• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Data Storage Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Storage Location

One very challenging thing for me with NT7 is that I can not choose where to store market data. It is required to be on my primary hard drive in my computer. I would like to be able to store it on my much larger secondary HD.

Is this, by chance, something that is available in NT8? Pretty please? I'll be your best friend forever? I will even buy you an ice cream???

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Both NinjaTrader 7 and 8 require that user data be stored within the Documents folder. With that said, one can assign the Documents folder to any drive. To redirect the folder:
    1. Right-click the Documents folder, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Location tab, and then click Move.
    3. Browse to the location where you want to redirect this folder.
    4. Click the folder where you want to store the files, click Select Folder, and then click OK.
    5. In the dialog that appears, click Yes to move all the files to the new location.

More information about this process can be found at the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Data Storage Location

jg123 raises an interesting point. Many commercial products with default installation folders also allow the user to choose a different installation folder.

Please consider this. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jeronymite View Post
        jg123 raises an interesting point. Many commercial products with default installation folders also allow the user to choose a different installation folder.

Please consider this. Thanks.
        You can choose an installation folder at install time. And you can always mount a different partition or folder from another drive into the documents folder and use it as a NinjaTrader data store. Actually, that is what I do on my NT installations: mount a separate partition to hold all my NT data, so that backup is just a matter of copying the entire partition.

Admittedly, that is a somewhat geeky endeavor. Then again, it would appear that it is only we the geeks who understand or feel the need to control these things anyway?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Everybody on this forum is always so quick to give good responses.

First of all, Kyle

I haven't tried your suggestion yet. I have a question of how this would work. Wouldn't it be that if I change where the documents folder is that I would have to also change which file path ninja trader searches for? Or does t somehow automatically detect where it is?

Kogonam: so if I uninstall NT and reinstall it on my secondary internal HD then that would work? I assume that I would then have to manually move all of the data over too.

The goal is not for backing up - the primary goal is to move all of this massive amount of data on to my much larger HD so that my primary can be used for normal computing purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by jg123 View Post
            Thanks for the replies. Everybody on this forum is always so quick to give good responses.

First of all, Kyle

I haven't tried your suggestion yet. I have a question of how this would work. Wouldn't it be that if I change where the documents folder is that I would have to also change which file path ninja trader searches for? Or does t somehow automatically detect where it is?

Kogonam: so if I uninstall NT and reinstall it on my secondary internal HD then that would work? I assume that I would then have to manually move all of the data over too.

The goal is not for backing up - the primary goal is to move all of this massive amount of data on to my much larger HD so that my primary can be used for normal computing purposes.
            That depends on what you want to do. I refuse to install applications on my system drive, so I do install NinjaTrader to a different drive. In fact, I refuse to install applications which insist on installing to the system drive with no choice, such as many Microsoft bloated applications now do. (Have you ever tried to install WebMatrix? ).

I also move the Documents folder to a data drive, and then mount a separate partition for the NinjaTrader data.

As far as the Documents folder, if you move it properly, it becomes the system Documents folder and is registered that way, so NinjaTrader will just use it.

Comment

Hi jg123,

As koganam has already indicated, NinjaTrader will automatically pick up the change in the Documents folder's location, No additional steps like reinstalling NinjaTrader should be required.

If other questions on this topic come up please let me know.
              KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Here's the best way in my opinion (Assuming you'r on Windows Vista or later) and simple non-geek instructions how to do it.
                1. Close out of NinjaTrader completely
                2. Move the folder to where you want it
                3. Download Symlink Creator.exe (Free)
                There's no install required just unzip the file and use it. Here's a link to the developers GitHub page if you want to investigate before you download it.
                4. Create a Symbolic Link as shown in the attachemnt (Replace the "<YourUserFolder>" with the appropriate value)

Note: Once created it will appear like a simple shortcut but do not be fooled it is actually a Symbolic Link or Symlink. You can verify this by right clicking and checking the properties for the size. A normal shortcut will have a size of typically less than 5 KB but a Symbolic Link will show the size of the target.

Here's the geeky explanation from Wikipedia.
                Attached Files

Comment

The core program files can and always have been user definable on installation. What is not defined at that time is where the user data directory which holds your market data, configuration files, workspaces, indicators, etc. Historically, this will look for the Documents environment folder and this is still the case with NinjaTrader 8. The instructions provided before will still apply to NinjaTrader 8, however it does require you re-route your entire Documents directory.

With NinjaTrader 8, there is now a command line switch that can be manually be appended to the end of a shortcut's target which will then look for the NinjaTrader's user data directory in a non-standard location.

To set this up:
                  • Ensure NinjaTrader 8 has been installed and is operational from the standard C:\Users\<User name>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 location
                  • Once verified, manually copy the existing user data directory in Documents\NinjaTrader 8 folder to a desired location
                  • (i.e., from C:\Users\<Use name>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 to D:\MyNT8)

After the folder and its contents have been copied over, you can then add the command line switch to a shortcut's target:
                  • Right click on an existing application shortcut, such as from your desktop or the start menu-> select "Properties"-> select "Shortcut" tab.
                  • Update the "Target" field with the /d switch and include your desired location:
                  • (i.e., "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin\NinjaTrader.exe" /d "D:\MyNT8")

Click image for larger version

Name:	mynt8.png
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	873662

After this has been set up, when you click on that application shortcut it will look for the user directory in the desired location. This will allow you to store your user data in another disk or folder without having to redirect your entire documents directory.

Please let me know if you have any trouble. We hope our ice cream overfloweth.
                  Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 05-26-2015, 12:50 PM.
                  MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Hi,

Does this still work? Tried but hasn't changed the location where the data is sourced from. Tested by removing tick data from the new location and then when checking in historical data viewer it still shows the tick data.

This is using NT8 Beta 12.

Is using the 64 bit version. Had to create a new shortcut on the desktopo as could edit the target of the existing shortcut. Settings in the shortcut are

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin64\NinjaTrader.exe" /d "F:\NinjaTrader"

Start n: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin64"

Thanks

Comment

I just tested here and it worked on my end.

I would double check the Target location. If there is a typo or using difference cases (for example), it would not launch to the new location.

Regarding your test, your cache might be throwing your results - as a real quick test, just create a save a new workspace with a unique name, and check in if it shows up in the <new location>\workspace folder, or the default Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces folder.

I did try your test and works as I expected, but please make sure you have NinjaTrader shut down if you're manually deleting files.
                      MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Matthew. Test again this evening and it's working correctly now. Very useful feature.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by terminatorT1000, Today, 06:40 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post terminatorT1000  
                        Started by Giudiver, Today, 04:29 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Giudiver