Feature Request Access to future price data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request Access to future price data

I use a GANN tool (GANNacci) to looks for possible squaring of price and time. Sometimes it is useful to forecast when price and time would square in the future. As far as I can tell NT7 and NT8 need the bar to form before an indicator can read price, is this correct?.

What I am looking for is to project a line into the future and know what the price is on the right axis at that position.

Would it be possible to add this capability the NT8?
    Attached Files

Hello James108,

An indicator can read a value from a forming bar that is not completed if the script is running with Calculate on bar close set to true.

But you will not be able to set a value for a bar that does not exist.

However, with indicators in NinjaTrader 7 you have a displacement value. You can calculate a value in the future, set it for the current bar, and then displace the indicator forward to project ahead of the chart.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

James108,

My answer was about indicators and not drawing objects.

If you are talking about the anchors of a drawing object in NT8, yes, the price can be returned from the mouse pointer position by using GetValueByY. This would take the Y position and return a price for it, no matter what bar you are above.

Comment

thanks Chelsea

Does this Get Value by Y include points in the future ( no bar exists yet? ) For example in my screen shot could you query the extreme right end of the line and get pack the price is 1180.6 and the date is July 31,2015 ?

Comment

Originally posted by James108 View Post
          I use a GANN tool (GANNacci) to looks for possible squaring of price and time. Sometimes it is useful to forecast when price and time would square in the future. As far as I can tell NT7 and NT8 need the bar to form before an indicator can read price, is this correct?.

What I am looking for is to project a line into the future and know what the price is on the right axis at that position.

Would it be possible to add this capability the NT8?
          Change your cursor to a cross-hair, and you can read the time and price at any arbitrary place on the chart.

Comment

Thanks koganam

I am looking at a Ninja script being able to dynamically update the values of X Time and Y Price so that he formula can calculate whether of not Price and time would square at any given point in the future.

When I draw a line (F2) on daily chart with cross hairs on I see that the price updates correctly but the date on the X axis stays at the date of the late bar even thought the dates on the X axis show the future dates. Is it possible for a Ninja Script to query the actual date from the X Axis.

Sorry if this is too off topic but if this is not currently possible I feel it would be a worthwhile addition to NT8 not just for what I need but for any indicator or script that is try to forecast possable turn dates in the future..

thanks for your help

Comment

Thanks koganam

I am looking at a Ninja script being able to dynamically update the values of X Time and Y Price so that he formula can calculate whether of not Price and time would square at any given point in the future.

When I draw a line (F2) on daily chart with cross hairs on I see that the price updates correctly but the date on the X axis stays at the date of the late bar even thought the dates on the X axis show the future dates. Is it possible for a Ninja Script to query the actual date from the X Axis.

Sorry if this is too off topic but if this is not currently possible I feel it would be a worthwhile addition to NT8 not just for what I need but for any indicator or script that is try to forecast possable turn dates in the future..

thanks for your help
              Using the bar spacing and width, you can determine how many bars into the future a given x-offset is located. To convert this measure to a date/time will only be valid for fixed-time delineated bars, though.
              Last edited by koganam; 06-23-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Great this type of analysis is typically done on daily or weekly bars so in this case it should work fine if I understand correctly

thanks for your help

Comment

Great this type of analysis is typically done on daily or weekly bars so in this case it should work fine if I understand correctly

thanks for your help
                  For those type of bars, it most definitely should work properly.

Comment

Hello James108,

koganam is correct. The mouse pointer will provide a y value you can turn into a price. If you need an anchor this can be positioned over the blank area of the chart up to one chart space of blank space.

You can also calculate any values needed based on width. Then to set the value in the data box, set the plot to the calculated value and update this as the mouse moves (as long as the mouse is past the last bar).

(edit)
                    Wanted to add a quick mention that this workaround only works if equidistant bar spacing is enabled.

If equidistant bar spacing is disabled, the databox will show N/A for the plot value.
                    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 06-24-2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                    Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                    0 responses