Z order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z order

Will there be improvements in how the Z order is handled?

In NT7 controlling this within the coding of an indicator is difficult and does not always work as expected. Futhermore, I have found once set, it does not remain. For example if a screen refreash occurs sometimes it forgets the z order other times it remembers its.

I can reproduce this issue using drawdot I created an indicator that draws a dot on the chart as the highest volume location within the bar. For example if a bar is a 4 tick range bar, I draw a dot at the price point of the bar with the largest accumulated volume for that bar. Getting this dot to appear on top of the bar and remaining on top (z order) is not consistent in NT7

Also, in NT7 the on chart control features such as the >| (upper right hand corner to end of chart icon) should be always the most pickable, this is not the case today. If I try to select the >| when an indicator is behind it, sometimes the indicator is picked instead of the >|
    Last edited by tulanch; 05-13-2015, 09:51 PM.

There is a SetZOrder() method which should help in this area, as well as providing more documentation. However ZOrder can still get tricky when dealing with multiple indicators and chart objects. The methods provided should help determine a desired level, rather than having to pin down an absolute index, which was always difficult before

The return to end of chart control you mentioned has been improved where it will actually light up a bit when it's highlighted to ensure you've got it selected before clicking. We've also improved some selection areas around it
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I don't know if I have fully understand your answer. But in NT7 I have always wondered to be able to edit the z position of the objects. Because in most trading programs I have used, the user has the capability to have the indicators in the chart in front of the price bars not behind as happens in NT7. Will there be the possibility to set the order of visualization the objects in NT8?

Thank you.

Comment

The response above was in terms of programmatically controlling the Z-Order from a script.

If you are speaking from the user interface, you can select the desired indicator on the chart use the SHIFT key + Scroll Wheel to control the order of indicators/bars/chart objects. This is the case in NinjaTrader 7 as well.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
        Started by TradeForge, Today, 02:09 AM
        1 response
        0 likes