NT8 Userbility Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 Userbility Features

1. No way to id windows opened- no list anywhere: caption is general needs dataseries or template: http://screencast.com/t/cOK3IYqPpTRS

2. unable to layout windows via the OS - so it takes hours to do something that takes < 1 sec int NT7 http://screencast.com/t/BYIcgPdrH9
    Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Please add a menu to list the windows and allow basic ui window control -cascade/ side by side etc

3. when opening a chart > dataseries - ui does not persist last choice - NT7 did this

4. Indicators only allowed 1 template - that is not correct in the real world people have many settings for an indicator for different instrument/dataseires/ scenarios- this is so easy to add pls do it to prevent the need for for developers to complete that feature NT you need to do this and standardize it: http://screencast.com/t/6ZMsh7fgw

5. keyboard shortcuts required for loading templates > http://screencast.com/t/WrPh6s8htK - takes too long to do this with the mouse on 20 windows it would add hours per week this type of thing

6. workspaces menu - needs keyboard shortcuts - too much mouse clicking still http://screencast.com/t/Ym82jfpBIcP4

7. chart properties - pop menu - no keyboard shortcuts: http://screencast.com/t/jn113CU6q - takes hours instead of minutes to arrange a lot of windows and flip through changing templates - too much mouse = too much time-
    NT7 did this very good in comparison

8. templates - too much mouse again - default list should be pre populated with shortcut accelerator key to load: http://screencast.com/t/lAElvwLF

9. folder browsing is too long : http://screencast.com/t/WD0RIb6fA needs some standard ui control to enumerate folders for quick results

10. import form > enumerating/ auto search/auto complete style folder lookup for paths: http://screencast.com/t/lVz1fZPnnAt

11. Windows > charts - we know its a chart - there is large big red lable saying chart in the way - this needs to say sometging useful about the contents of the chart: http://screencast.com/t/oi9lFLH71f

look at the NT7 windows - with the caption better design when you have say 20 charts open on a monitor and need to see what the chart is

12: strategy analyzer features - no way to save the settings as a template: http://screencast.com/t/lCwaspVdWl
    - this is almost useless without the ability to save settings as a template for use later - as some strategies have 100s of parameters. People give up and don't bother with the Analyzer due to that reason alone... its ok for strats with a tiny amount of parameters - but this is the new world of trading and it needs to support sophisticated implementations

13:strategy analyzer - 1 tick resolution required in dropdown:

14: compiler - to prevent the need for your clients to recompile all their code base when we make a non breaking code change to an assembly they reference - please allow a simply advanced view to select which version we want to set: http://screencast.com/t/OVlYtrbCXd or allow compile in Visual Studio -

15: Export - should default to the product name and set the uppercase character on the first letter: http://screencast.com/t/uE3qwAsBS

16: when compiling on a remote server it was not possible to know if it tried to compile or succeeded - no message anywhere: http://screencast.com/t/Oz8MbaiN18
    MicroTrends
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - micro-trends.co.uk

Thanks for the feedback...

