X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playback / Market Replay Improvements: Status bar, Goto button, Sound files

Dear developers,

These are my requests for improvements to the Playback section of NT8

1. When downloading data from my broker, the status section of the window that said what is downloading, didn't display for very long. And then it stayed blank. Users may have difficulty figuring out when it has finished downloading data. Please provide as much detail as you can in the status bar section whilst it's downloading (instrument / date), so the user can gauge its progress.

2. On the small Playback window that displays start and end dates (the one with the 1 to Max option), there should be a visible button that says "Go To...". A user shouldn't "have to know" to right click the window to find the "Go To..." option.
    This also applies to the "Show available data" option.
    You should just make the window a little bit bigger to accommodate these "new" buttons.
    And in fact, this concept should apply throughout all of Ninja Trader 8. No one should "have to know" that an option is only visible by right clicking somewhere on the screen. This isn't user friendly at all.

3. On the same Playback window, I can't see how to change the date format from mm/dd/yy to dd/mm/yy, even after changing Regional settings in Windows.

4. I was having trouble pausing playback once it had started at MAX speed with 4 strategies running at a time.
    Using Windows 10 ... the mouse pointer changed to a "busy" round blue circle when clicking the Play button and it seemed to take forever (minutes) for the playback mode to pause. When strategies fail, the user needs to be able to stop the playback immediately, so as to reinstate them. It makes no sense to loose a few "days" worth of trading opportunities, just because the pause button takes so long to stop Playback.

5. I assume "New / Trade Performance" is where one is supposed to look for the output of Playback trades ?
    It would be user friendly for it to be really obvious where to go to get the results of Playback. Are you able to provide some kind of hyperlink or something - or even a pop up box that says "Go to Trade Performance to see your results" ?

6. When playing back at speeds greater than say 100 speed, I believe that the sound files should stop playing. Playing many multiple sound files over the top of each other could cause all sorts of windows issues. (I believe this is why NT7 sometimes hangs when used at x500 speed). It is also incredibly irritating listening to "Order Cancelled", over and over again. Perhaps a button that disables sound files from playing (on the Playback window) would be sensible if you don't want to change the programming code so that it bypasses the playing of the sound files all together.

That's all for now. Thanks for listening.
    C

The right click on the time line is the same in nt7. It allows starting at the seconds. I use it intraday to debug.

I replay almost 2 years at a time, and it's nice to hear when a trade is taken... so can't turn it off for everyone. An option would be fine though.

Do your 4 starts require a lot of processing power? Maybe your system can not handle max due to i/o or cpu performance?

Comment

I must admit that I am using an old i3 pc for testing, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the issue with the blue round circle of no response. I use my good pc's for NT7.

I have no issue Sledge with the functionality of changing the timeline to minutes and seconds. That's fine. It just should be more obvious. Especially for newer users of NT.

And at least we agree on an option for Sound control.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Hi kimbee,

Thank you, I have submitted your suggestions to the development team for consideration.
        <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by kimbee View Post
          I must admit that I am using an old i3 pc for testing, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the issue with the blue round circle of no response. I use my good pc's for NT7.

I have no issue Sledge with the functionality of changing the timeline to minutes and seconds. That's fine. It just should be more obvious. Especially for newer users of NT.

And at least we agree on an option for Sound control.

Thanks for your feedback.
          In Tools->Options -> General -> Sound you can kill all the sounds.. Not as easy as turning on a button to mute all, as you would have to reset the filenames when you want them back on.

Comment

Playback 1 minute or 1 bar at a time

Hello, Does the capability exist in NT8 to playback 1 bar at a time - for example 1 minute at a time, or 1 bar at a time where the chart is a 7000 tick chart..? Or is there only a simple speed button?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Market replay in Ninjatrader 8 will playback in the format selected from the chart. For example, if you start Market Replay and then choose a 1 minute chart, the chart will play out with 1 minute bars. The same would be true for a 100, 1000 or 10000 tick chart. The speed at which the bars play out can be increased if you would like to see the results faster or you can let it run in regular time.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
              James C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks for your reply.

I realised afterwards that I didn't really make my question clear enough. What I'm asking is - is there a way to step through in playback mode - by clicking in order to advance by, for example 1 minute at a time - or "1 x 7000 tick segment" at a time, or "1 x 1000 tick segment" at a time, or 5 minutes at a time, and not simply forcing the playback to run in linear mode through each tick at whatever speed is chosen (1x, 5x, 20x etc) ???

This is an extremely useful feature available in other software packages such as multicharts.
                I cannot see a way to do this given the current configuration of playback in NT8 which is essentially exactly the same as in NT7, therefore I presume the answer to the question is - no ?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

No, this feature is not currently available in NT 7 or NT 8. I will submit this as a feature request for NT 8.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Hello,

Your feature request has been assigned the unique tracking ID SFT-612 in our tracking system.

Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post algospoke  
                    Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                    3 responses