FX Pip Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FX Pip Size

I might have missed this in the platform and the documentation, and apologies if that is so.

NT7 allowed setting Pip Size (Pip, Half pip, Tenth Pip) in Options. Where is the equivalent in NT8? And does NT8 now support smaller Pip sizes (e.g. micro lots ... or even individual units)?

Thanks.
    Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
    jeronymite
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Pip size is determined automatically from the provider. This is to prevent rounding issues when configuring a pip size which is not native to the provider.

Everything in NinjaTrader 8 is Tenthpip under the hood.will display in whichever format the provider sends.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

FX Pip Size

Thanks, Matthew.

Is this change documented somewhere? If not, please add to the list of recommended updates.

Thanks.
      jeronymite

Comment

FX Pip Size

Further exploration of this shows that Sim101 has a default lot size and lot increment of 10K. A live account such as FXCM has a lot size and lot increment of 1K in, for example, ChartTrader.

Realistic simulation requires Sim101 to accurately reflect the account/provider being simulated. It does not seem possible to set Sim101 to have a lot size and increment of 1K. Am I missing something? If not, it is essential to allow the lot size and lot increment of simulation accounts to be settable.

Thanks.
        jeronymite

Comment

The change is not explicitly documented, but I will review the documentation to see where this can be made more clear. Thanks for your feedback.

For the Sim101 account, it now has a user defined concept of 'Forex lot size'. To set this up, navigate to the Accounts tab of the Control Center, right click on the Sim101 account and select "Edit" and from the Account Properties window, you will find a "Forex lot size" field.

If you change that from 10,000 to 1000, your quantity selector will now increment in a lot size of 1000, rather than 10,000s

Additionally, middle clicking on the quantity selector from a trading interface will bring up a new Preset Quantity Pad where you can define different initial lot size or increment sizes for the trading interface.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
            The change is not explicitly documented, but I will review the documentation to see where this can be made more clear. Thanks for your feedback.

For the Sim101 account, it now has a user defined concept of 'Forex lot size'. To set this up, navigate to the Accounts tab of the Control Center, right click on the Sim101 account and select "Edit" and from the Account Properties window, you will find a "Forex lot size" field.

If you change that from 10,000 to 1000, your quantity selector will now increment in a lot size of 1000, rather than 10,000s

Additionally, middle clicking on the quantity selector from a trading interface will bring up a new Preset Quantity Pad where you can define different initial lot size or increment sizes for the trading interface.
            Can that setting be programmatically queried? I am calculating my Forex sizes automatically in units. I then need to divide that by the account's quantity selector. So for FXCM 198,768 units would turn into 199 micros.

Comment

Originally posted by molecool View Post
              Can that setting be programmatically queried? I am calculating my Forex sizes automatically in units. I then need to divide that by the account's quantity selector. So for FXCM 198,768 units would turn into 199 micros.
              You can use the ForexLot Size from the Account class Accounts collection:

Code:
              //find by account index
              Print(Account.Accounts[0].ForexLotSize); // 10000

//alternatively, find by name
              Print(Account.Accounts.FirstOrDefault(a => a.Name == "Sim101").ForexLotSize);

Comment

Code:
                //find by account index

Brilliant - thanks a bunch, Matthew

Comment

Code:
                  //find by account index

Follow up question: Am I correct in assuming that there is no equivalent call in NT7? Meaning for FXCM for instance which uses micros as a basis I have to manually convert 15,978 units to 16? Just making sure... thanks in advance.

Comment

Correct, NinjaTrader 7 did not have a concept of lot size you could reference.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by lorem, Today, 09:18 AM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post lorem
                    by lorem

Started by hazylizard, Today, 08:38 AM