Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Are there any indicators that enable/disable plots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any indicators that enable/disable plots?

Are there any indicators or samples that give the user a way in the GUI to enable/disable a Plot? I am thinking of something like enabling/disabling a signal line. I ask because I would like to see the official way to do that. I have my way, but want to make sure it is not over-engineered.

I am aware that one could just set the plot transparent, but I have done that before and found it has a bunch of complication of its own if you really do it right, so I do not want to go there.

--EV

Hello,

I cannot think of any pre-built indicators that include a UI-exposed way to enable/disable individual plots. My first instinct would be to conditionally set the plot color to transparent at certain indexes, as you mention, so if you've found a better way than that, then it is probably a good way to go about it.
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I still have a little work to do to ensure usability -- such things as ensuring that any user customizations are retained instead of getting lost. I have not looked at that yet, but otherwise it is looking good. When you disable the signal line, the %D plot immediately disappears from the GUI, and when you re-enable the signal line the %D plot immediately comes back in the GUI. To me, that is what should happen. A disabled signal line does not get plotted, of course. I must say that doing so is easier in NT8 than NT7, unless I am just more clever the second time around. I think the answer is that NT8 is cleaner, though.

I could also make a case that the right thing to do is to just make the plot read-only in the GUI when it is disabled, but how to do so was not obvious to me on a quick look recently. How do I make a Line or a Plot read-only in the GUI?

My recent motivation came from seeing Anne-Marie doing SMI demos on other platforms (TOS, Metastock) and seeing her turn off the signal line since it just gets in the way of her methods.

-- EV
      Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 08-31-2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
        I still have a little work to do to ensure usability -- such things as ensuring that any user customizations are retained instead of getting lost. I have not looked at that yet, but otherwise it is looking good. When you disable the signal line, the %D plot immediately disappears from the GUI, and when you re-enable the signal line the %D plot immediately comes back in the GUI. To me, that is what should happen. A disabled signal line does not get plotted, of course. I must say that doing so is easier in NT8 than NT7, unless I am just more clever the second time around. I think the answer is that NT8 is cleaner, though.

I could also make a case that the right thing to do is to just make the plot read-only in the GUI when it is disabled, but how to do so was not obvious to me on a quick look recently. How do I make a Line or a Plot read-only in the GUI?

My recent motivation came from seeing Anne-Marie doing SMI demos on other platforms (TOS, Metastock) and seeing her turn off the signal line since it just gets in the way of her methods.

-- EV
        Can you not extend the Plot and Line classes with code and properties to turn them transparent?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Rogers101, 05-05-2024, 11:30 AM
        22 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Rogers101  
        Started by reynoldsn, 05-04-2024, 02:34 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post reynoldsn