Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few suggestions and a bug

Hi guys,

Firstly, NT8 is looking great – thanks for putting together such a fantastic product.

I haven’t had a chance to use the software thoroughly yet, but in the meantime I have a few suggestions and one possible bug I have noticed so far (I’m not sure if these have been reported).

I am using Windows 10 and have written a brief description below and a supporting YouTube video to clarify what I mean here (unlisted link): https://youtu.be/qLrshw2dHm4

1) Possible Bug:
    My drop-down menus on the main Control Centre do not align with their heading. For example when I press on the ‘Tools’ menu, the menu appears halfway through the ‘ninja’ on the Ninjatrader logo. I have my resolution set to 1920 x 1080 and I have Windows 10 set to enlarge text etc 125%, so I am not sure if that plays a role (but the menus in all my other programs work ok so I don’t think it should).

2) Suggestion:
    When we are adding indicators can we please have names list responsive to typing a string of letters, instead of just taking us to the letter last pressed. This was the same in NT7 and its very frustrating - gets me all the time! For example, if I want to quickly jump to the SMA indicator, I should be able to type ‘s’ ‘m’ or ‘s’ ‘m’ ‘a’ in quick succession the way most windows apps work. Currently if I type SMA in the indicator list it takes me to indicators starting with S, then to ones starting with M, then to A. If I wanted to go to the beginning of the M’s or the A’s I would have just pressed ‘M’ or ‘A’.

3) Question/Suggestion:
    If we have a workspace with multiple charts tiled in an arrangement we like (say 5 tiles), is there a way to bring all 5 windows up at once? Currently I am pressing on each chart at the start menu one by one, and every time I do this I’m thinking ‘this is ridiculous’ so I’m guessing there must be a better way already implemented that I don’t know of?

If there’s not, can I suggest a function called something like ‘Workspace Link’ which works the same as interval and instrument link… For example, if you have 4 windows or charts set the same colour on the ‘Workspace Link’, if you bring one of them to the foreground the rest will come to the foreground also.

Thanks again & cheers,
    Shane

Hi ShaneAU,

Thanks for the post.
    1. There is a known visual issue with NinjaTrader 7 and 8 within Windows 10 and I believe that is what you are experiencing. As a test: if you return the magnification to 100%, does the issue persist?

2. This is an excellent suggestion and I will forward it to the development team for consideration

3. This is possible not through NinjaTrader directly, but as a function of Windows.

Please hold SHIFT and then right-click on the NinjaTrader icon in your Windows Taskbar. You should see the options to "Minimize All Windows" or "Restore All Windows". You can use this feature to minimize all or restore all of your NinjaTrader windows.

Comment

for On # 2- I very much agree - names list responsive to typing a string of letters, instead of just taking us to the letter last pressed.
      for # 3 = I very much agree - is there a way to bring all 5 windows up at once?

Maybe NT8 can add an item to the popup menu when you right click on taskbar. Other programs have expanded it's use, like SnagIt and Google browser to =name a few. In NT 7 I purchased the NT addon which did Workspace changes, One other thing it did which I also think should be added to NT8 capability is to Minimize all NT8 windows, including the control panel. Currently NT8 has the bare minimum of the items below

- NinjaTrader 8
      - Pin this program to taskbar
      - Close all windows.
      - Display default Workspace Arrangement <<<<<<< This is my suggested add
      - Minimize all windows <<<<<<< This is my suggested add
      - Restore last Workspace view <<<<<<< This is my suggested add

John
      Last edited by joromero; 08-14-2015, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Hi joromero,

Thanks for the post.

The SHIFT+right-click function of Windows already has a maximize and minimize all ability. Hold SHIFT as you right-click on the NinjaTrader icon and your options should be:
        • Cascade
        • Show Windows Stacked
        • Show Windows Side By Side
        • Restore All Windows
        • Minimize All Windows
        • Close All Windows

I will speak with the development team about making changes to the right-click options that appear when the NinjaTrader icon is right-clicked to see if any additional functionality can be added.

Comment

Hey Patrick,

There is one difference in the Shift right click, vs what I suggested. Windows will restore 'all' windows to their default locations and order / stack of viewing, which is the menu item I called Display default workspace view. What I suggested is to restore to the last set of windows I had showing. Simple Example. I have 3 chart windows and the control panel. I minimize 1 chart, leaving 2 charts + control panel showing on screen. I also bring the chart #2 to the foreground. I want the ability to restore that workspace with the last set of charts visible, as well as the order/stack I was viewing them in.

Hope that makes sense. I also think having all of the options for 'view' manipulation in the same menu , vs getting some from the Shift right click and some from just right click. KISS
          John

Comment

Hi joromero,

Thanks for the clarification.

I will add this as a feature request and the development team will take this into consideration.

Comment

T&amp;S suggestion

Hello,

I got a suggestion to the T&S: where is the DailyVolume executed on the T&S like in NT7 ?
              Why this nice feauture has been removed ?

Thank you

Comment

Hi nientenickgraze,

Thanks for the post.

This feature was removed in NinjaTrader 8 however I do not have a detailed answer today as to the reasoning behind it. I will update this thread when I receive more information about this change.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                  Hi joromero,

Thanks for the post.

The SHIFT+right-click function of Windows already has a maximize and minimize all ability. Hold SHIFT as you right-click on the NinjaTrader icon and your options should be:
                  • Cascade
                  • Show Windows Stacked
                  • Show Windows Side By Side
                  • Restore All Windows
                  • Minimize All Windows
                  • Close All Windows

I will speak with the development team about making changes to the right-click options that appear when the NinjaTrader icon is right-clicked to see if any additional functionality can be added.
                  I do not see that choice. I am on Windows 8.1 and shift+right-click on the NT taskbar icon just gives
                  • Restore
                  • Move
                  • Size
                  • Minimize
                  • Maximize
                  • Close

Minimize, for example, works on the window you clicked on, not the whole application.

--EV

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I just tried changing my Windows 10 display settings back to 100% (no magnification), but the alignment of the menus in the control panel remains the same (not matching their headings).

For my original suggestion #3:
                    Thanks for the shift-right click tip, that’s handy to know. Unfortunately it doesn’t solve the problem however because it restores all NT8 Windows (Although on my PC for some reason when I click ‘Restore All’ it is only bringing up Control Panel and Market Analyser, not any of my charts which is weird – not sure if that’s a bug in Windows 10 or Ninjatrader).

But even if it was working, we really need to bring up just a workspace at a time, I don’t necessarily want to restore or maximise every NT8 window – for example I don’t want the control panel to be restored blocking my charts.

In most charting packages, the charts are all contained within their own master window/workspace. NT7 & 8 has each chart floating separately. This can be a real nuisance for multi-tasking, maybe not such an issue if you have multiple monitors on a dedicated PC, but on a PC that is being used for other purposes (such as a laptop) it’s probably the biggest useability drawback (in my opinion) of NT.

The other issue which relates to this, is that because they float - each chart shows as its own icon when I click on the taskbar, so if I have an arrangement of 5 tiled charts, plus the control panel, plus a maximised chart with chart trader for managing trades, it means I have 7 icons hovering over the taskbar when I only want/need 3.

In my original post I had the ‘Workspace Link’ suggestion, but I just thought of an improved way which could be great:

All windows have a ‘Group Link’, the same as ‘Interval Link’ and ‘Instrument Link’… Then let’s say I set 4 charts/windows to the same colour on ‘Group Link’, then these four windows are ‘grouped’ and they will all show together. Under this method, the grouped windows/charts would only show as ONE preview window on the NT8 taskbar – this would also solve the problem of having silly amounts of preview icons to sift through when trying to find the NT chart/window you are looking for.

…If you wanted to get really sexy, you could allow multiple selections for ‘Group Link’, so 1 chart could be in multiple groups, Or for example, the Market Analyzer or Control Panel windows might be in multiple groups so it shows in each of your different chart arrangements.

I still personally think the way most other charting packages work by have a single workspace to contain all the internal windows/charts is better than having them floating like NT, but I understand there must be a good reason why they float in NT so perhaps a function such as the Group Link could allow users the best of both worlds.

Additional suggestion:
                    Currently when we hover over NT8 on the taskbar it shows a preview of the chart and the name of the chart. i.e. “Chart – AUDUSD” however if we have multiple charts open for the same symbol, it’s impossible to tell which one is which without opening each one. I'd like to suggest that you put the Time Interval in the title to help differentiate. So ‘Chart – AUDUSD’ would become ‘Chart – AUSDUSD (15 min)’ or ‘Chart – AUDUSD (Daily)’ etc.

Thanks again for your help & time!
                    Cheers,
                    Shane
                    Last edited by ShaneAU; 08-14-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Hi ShaneAU,

Thanks for the additional feedback.

I will make sure to clarify what you are referring to about having just the specific workspace layout appear when I submit this feature request to the development team.

I will also submit adding an additional link feature that will affect how windows are grouped and minimized and maximized.

You can change what text is displayed in the preview by right-clicking on your chart > properties > Locate the "Tab Name" property > By default "@INSTRUMENT_FULL" is entered. Click on the drop down list and select "@PERIOD_ALL" > OK. Now your chart will display both the instrument and the period. You can delete any tab names by clicking in the tab name field and deleting the text. Add tab names as you desire.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply...

Re adding the @PERIOD_ALL - that's great, thanks... Can I also please suggest that we have the option here to 'save as default' setting? With the current functionality, it looks like I would need to add the @PERIOD_ALL to each individual chart and any new chart I create in the future.

Cheers,
                        Shane

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneAU View Post
                          'save as default' setting?
                          You can save this as a chart preset by clicking the "preset" text near the bottom-right of the Properties window, then clicking "save." The next time you open a chart, your custom tab name should automatically be used.
                          Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I wanted to update this thread with information regarding the removal of the daily volume from the Time and Sales window. Please see the post in the link below:

http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...62&postcount=3

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                            Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary