NT8 failed to find visual Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 failed to find visual Studio

I am in the NT8 editor. Clicking on the Visual Studio toolbar icon produces the error dialog "Failed to find Visual Studio installation." I have Visual Studio Community 2015 installed in the default location.

--EV

Do you have any other VS installed?

That did just came out and they may not be looking for 2015 just yet in the code...

Comment

No other VS installed -- I went through and cleaned up recently.

Comment

Yeah my bet is that since it just came out they don't have that coded in just yet. Something to add for Beta 4. Try getting VS 2013 community. That is working for me on my end

Comment

2015 works fine -- you just cannot launch it from the NT8 editor.

Comment

Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
            2015 works fine -- you just cannot launch it from the NT8 editor.
            No, you cannot. VS2015 was not available as a release when the linkage was designed.

ref: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=73898
            Last edited by koganam; 08-01-2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
              No, you cannot. VS2015 was not available as a release when the linkage was designed.

ref: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=73898
              I'm not sure what the problem is, other than the inability to launch. I'm using it well enough by editing in NT and saving my edits. NT8 editor automatically loads my changes and then I compile there. Works pretty well that way.

As to "just happened" ... piddle ... the VS 2015RC has been out for some time now. If anyone really cared about getting up to date with VS quickly, they could have integrated with that. Some risk, of course, but I doubt that very much to do with the integration changed between 2015 RC and 2015 RTM. I could be wrong, of course -- that is just my guess. Or is it known that enough changed to make it too much work to integrate with 2015?

In any event, the bottom line is I am using 2015 just fine. No auto launch and no .proj, but that;s OK for now. (I'll have to try that loading the .proj that your link suggested.) One thing to be careful of is avoiding anything that is new in .NET 4.6, (Any chance of NT8 supporting .NET 4.6, since that is now current and it will still be a while before NT8 is released?)

--EV

Comment

Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
                I'm not sure what the problem is, other than the inability to launch. I'm using it well enough by editing in NT and saving my edits. NT8 editor automatically loads my changes and then I compile there. Works pretty well that way.

As to "just happened" ... piddle ... the VS 2015RC has been out for some time now. If anyone really cared about getting up to date with VS quickly, they could have integrated with that. Some risk, of course, but I doubt that very much to do with the integration changed between 2015 RC and 2015 RTM. I could be wrong, of course -- that is just my guess. Or is it known that enough changed to make it too much work to integrate with 2015?

In any event, the bottom line is I am using 2015 just fine. No auto launch and no .proj, but that;s OK for now. (I'll have to try that loading the .proj that your link suggested.) One thing to be careful of is avoiding anything that is new in .NET 4.6, (Any chance of NT8 supporting .NET 4.6, since that is now current and it will still be a while before NT8 is released?)

--EV
                It works well enough as an application integrated to the NT Editor. It is more a matter of the link-sugar not being there.

Pretty much for the same reason that we are not releasing our NT8 code for test to our clients, because we do not want to be operating in a fluid environment. Yes, even release candidates are not yet feature frozen, and can change.

Better not to create execution links until the linkee is release-code.

Comment

I buy that for released code; I'm skeptical for beta code. I guess that depends on how confident you are the code you depend on will be released before you get released.

The reason I would find more persuasive, and may actually be the case, is having higher priority things to do. I don't see launching VS 2015 as a P1 issue since VS 2015 is usable without launching and they have other more critical things to get done. I do hope that by the time NT8 releases it supports VS2105 and .NET 4.6, though, so they are not behind right from the first day.

In any case, I do not really care. For a beta it is working well enough for me as is. Now if I really had to go back to VS 2013 as someone suggested .....

--EV
                  Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 08-01-2015, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I just wanted to report - that currently as 8.0.0.5 Beta - the Visual Studio 2015 works just fine.
                    VS2015 can be started from NT8 a everything works smoothly.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post DynamicTest  
                    Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post ScottWalsh