ChartStyle Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ChartStyle Registration

Part of today's discussion was around registration of ChartStyles. It sounds like we can now have up to 65535 ChartStyles registered under NT8. There is also some desire to register the chartstyle so no-one may select the same number (400 for example).

My initial thoughts are this for registration:
    Range Comment
    0-99 These numbers should be reserved for future NT product development and should not be used by outside parties
    100-59,999 This would be the available pool for chartstyles distributed into freeware and/or commercial applications (Registration recommended, see below)
    60,000-65535 PRIVATE USE, anyone developing or experimenting with chart styles for personal or development purposes can use numbers in this range (should be reassigned above if distributed), you would personally be required to maintain different numbers to suit your personal need

REGISTRATION RECOMMENDED:

For the 100 - 59,999 block, it would be recommended to send an email requesting either a specific number (or assigned by NT), your product would be listed on a table (hopefully on-line) so others can find your chartStyle reference code. Also, if 2 vendors have the same code, the one with the code listed at NT would have the ability to tell their customers, their product is properly registered. The other vendor should correct the conflict.

Registration would not be required, but again recommended. If you chose not to request the registration number, that vendor/developer runs the risk in the future of someone formally requesting the number and being pressured into changing the code number.

I think the registration would be good for developers to look-up the proper code when adding a new series (I don't know how to do that yet with NT8 and custom chartstyle).

Comments?

Its a good idea, kind of like a TCP/IP Port list for services on each 'port'. I'm not sure we have the resources at the moment to implement however in the near future we do have plans about expanding NS resources and even a possible NS portal of sorts. I have some other ideas around this as well which I wanted to research so may be more in this area soon. Thanks for posting the idea though.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by mmenigma, Today, 02:22 PM
    0 responses
    1 view
    0 likes
    Last Post mmenigma  
    Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
    9 responses
    0 likes