Suggested Feature: NinjaScript Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggested Feature: NinjaScript Editor

With tens of thousands of lines of code, one invariably has many (many!) code regions defined (#region/#endregion). When in the editor, I find myself very frequently expanding/collapsing multiple regions, particularly when first opening an existing large source file for editing.

I would love to see the editor support a way of reducing the tedious overhead of finding and clicking dozens of region collapse/expand boxes in the margin.

I immediately think of Microsoft Excel and its ability to quickly collapse/expand any number of nested levels of rows/columns using the elegantly simple concept of numbered levels, displayed as clickable boxes that expand/collapse to the level clicked.

One could even consider just four buttons: Expand All, Collapse All, Expand One Level, Collapse One Level. That would certainly be sufficient as a basic implementation.

Such a feature in the NinjaScript editor would make coding so much easier/safer/focussed and save me (and many others, I'm sure) a large amount of clicking, not to mention boredom/frustration in the doing of it.

For your consideration, with thanks, as always! (And, of course, my apologies if such wonders already exist and I missed them.)
    Last edited by jeronymite; 06-27-2015, 12:16 AM. Reason: More ideas. [Oh no. I did it again. I meant to post to General Discussion. Apologies!]
    Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
    jeronymite
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Hello jeronymite,

Thank you for your post.

I will forward along your suggestions.

Comment

Hello jeronymite,

Thank you for your suggestion on how we can improve our product. It has been inserted into our tracking system with the unique ID # SFT-488.

Comment

#region

Yes...

NT8 does not use correct #region adnd this is very annoying when you code.
        #region is nothing more than a mean to structure mentally your code; once you cannot do this, you're suffering from double mental concentration effort.

Painful...

Comment

Hello nientenickgraze,

Thank you for your post.

#region and #endregion should be working as they did in NinjaTrader 7. Can you provide an example of how these are not working as expected?

Comment

"Expand All, Collapse All, Expand One Level, Collapse One Level."

I would like to add my vote for this. And by default, neither compiling nor changing the text of the file should change the collapse state of regions.

In NT8, the editor expands regions just because you insert, change or delete a single character in some situations (I believe it's on the first such change after saving/compiling.)

In NT7, compiling collapses all regions in the case of indicators, but leaves regions as they were in the case of strategies.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
              Hello nientenickgraze,

Thank you for your post.

#region and #endregion should be working as they did in NinjaTrader 7. Can you provide an example of how these are not working as expected?
              In NT8, the editor expands regions if one changes anything.

In NT7, compiling collapses all regions, in the case of indicators, but not in the case of strategies.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your additional comments.

I will forward these votes along.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post jeronymite