Missing Code Breaking changes from documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Code Breaking changes from documentation

I thought a thread listing code breaking changes that are currently missing from documentation may be useful for both testers and NT staff to update the docs.

So here is the first one:
    In old DataSeries you could use:
    Code:
    series.Get(index)
    to get the value at the index, now with Series<T> it has changed to:
    Code:
    series.GetValueAt(index)
    Last edited by gregid; 05-06-2015, 10:58 AM.

Hi gregid,

Is DataSeries.Get() or BarsArray[index].Get() listed in the help guide.

I was thinking this is not documented at all but I could be wrong about this?

Do you have a link for this in the help guide?

(edit)
    Are you referring to .GetBar() or .GetDayBar()?
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nt7/getbar.htm
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 05-06-2015, 11:20 AM.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I don't know if it was in the help guide or should be there in the future - I will let you guys decide that - I am just listing the changes I needed to make during conversion

Edit: I was only referring to DataSeries and Series<T>

Comment

Thanks Greg... the intent of the code breaking changes for NT8 was to provide a 1:1 relationship between documented code in NT7 vs documented in NT8.

There for sure will be others and therefore we encourage you guys to keep discussion ongoing in this thread - I appreciate the initiative.

If there are any major show stoppers, or things which are missing from the NT7 help guide, let me know and we'll be sure to have the official code break docs updated.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 05-06-2015, 12:42 PM.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Also, NinjaTrader 8 has thousands of methods and properties which can be used for various functions across a ton of classes. We're attempting to take a stance that NT8 documentation will be driven by customer demand. If you guys see useful functions/properties in NinjaTrader 8 you would like to be 'supported', let us know and we'll do a review on those, or provide alternatives.

Comment

One area that changed quite a lot yet I couldn't find any documentation about is Properties (both Indicators and Strategies). The decorators have changed, validation is no longer in the setter (at least as default), many samples use Auto Properties, placing properties in the Categories in property grid is also different.
            Some documentation in this area would be definitely helpful as people will have to convert hundreds of properties.
            Last edited by gregid; 05-09-2015, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Hello gregid,
              Originally posted by gregid View Post
              One area that changed quite a lot yet I couldn't find any documentation about is Properties (both Indicators and Strategies). The decorators have changed, validation is no longer in the setter (at least as default), many samples use Auto Properties, placing properties in the Categories in property grid is also different.
              Some documentation in this area would be definitely helpful as people will have to convert hundreds of properties.
              Great suggestion. I've passed this along to the development team.

Comment

Let's take this one step further. Given that many of these conversions are simply grunt work it may make a lot of sense to produce an NT7-NT8 converter utility. Especially for properties and such, perhaps even data series and indicator initialization. This could save all of us weeks of manual labor.

What say the rest of you guys?

Comment

From our perspective: We have absolutely no plans to create a utility which would convert 3rd party code. A code converter would work for simple renames but in the case of changed functionality it will not (and even could mask the changed behavior). Since a code converter will not work in all scenarios we opted not to build one. We are all off the position that anyone converting from NT7 to NT8 behind an editor should be fully immersed in the changes involved so there are no surprises.

However if user here wants to take a crack at a converter for personal use... as a hint... there is a .json file in the source of the breaking changes page which could theoretically be used...

Comment

Personally I am fine with just a very good documentation in this area for very simple reason - it allows me to review my old code - yes the process is tedious but already made few improvements. I wouldn't mind someone creating the converter but I will have to pass on this opportunity

While discussing properties - in one thread that I can't find now we were raising issue of the random order of Groups of properties - I don't recall any resolution to this issue so let me ask again. Would it be possible to make group order editable or if not than at least alphabetic order?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post

However if user here wants to take a crack at a converter for personal use... as a hint... there is a .json file in the source of the breaking changes page which could theoretically be used...
                      Treasure hunt! Well, I looked at the page file and no JSON file to be seen. If you guys want to share it I'm sure someone would give it a try.

Comment

Hello,

Look for codebreak.json on line 610.

Comment

Yup, I found it. Thinking about how this could be used. Clearly it's its own project which is outside my scope of things I am able to do right now. But perhaps it's possible to leverage this for some type of syntax highlighting.

Comment

Hi gregid,

I wanted to give you a link to a page where we have documented properties for NinjaTrader 8.
                            http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=5782

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                              Hi gregid,

I wanted to give you a link to a page where we have documented properties for NinjaTrader 8.
                              http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=5782
                              I just want to add that the old style of configuring properties still works - meaning defining a private variable and using that in the getters/setters. I had to use that approach with one of my indicators for an internal parameter. The new style is just more elegant and faster.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rajendrasubedi2023, Today, 09:50 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rajendrasubedi2023  
                              Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post geddyisodin