Collapse

how to set up automated trading between eSignal and NT8? ntdirect.dll not found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to set up automated trading between eSignal and NT8? ntdirect.dll not found

I've used automated trading with the ancient eSignal V10 and NT7. NT7 doesn't work with eSignal V11 or V12, but I've read somewhere in the NT forum that NT8 would support eSignal V11 (and hopefully V12). Unfortunately, eSignal V10 reliably crashes nowadays so is unusable to me.
    I installed NT8 and when I put my eSignal formula (that I successfully use in NT7 auto-trading with eSignal V10) into the eSignal V11 or V12 charts then I get the message "Error: Function 'DLL': Failed to load 'NtDirect.dll': file not found.".
    Help!
    Also, in the documentation for NT7 there is sample code under Automated Trading Interface-->DLL Interface for both eSignal and something else (Trade Station?). BUT it is not there under NT8 documentation so no self-help there.
    Help!

If you have NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8 installed at the same time, the NTDirect.dll will fail.

However - thanks for reporting, we're looking into a potential issue with referencing the NTDirect.dll - NTEIGHT-8632 that may be causing issues regardless if you've uninstalled NinjaTrader 7

The eSignal efs script and the TradeStation easy language script were removed from NinjaTrader 8 due to lack of use. We do not have any plans to support and provided documentation for those interfaces, however if you have an existing efs script that reference the NTDirect.Dll, those functions should still work in NinjaTrader 8.

I will update this thread when I have more info.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

still no worky

well ratsafratsa, can't get it working - still says ntdirect.dll not found as originally mentioned. Search DOES finds it in the windows\system32 folder.

Steps taken:
      - deinstalled both NT7 and NT8 and booted computer
      - installed NT8
      - started eSignal V11, 64-bit. I am on a 32GB 64-bit computer, with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
      - added the eSignal formula that autotrades to a chart and "ntdirect.dll not found" still comes up. For grins started NT8 64-bit and re-added and still dll not found.
      - reminder - on eSignal V10 and NT7, they both had to be 32-bit and my formula works on that but eSignal V10 crashes all the time now (32-bit memory size limitation issue) so having to move on.
      - deinstalled eSignal V11 64-bit and installed eSignal V11 32-bit and booted computer
      - started eSignal V11 32-bit
      - added the eSignal formula that autotrades to a chart and "ntdirect.dll not found" as originally mentioned still comes up.
      - brought up, separately of course, NT8 64-bit and then NT8 32-bit while running eSignal V11 32-bit and continue to get dll not found when adding the formula.

Any last thoughts on something I can try? Maybe I've run into the other problem NTEIGHT-8632 you mentioned being investigated. I looked around for it but didn't find it to see what it might say.

Not thrilled to recode but might have to use the OIF file interface where commands are stored on disk for NT to pick up. Any issues known about that interface?
      Thank you kindly for all your efforts!

Comment

Yeah, there are some potential issue with how the DLL was registered during the build process, which would prevent your script from importing the DLL. I don't think there is anything you can do on your end. We are still looking into that further.

I'm not aware of any issues with the OIF interface, but if you see any oddities please let us know.

Comment

The issue with the NTDirect.DLL will be fixed in the next beta release.

Comment

Also, I should note that the NTDirect.DLL is a 32-bit DLL, therefore you can only load that from a 32-bit executable. You could still run into issues if you attempt to reference that fill in a 64-bit application.

Comment

Hi Matt,

I've been testing the NT8 OIF feature (which, for me, has been an invaluable feature for the last 8-years). I'm finding that there's a problem...a bit difficult to describe. So here goes:

1) Shut-down NT8
              2) Place a valid OIF file into the "incoming" folder (it should be the only file in that folder)
              3) Restart NT8
              4) Now place a second, third or fourth (etc) valid OIF file in the "incoming" folder

This is where the bug manifests itself...none of those OIF files get processed...it's like the NT8 platform ignores any/all OIF files whenever there's an initial file in that folder (that existed during platform startup).

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Comment

Hello Matthew, has anything changed in getting the DLL to be 64-bit so eSignal users can use it like we used to in earlier releases? I started this thread back on 7/30, and part of it you mentioned the DLL being 32-bit.
                Also, I installed NT8 8.0.0.7 and still get the "Error: Function 'DLL': Failed to load 'NtDirect.dll': file not found.". I deinstalled NT7 so that only NT8 was on my 'puter, but no luck. So, I wonder if I'm still running into the problem with how the DLL was registered as you mentioned previously.
                I'm SO stuck. My code used to use the DLL great when I was on a 32-bit machine but am on a 64-bit now (like, who isn't!) but may have a registering problem, and/or if the DLL is still 32-bit. SO, I changed some code to do OIF and found that, as an eSignal user, I cannot use OIF! NT will only use the OIF from a specific NT folder, and eSignal will not allow "input" like that unless it is in a different file in the eSignal folder.
                So, ideally if I could get the DLL supported on current world 64-bit software that would be wonderful! I have no alternative, because of both the NT and eSignal restrictions on where OIF files go.
                Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by sbgtrading View Post
                  Hi Matt,

I've been testing the NT8 OIF feature (which, for me, has been an invaluable feature for the last 8-years). I'm finding that there's a problem...a bit difficult to describe. So here goes:

1) Shut-down NT8
                  2) Place a valid OIF file into the "incoming" folder (it should be the only file in that folder)
                  3) Restart NT8
                  4) Now place a second, third or fourth (etc) valid OIF file in the "incoming" folder

This is where the bug manifests itself...none of those OIF files get processed...it's like the NT8 platform ignores any/all OIF files whenever there's an initial file in that folder (that existed during platform startup).

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
                  Sorry I missed that - although I'm not able to reproduce in B7. After a restart and add the additional OIF files get processed.

If you're still seeing issues, can you post the OIF's that are giving you issues? Maybe there is some problem in reading the format.

Comment

Originally posted by davested View Post
                    Hello Matthew, has anything changed in getting the DLL to be 64-bit so eSignal users can use it like we used to in earlier releases? I started this thread back on 7/30, and part of it you mentioned the DLL being 32-bit.
                    Also, I installed NT8 8.0.0.7 and still get the "Error: Function 'DLL': Failed to load 'NtDirect.dll': file not found.". I deinstalled NT7 so that only NT8 was on my 'puter, but no luck. So, I wonder if I'm still running into the problem with how the DLL was registered as you mentioned previously.
                    I'm SO stuck. My code used to use the DLL great when I was on a 32-bit machine but am on a 64-bit now (like, who isn't!) but may have a registering problem, and/or if the DLL is still 32-bit. SO, I changed some code to do OIF and found that, as an eSignal user, I cannot use OIF! NT will only use the OIF from a specific NT folder, and eSignal will not allow "input" like that unless it is in a different file in the eSignal folder.
                    So, ideally if I could get the DLL supported on current world 64-bit software that would be wonderful! I have no alternative, because of both the NT and eSignal restrictions on where OIF files go.
                    Please help.
                    You still must target a 32-bit application to run this DLL. But that does not mean it will not work on 64-bit computers or with the 64-bit NinjaTrader. This simply means the program that is targeting the DLL needs to be 32-bit.

For the error, I do not get this in the latest version.

It's possible that you have the legacy NTDirect.dll installed in your System folder still.

What I would suggest doing is navigate copy the B7 NTDirect.dll from your program files to your system folder.

Shut down NinjaTrader and then copy

C:\Program Files(x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin\NTDirect.DLL

To

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\

Then restart NinjaTrader 8 and try to load the dll again

For OIF, you could make a batch file or some other script which copies files between both directories to satisfy both restrictions of these programs.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Jon17
                    by Jon17

Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM