Request: Want to see connection names again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request: Want to see connection names again

Personally I don't care much about the lack of context in the bottom left corner of the NT8 console panel. In NT7 I was able to see all connection names which is crucial for me. I am using several data feeds - at minimum a forex, a futures, and a broker feed. And on my production system I just added eSignal as a backup. If one of them goes down I definitely need to know. Now the current NT8 interface is giving me this:

I'll never know if one of my feeds goes down, so I don't see the utility here. Can we at least make this an option in the settings please?

Can the rest of you guys please chime in as well? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by molecool View Post
    Personally I don't care much about the lack of context in the bottom left corner of the NT8 console panel. In NT7 I was able to see all connection names which is crucial for me. I am using several data feeds - at minimum a forex, a futures, and a broker feed. And on my production system I just added eSignal as a backup. If one of them goes down I definitely need to know. Now the current NT8 interface is giving me this:

I'll never know if one of my feeds goes down, so I don't see the utility here. Can we at least make this an option in the settings please?

Can the rest of you guys please chime in as well? Thanks in advance.
    Yes. In this case, less is definitely not more. I want to be able to see which connections are up, without having to hover a mouse or anything else: I want to see it at a glance.

Comment

I agree also.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback,

Just to make sure we're on the same page. If any one of the multiple connection goes down then the indicator would not be green. It always will show the 'worst' connection state and only show green if all connections are green.

Does this fact change your guys opinions or still prefer the old style?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
          Appreciate the feedback,

Just to make sure we're on the same page. If any one of the multiple connection goes down then the indicator would not be green. It always will show the 'worst' connection state and only show green if all connections are green.

I still prefer to look and know exactly which one has gone down, rather than hover a mouse, or open a menu.

Comment

Understood, noted.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback,

I guess another reason would be that you know you haven't forgotten to connect to A,B or C data connection, or have the correct ones, without further investigation.

If real estate is an issue - maybe let us type in a connection name..
              TD Ameritrade is pretty long, so I would use "TDA",

Comment

I agree wit the need to see each connection name

I agree wit the need to see each connection name and it's connection state
                Red green and orange in NT7 worked well

Comment

Appreciate the feedback,

Hi Brett - yes, that's actually what I was expecting and I suspected that's what you guys were doing. However for me personally it's still a bit of a problem as I then have to navigate around and lose valuable time.

I suspect you guys want to keep the interface clean and from a human factors perspective I totally get where you are coming from. So how about something like this?

We could assign letters as identifiers to each data feed. You could even have each firm design their own little button - which would be cool branding. And it's still in the spirit of keeping it clean and a bit more spiffy
                  Attached Files

Comment

Not a bad idea thanks for posting. I suspect one letter might not be enough in some cases is my only concern but I like where your heading. Added your image to SFT so we could further discuss internally.

Comment

Not a bad idea thanks for posting. I suspect one letter might not be enough in some cases is my only concern but I like where your heading. Added your image to SFT so we could further discuss internally.
                      I like it!!! short, sweet, aesthetically pleasing.. add my vote.. Not sure I see a problem with the one letter approach.. Beings we create our own connections names, just use the first letter of the name, which will give all the control to the customer as to what is displayed..

-=Edge=-
                      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

Originally posted by -=Edge=- View Post
                        I like it!!! short, sweet, aesthetically pleasing.. add my vote.. Not sure I see a problem with the one letter approach.. Beings we create our own connections names, just use the first letter of the name, which will give all the control to the customer as to what is displayed..

Glad you like it :-)

Way way back - in a time when dinosaurs ruled the world - I used to do some interface/UI design. Then got sucked into more systemic development but GUI design was my early passion. Happy to help.

Comment

I would also suggest that the 'full name' of the connection is visible on mouse over - via a tiny info pop up.

Comment

Originally posted by molecool View Post
                            I would also suggest that the 'full name' of the connection is visible on mouse over - via a tiny info pop up.
                            Already there.. Connection Name - Status .. with hover..

-=Edge=-
                            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

-=Edge=- wrote:
                              Not sure I see a problem with the one letter approach.. Beings we create our own connections names, just use the first letter of the name, which will give all the control to the customer as to what is displayed.
                              I would offer an alternative, since it may be constraining to be "forced" to use the first letter where that may be ambiguous for various reasons.

If the connections were numbered automatically by NT8, those numbers would, for the most part, be single digits ("power users" with more than 9 connections would have to accept two digits ).

A second alternative would be, of course, to allow specification of the identifying text (maximum two characters, if you like) as part of the Connection configuration. The ultimate satisfaction is to be gained here, I think.
                              Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
                              jeronymite
                              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post trilliantrader  
                              Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM