Adding a new link type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a new link type

NT8 has done a Good Thing by having multiple link types (buttons in the chart header). I like it because that is the only thing that makes the color-based scheme adequate in some cases.

I do need one more link type, though. I want to link the instruments for the tabs of single chart . How would I go about implementing that? I envision it as a chart AddOn that:
    • Adds an identical third button right beside the existing two buttons
    • Has the logic to notice when an instrument changes on any of the linked tabs and changes instruments to match on all other linked tabs of that chart window
    • Note that I do not want to react to instrument changes from anything other than one of the linked tabs of this chart window, nor do I want to cause changes to anything other than the linked tabs of this chart window

The usage I envision is having a typical chart window contain tabs for different time periods. When you change the instrument in one tab, the other tabs track it. I cannot use the existing Instrument Link because (a) this is different than tracking external changes and (b) one would exhaust the available color range very quickly.

--EV

Adding a new link type

Whilst I agree with the intention, I would suggest a preferable implementation. The idea of an ever-expanding array of link buttons is problematic, particularly if the limited color-coding linkage is retained.

I have addressed some thoughts to this previously: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...326#post404326 and Brandon was kind enough to forward that suggestion to Development (no tracking ID, but that's OK).

My suggestion was:

Currently, the linked windows capability is limited to changing the instrument only on all linked windows.

For NT8, it would be very useful to enhance the linked windows capability as follows:
    • Allow linked windows to synchronize from a selection of attributes. For example, for charts, select from any or all of instrument, time period, bar style, chart properties, etc.
    • Allow an arbitrary link "parameter". Currently, the link "parameter" is a selection of one of seven predefined colors. It would be highly useful to have the ability to define one's own link parameter, e.g. a string of characters or an arbitrary color.
    • Allow windows to have multiple link parameters so that two or more sets of windows may share subsets of link attributes even though they may not have the same complete set of attributes. For instance, 10 windows, all charts, all linked for instrument, with 5 of them linked for time period and the other 5 linked for bar style. Another example would be 5 Basic Entry windows, all linked for Account, with 2 of them linked for TIF and the other 3 linked for Order Qty and ATM.
    This approach has many advantages, not least of which is vastly improved flexibility.

I would be most interested in your thoughts on such an approach.

It would also be good to have an update on what Development may be doing with this previous suggestion of mine and in general on the matter.

As always, thanks!
    Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
    jeronymite
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Originally posted by jeronymite View Post
      Whilst I agree with the intention, I would suggest a preferable implementation. The idea of an ever-expanding array of link buttons is problematic, particularly if the limited color-coding linkage is retained.

I have addressed some thoughts to this previously: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...326#post404326 and Brandon was kind enough to forward that suggestion to Development (no tracking ID, but that's OK).

My suggestion was:

This approach has many advantages, not least of which is vastly improved flexibility.

I would be most interested in your thoughts on such an approach.

It would also be good to have an update on what Development may be doing with this previous suggestion of mine and in general on the matter.

As always, thanks!
      First off, the limited set of colors is a separate issue. I'm surprised that there has not been pushback from color-blind users. I agree with you that there are too few, too. I'd rather see something like integers, with an optional display name associated. I suppose that, if one is going to add a button that button could support an expanded scheme. The problem I see with doing so is usability -- it will be better if everyone implementing any kind of linkage does it the same way so users know what to expect.

You seem to be worried about an added button causing more pressure on the limited set of colors. I thought that the buttons are independent -- that each button has the full range of colors, regardless of what the other buttons may have in use. Is that not so? I thought that one of the benefits of multiple buttons was an effectively expanded set of channels.

Potentially lots of colored buttons -- I suppose so. I was just trying to work within what NT8 is providing. I looked at your link and saw a request for a lot of flexibility, but I did not see any proposed GUI to support that flexibility. Did I just miss the GUI proposal? Do you see any likelihood of NT changing away from using buttons and implementing a different linking GUI at this stage? My best guess is that is, at best, a future upgrade and for this release we have to work within the button concept.

Flexibility -- we agree that users will find unforeseen uses for flexible linkage. One that I want to implement is sets of windows that change state (minimize, normalize) together. It is great that we can have lot of windows, but ridiculous to have to manually control their state individually. A well thought out linking scheme could easily solve that and would be tailorable to exactly what any individual wants. I could see an "event bus" on which each window broadcasts state changes. Other windows monitor the bus and react appropriately to state changes. (The same architecture can be used for things other than window state control, but that makes a good example.)

--EV

Comment

Hello EV,

So the current instrument link would not suffice for the tabs on one chart window? And you are looking for an option or how to add an option for the instrument change only on one windows tabs?

Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
        NT8 has done a Good Thing by having multiple link types (buttons in the chart header). I like it because that is the only thing that makes the color-based scheme adequate in some cases.

I do need one more link type, though. I want to link the instruments for the tabs of single chart . How would I go about implementing that? I envision it as a chart AddOn that:
        • Has the logic to notice when an instrument changes on any of the linked tabs and changes instruments to match on all other linked tabs of that chart window
        • Note that I do not want to react to instrument changes from anything other than one of the linked tabs of this chart window, nor do I want to cause changes to anything other than the linked tabs of this chart window

The usage I envision is having a typical chart window contain tabs for different time periods. When you change the instrument in one tab, the other tabs track it. I cannot use the existing Instrument Link because (a) this is different than tracking external changes and (b) one would exhaust the available color range very quickly.

--EV

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
          Hello EV,

So the current instrument link would not suffice for the tabs on one chart window? And you are looking for an option or how to add an option for the instrument change only on one windows tabs?
          That's correct. I am thinking of an AddOn that adds another colored square beside the current ones. The current one works as intended, but is inadequate for what I want. The problems I see with the current single-square linkage are:
          • If you have several such chart windows you rapidly run out of colors
          • There are use cases it does not address
          • The type of linkage I want to add is semantically different from the current one. You cannot control both types with a single control.

The inability to do this has long been a pet peeve of mine with both NT and other products. The ability to add my own linkage types would be most welcome. I also see that as a pilot project for me. I have some other linkage thoughts, such as window management, that I may move on to once this first project is done.

For some of what I mean by window management see ShaneAU's thread "A few suggestions and a bug" in the "Issue and Bug Reports" section. A custom linking AddOn could support at least some of what he wants.

--EV
          Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 08-14-2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
            From what I understand this feature is already in place. Please review the video at the following link and let me know if I am missing what you are trying to detail: http://screencast.com/t/DEKBAfG4Zcl

If I am missing something please provide detail on the function you are looking for and how this is different from the current link optons.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
            6 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post RideMe
            by RideMe

Started by tkaboris, Today, 05:13 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes