Chart rendering issue in VM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart rendering issue in VM

When using a VM, the rendering of charts does not work properly. It shows the desktop behind the application. Only when I click and hold onto the chart's title bar and move it around do the candlestick bars show up, but the moment I let go, it goes back to showing the Windows desktop underneath.
    Attached Files

No problem on my VMs, connecting in RDP.
    Maybe a VirtualBox rendering issue.

Comment

Thanks sam. Hm. On two of my VMs from VirtualBox it shows up the same way. Anyone else able to test VirtualBox to confirm on theirs that it isn't just something wrong with my VM setups?

Comment

Originally posted by uacvax View Post
        Thanks sam. Hm. On two of my VMs from VirtualBox it shows up the same way. Anyone else able to test VirtualBox to confirm on theirs that it isn't just something wrong with my VM setups?
        What version of VirtualBox are you using?

Mine works fine, on ver. 4.3.26 (most current), albeit the Operating System is Windows 10, not what you are showing.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
          What version of VirtualBox are you using?

Mine works fine, on ver. 4.3.26 (most current), albeit the Operating System is Windows 10, not what you are showing.
          Thanks koganam. I was on 4.2 earlier, tried 4.3.26, didn't make a difference. Do you have guest additions installed? I even upgraded the guest additions with Direct3D support to no avail. Attached screenshot are my display settings on the VM. Do you also have 3D and 2D acceleration checked?

Let me try a VM on Windows 10 as well.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by uacvax View Post
            Thanks koganam. I was on 4.2 earlier, tried 4.3.26, didn't make a difference. Do you have guest additions installed? I even upgraded the guest additions with Direct3D support to no avail. Attached screenshot are my display settings on the VM. Do you also have 3D and 2D acceleration checked?

Let me try a VM on Windows 10 as well.
            Actually I do not have 3D and 2D acceleration checked. I shall have to enable them and see what gives.

I have installed the Guest Additions. But remember that the Display Driver does not install correctly on Windows 10, and is disabled by the OS. Maybe that is the difference?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by koganam; 05-05-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
              Actually I do not have 3D and 2D acceleration checked. I shall have to enable them and see what gives.

I have installed the Guest Additions. But remember that the Display Driver does not install correctly on Windows 10, and is disabled by the OS. Maybe that is the difference?
              Seems 3D/2D makes no difference. Windows 10 works here as well. In my Device Manager for Windows 10 it shows "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8" installed and working properly.

Whatever the issue, Win10 works, but Win7 does not for me in VirtualBox.
              Last edited by uacvax; 05-05-2015, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Same here, no bars in VM.

Oops, never mind. No bars with Kinetick End Of Day but bars with regular Kinetick data.

Dan
                Last edited by eDanny; 05-05-2015, 04:26 PM.
                eDanny
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

uacvax, this is strange for sure. Just letting you know it's on our radar but as it stands we'll have to reproduce. Let us know if you find some sort of environment setting on that VM that at least changes the behavior, if not completely resolves it.
                  MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I installed the WDDM drivers from the Guest Additions (not the basic D3D support) and enabled Aero theme on the Win7 VM. It seemed to help a little by bringing the bars up on chart load, but the moment I scroll the chart it doesn't keep up with the scrolling properly like how it does on Win10.

Really not sure what else can be checked. This is off a 100% clean barebones install of Win7 SP1.

My host computer uses a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti on drivers latest drivers.

Comment

Update:

We were able to reproduce this same behavior in house on virtual box. This was due to low color resolution (16 bit instead of 32 bit color resolution) and beta 2 will resolve. Bump up the graphics resolution in windows to resolve and allow 16 bit color resolution to be used.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                      Started by KennyK, 05-29-2017, 02:02 AM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post marcus2300