Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimum PC for NT8

Hi there

I'm about to start a new build for a PC. It's going to be a 4-6 monitor setup and I just wanted to ask you what the requirements for optimum performance of NT8 will be so that I don't go overboard with the specs. I will be using this PC ONLY for trading so if you have an existing configuration in mind please share

Thanks

It's all going to depend on what you do. I think it's too hard/early to say at the moment.

If playback/Backtesting won't be done on this trading only machine as you suggest, then you can lighten up some.

Graphics maybe more important also.

Comment

thanks for your reply. i'm just trying to get my head around CPU, motherboards and graphics cards as well as the RAM. I know that NT8 will split between the cores so any example configuration would be appreciated. No backtesting will be done but i do use alot of charts and types of charts (hence the 6-8 screens) as well as an add on DOM so my setup really isn't like a standard NT

Comment

Hello Scalper85,

Thank you for your post.

You can refer to the minimum PC requirements for NinjaTrader 8 below.
        • Windows Vista (SP2) w/ Platform Update, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 w/ Platform Update, Windows Server 2008 R2 or later.
        • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit or 64-bit processor
        • 2GB RAM
        • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (pre-installed on most PC’s and can be downloaded here: Microsoft .NET Framework)
        • Screen resolution of 1024 x 768
        • DirectX10 compatible graphics card highly recommended

Comment

Originally posted by Scalper85 View Post
          I'm about to start a new build for a PC. It's going to be a 4-6 monitor setup and I just wanted to ask you what the requirements for optimum performance of NT8 will be so that I don't go overboard with the specs. I will be using this PC ONLY for trading so if you have an existing configuration in mind please share

Just My personal opinion and recommendations for minimum requirements would be

Quad Core Processor (or better)
          (You won't regret getting an I7)
          8 gigs Ram (or more) - Rams Cheap!
          (Definite performance increase over 4)
          250 gig sata3 SSD (Intel or Samsung)
          (Noticeable 15-30% increase in speed loading OS/Apps vs standard 7200RPM HD)
          (If used for trading only, you could get by with 128g, but SSD's are Cheap Now!)

Video Cards might be a bit tricky and hard to say..
          I'm currently running 2 old Radeon 7790's 1gig 128-bit
          each driving 3 Dell 24in Monitors at 1920x1024 60hz
          and for NT7 and the last couple years they worked fine..
          for NT8 and next couple years currently looking to upgrade
          just haven't found that right deal yet and in no real hurry..
          but min will be 2g 256-bit (not partial to Radeon or NVidia)

Your Power Supply will be dependent on the Video Cards you choose
          750 Watt (minimum) if using 2 or more gaming style video cards
          But check those video card power specs as that might not be enough!
          DON'T SKIMP ON THIS, as unimportant as this component might seem!

Just my 2cents...

-=Edge=-
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

You can also find additional recommendations in the NT 8 Help Guide under the Closed Beta section -> Installation Guide.

Comment

I have a 6-Cores 5820k system with 32gb ram and gtx 980 Ti and i can say with confidence that NT8 uses it all, we have played with some intense codes on it and its mega fast.
              Huge leap over NT7 single-core limit.

Comment

Thx Kishisaki...
                Just to confirm, while running NT8 code (I'm assuming many charts with many indicators and/or strategies, you saw most of the RAM & over 50% utilization of threads & all 6 cores being used in "Task Manager" ?
                I too, like others, plan on building a dedicated system for NT8. I do have many charts and strategies running but wasn't sure if 6 cores would really help versus 4 and for most other things 16meg of RAM is rarely taxed but if it can be utilized, I will re-think 32 meg RAM since I must decide before buying (quad channel) so, I would have to replace the RAM to upgrade instead of just adding. Thx again..

Comment

Yes many charts were open with a few stock indicators and our own and a very basic strategy that makes call to NT ATM, i am a forex and future trader that uses multi-time frame analysis so the following chart were open plus some miscellaneous charts:

ES-YM-NQ-DX-EUR-GBP - Month/Weekly/Daily/4H/1H/15M

So around 40 charts total, you will be fine with 16GB RAM i just went 32GB because this is my main computer where i do everything on it so its not dedicated only to NT, and the CPU side the same thing you will be fine with the latest 4th gen Core i7 such as 4790K(5th gen coming this august 6700k) i would not go bellow that, and since NT8 use everything is future proof so an 6 core wont hurt and if you notice the difference in price for a Core i7 4790k and 5820k is minimum so getting the 6 cores is a much better choice even if you are not going to use it all right now, i overclock my 5820k(4.6Ghz) to match that of the 4790k so now i have both of both worlds cores and speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Randwulf View Post
                    Thx Kishisaki...
                    Just to confirm, while running NT8 code (I'm assuming many charts with many indicators and/or strategies, you saw most of the RAM & over 50% utilization of threads & all 6 cores being used in "Task Manager" ?
                    You should only see that during an optimization, or maybe come close in Playback.

If you see this when running NT during a live market, I'd be very concerned about your indicators/code efficiency.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
                    Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Aviram Y