1. This can be resolved by changing the tab name variable to fit your needs. The caption shows the window name - tab name. The tab name has different variables to show different amounts of data. Right click -> Properties -> and click the down arrow on the tab name field. Here you can change it to any other format you like and match NT7 if you wanted (+ Add your own marker)
    2. Unfortunately due to the window type we use it doesn't support this function. I'll add to the list some feature that would allow us to simulate the same behavior ourselves in the product.
    3. Will check into implementing, was not on purpose removed. NTEIGHT-8178
    4. Thanks will add to feedback list to add this feature. On purpose we wanted to keep it simple and only have a preset for indicators however if multiple templates are in demand we could look into implementing. SFT-311
    5. Added your feedback here: SFT-312
    6. We do have hotkeys for changing the workspace like NT7. To make sure we are on the same page you want keyboard shortcuts for open,load,save correct?
    7. Sorry dont understand. Properties has a hotkey with Ctrl + T.
    8. Shortcut accelerator key -> Ok I now understand. Checking with development to see if this is a change between Winforms/WPF technology or something we missed implementing. Will get back.
    9. We had to develop our own custom file loader since we needed support skinning and regionalization properly. If you have any specific feedback on what your looking for there I could get that recorded and looked into.
    10. Added your feedback here: SFT-313
    11. This is a design decision. You do have options however. Go to the properties on the chart and change the tab name using the down arrow to select a variable keyword. Select something that will show all the data you want in the tab.
    12. Yes you can save the property as a default after the optimization. Select the optimization row then select in the settings panel "template" -> Save. It will save with the selected values as indicated in the settings panel with the "(" + ")" number in the parameter field.
    13. Feedback stored here: SFT-284. Originally not allowed since its performance prohibitive to do that many data points just for order fill resolution.
    14. Please create a new individual thread on this so I can better understand your idea + discuss. As the info you provided here I do not believe that solves the root problem unless I'm missing something. Version number has nothing to do with code being able to compile or not on a clients PC.
    15. Good idea. Added here. SFT-314
    16. Feedback added here: SFT-45

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
      4. Thanks will add to feedback list to add this feature. On purpose we wanted to keep it simple and only have a preset for indicators however if multiple templates are in demand we could look into implementing. SFT-311
      13. Feedback stored here: SFT-284. Originally not allowed since its performance prohibitive to do that many data points just for order fill resolution.
      4. I think the demand is quite big - I don't think you will find single user arguing against it.
      13. If 1 tick (or at least 1 range bar) won't be available we will be forced to use secondary bar series inside of the strategies just as we do in NT7 - so there will be no performance benefit - just a pita for us. Moreover you will keep answering posts on "inacurate backtesting" forever . This is especially crucial with the emergence/explosion of new custom bar series you may expect.
      So my suggestion is to give us the power to use even 1 tick just don't set it up as default

Comment

BTW, Is there a way for us to track/see the tickets you give us the IDs (eg.SFT-311) now, or if not - is there a plan for the future to provide the access (eg. adding our votes)?

One more thing regarding 1 tick resolution - I think I won't lie by saying that it was the most awaited feature of NT8 in the area of strategy development/backtesting

Comment

User Microtrends posted
          "2. unable to layout windows via the OS - so it takes hours to do something that takes < 1 sec int NT7 http://screencast.com/t/BYIcgPdrH9

Please add a menu to list the windows and allow basic ui window control -cascade/ side by side etc"

You responded:

2. Unfortunately due to the window type we use it doesn't support this function. I'll add to the list some feature that would allow us to simulate the same behavior ourselves in the product.

This is, in my opinion, an essential feature to be added. I spend a significant amount of time in Ninjatrader 7 rearranging windows, when your competition (especially esignal) simply have options to fit windows side by side as best as they can to maximise screen real estate.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
            Thanks for the feedback...

1. This can be resolved by changing the tab name variable to fit your needs. The caption shows the window name - tab name. The tab name has different variables to show different amounts of data. Right click -> Properties -> and click the down arrow on the tab name field. Here you can change it to any other format you like and match NT7 if you wanted (+ Add your own marker)

3. Will check into implementing, was not on purpose removed. NTEIGHT-8178

5. Added your feedback here: SFT-312

6. We do have hotkeys for changing the workspace like NT7. To make sure we are on the same page you want keyboard shortcuts for open,load,save correct?

