problems with NT?

I attached my workspace folder.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ideally you would have your PC clock synced right before you connect. Less is fine, but it should be synced regularly enough that things don't get too out of whack.

From the looks of your traces, but never restart your NT. Your NT is already out of memory and anything downstream is just not predictable. Please restart NT. I suspect you are running out of memory because NT is simply trying to load a ton of data. As it tries to load it all it needs to store all of that information in memory and with so many instruments it could potentially just run out of RAM to do the process all at the same time. You could try opening your Task Manager and tracking RAM usage as you load data to confirm/deny this.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Josh,

I restarted NT after each crash. I didn't have a choice since it crashed and wasn't running anymore!

In fact I even restarted windows on one occasion.

I'm not sure what you're looking at in the traces that makes you think I'm getting out-of-memory exceptions and ignoring them and carrying on regardless trying to trade.

Perhaps you have misinterpreted the fact that I allowed NT about 15 mins to try to come back from the dead before Windows itself finished it off automatically. This is NT7.

re memory: I only have 20 forex pairs loaded in Market Analyzer and one chart. During normal operations it doesn't have any hardware resource problems - I bought the PC just to run NT and trade about 3 months ago.
          Last edited by adamus; 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Pardon that comment. I was looking at the wrong files.

I see you are running many strategies. What are the data requests for each of these strategies? Tick? Min? How many days back?

Another possibility could be if the strategies are using custom resources and they are not being disposed properly. You could run out of memory that way too. Or the undisposed resource could originate from an indicator on your chart too.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The strategies are all 60mins time frame, although I was experimenting with 10mins for a while to try to get more turnover to flush any bugs out.

I load 5 days back and 55 bars required.

Actually at the time of one or perhaps two of the crashes I didn't even have any strategies loaded.

What are custom resources? I think the only custom resource I use is a file handle to do some logging but that's opened once at init and closed at terminate so it's just the one handle.

I don't have any indicators on the chart and on the Market Analyzer I only have ATR.

I think from the resources point of view I'm not doing anything noteworthy really.

This is on Win7-64. Plus I'm using IB with history turned off and IQ FXCM for history as the second connection.

Comment

adamus, your file handle would be an example of a custom resource. Can you please list the exact steps you're following that lead to the crash so we can try to reproduce it?
                AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

regarding the file handle, I open a file in the initialize() and keep the reference to it in a variable. Then I write stuff to it onBarUpdate(), and close it on terminate().

As I said though, one of these crashes occurred when I didn't have any strategies set up or running, so the file handle is a red herring.

To reproduce the error exactly I can't give you any better info than I did in my first post - I switched to the chart and selected GBPUSD and it crashed. That was one time. The other times were similar.

I was connected either to IB on its own with historical data enabled, or I was connected to IB first with historical data disabled and secondly to IQFeed.

Comment

Adamus, unfortunately my IB connection is not cooperating at the moment. I'll either check this out later tonight or have someone else take a look tomorrow.
                    AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Austin View Post
                      Adamus, unfortunately my IB connection is not cooperating at the moment.
                      I know that feeling.

Comment

Hello adamus,

Can you please send us your workspace you have opened when the crashes occur. Please send us all strategies you use as well, so we can take a look for any loose ends with custom resources not being disposed properly.

You can send it to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. Please put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header and reference this forum thread.

If the files are larger than 3 MB, please use www.filexpressit.com to send the files.
                        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Recurrence of crashes

I have just started the computer. I started up IB TWS and then NT7 and the workspace with a Market Analyzer and a Chart opened automatically.

I then made connections to IB, and 2nd, IQFeed.

I waited until the Market Analyzer had populated its indicator column.

I chose the first symbol in the default list for the chart. $AUDCAD.

I started the strategy on this instrument.

I changed the chart to the second instrument, $AUDCHF, and then clicked the Enabled box for the strategy. However the Control Center went into "not responding" state. The Windows Task Manager showed full CPU usage on one core, and the Physical Memory Usage started climbing. After a few minutes I killed NT7.

Starting again, I open NT7, the workspace opened, I connected to IB and then IQFeed, and this time I thought I would check the charts first. I left the strategies, and just cycled through the instruments in the chart window. I got through about 6 instruments and then I saw that $EURAUD was missing some bars, so I right-clicked and chose "Reload all historical data".

The words "Loading data....." appeared in the top left of the chart and remain there now, 10 minutes later.

So at this point there are no strategies running and there are no resources open - I just double checked.

Please find the workspace files and the trace / log files attached.
                          Attached Files

Comment

NT has just hung again on loading data for a chart.

As above, I had no strategies running, I had the Market Analyzer open and I had one chart window. I had checked the charts for about 8 other instruments until the last one hung.
                            Attached Files

Comment

And again.

This time I was able to view all 22 instruments one after the other, and to reload historical data, but on selecting the first instrument again, it hung.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                              11 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jculp
                              by jculp

Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
                              0 responses