7. Sorry dont understand. Properties has a hotkey with Ctrl + T.

8. Shortcut accelerator key -> Ok I now understand. Checking with development to see if this is a change between Winforms/WPF technology or something we missed implementing. Will get back.
            9. We had to develop our own custom file loader since we needed support skinning and regionalization properly. If you have any specific feedback on what your looking for there I could get that recorded and looked into.
            10. Added your feedback here: SFT-313
            11. This is a design decision. You do have options however. Go to the properties on the chart and change the tab name using the down arrow to select a variable keyword. Select something that will show all the data you want in the tab.
            12. Yes you can save the property as a default after the optimization. Select the optimization row then select in the settings panel "template" -> Save. It will save with the selected values as indicated in the settings panel with the "(" + ")" number in the parameter field.
            14. Please create a new individual thread on this so I can better understand your idea + discuss. As the info you provided here I do not believe that solves the root problem unless I'm missing something. Version number has nothing to do with code being able to compile or not on a clients PC.
            15. Good idea. Added here. SFT-314
            16. Feedback added here: SFT-45
            Thanks all for the input

#2 Really vital i still have not found the time to layout the windows have open in NT8 the task is way too clumsy and long to do...the windows seem to be far slower than windows forms for ui reaction mouse messaging etc- especially when on VPS via remote etc...

#4 is really huge... massive please add it while you have a chance - we know this is an incredibly simple low impact easy to test and change user functionality - it can use the same user story/pattern and components as you already use for the strategy... or we will miss the window of opportunity for something really incredibly simple and vital for those who know what is needed in a trade platform - if you want to show and appeal to more commercial users you should add this... think of the round turns)

#6 - yes

#7 - open a chart in NT7 > right click the chart > press T > press L > use the keyboard letters or arrows to select the template > press enter.... You cannot do this in NT8 needs putting back - this is critical time management userability

#8 "windows forms File open dialogue" is great example of function... i realise that WPF used to open the same thing.... but i am sure telerik or devexpress have something???
            DevExpress provides best-in-class UI controls for Blazor, WinForms, WPF, ASP.NET, MVC, Bootstrap, ASP.NET Core, VCL, JavaScript, iOS and Android .NET developers.

12... GREAT! that is a huge improvement..... the best after charts loading data! sorry i missed it i was looking for something to jump out at me - didnt see it - a case of user learning/training

13. is needed - would a be great to have it as native... minutes are not accurate at all... and a half way house but a welcome addition compared to nothing - what about 1 second if you don't want tick by tick? dev's will just add it to their strategy base classes... the overhead is understood already by the people who understand the benefit of why it is vital for some backtesting scnearios

14. here goes: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...d.php?p=409945
            MicroTrends

Comment

Originally posted by scottphillipsau View Post
              User Microtrends posted
              "2. unable to layout windows via the OS - so it takes hours to do something that takes < 1 sec int NT7 http://screencast.com/t/BYIcgPdrH9

Please add a menu to list the windows and allow basic ui window control -cascade/ side by side etc"

You responded:

This is, in my opinion, an essential feature to be added. I spend a significant amount of time in Ninjatrader 7 rearranging windows, when your competition (especially esignal) simply have options to fit windows side by side as best as they can to maximise screen real estate.
              I know it's a cosmetic issue but one I myself spend a lot of time dealing with. In the end I resorted to a Windows plugin utility that allows me to quickly sort all visible windows into a grid. It's limited however as it also pulls open Explorer or text editor windows which I then have to minimize.

Stacking windows without wasting time and screen estate quickly is one issue. IMO what's also needed is a dynamic way to adjust the grid. Imagine you have a grid of six windows and want to shift one of the windows around. This should affect the remaining windows in that workspace by shifting their borders as well. I have produced a little demo video to give you a rough idea of what I'm talking about:

Comment

Exactly so! Any input from Ninjatrader team on this?

Comment

Originally posted by scottphillipsau View Post
                  Exactly so! Any input from Ninjatrader team on this?
                  Yes the go it on the list... etc

the tabbed charts save me hours but i like to see many windows say 20 to 50 sometimes side by side...etc and i would not live long enough to do that by hand :-)
                  MicroTrends

Comment

Agree with MicroTrends and gregid that this would indeed be a great improvement to see. There are loads of indicators which would benefit from multiple templates (e.g. almost any intermarket indicator if you want to do away with hardcoding).

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                    Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB