Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with Manual Line Drawing Tool

See Video: http://screencast.com/t/8K2FGQjMg

I'm getting the same issue with beta 4. I cannot put more than one line on the chart. In my case I want to add horizontal lines (F6) at key areas of support/resistance. After I input the first line when I try to add a second the 1st will erase. so I cannot put more than one line on the chart of the same indicator

Comment

Hello,

Omega, I'm not seeing this behavior on my end, and based on the issue with the custom drawing, I'm wondering if something is going on related to the particular script you are using. Do you see the same issue with drawing objects with no custom scripts applied to the chart? If not, could you provide me with a sample script that I can use to test and reproduce this behavior on my end?

hothomas, just to be clear, are you drawing objects manually or in NinjaScript?

Thank you
      Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

"Manually. Just using F6 shortcut." - From clients response by email.
        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you. I am not experiencing that on my end, either. Can you think of anything else that may be affecting your scenario which would help me to reproduce the behavior? Are you running any custom indicators or strategies on the chart, for example? Does the issue occur with all drawing tools, or just Lines? Does this happen on all charts at all times, or only on one particular chart?

Comment

Hi hothomas, Omega,

I also cannot duplicate using the F6 keyboard shortcut to the line drawing tool. Is this affecting one particular type of data series or is it all types?
            <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Horizontal lines

I've had the same problem since beta 2, which was the version I started with. I did bring it to tech supports attention shortly after installing it, which was right at release, and at that time they were able to reproduce it. As you suggest here, they have not yet resolved it. Since basically all I do is draw horizontal lines on a chart (I don't use any indicators, oscillators, MA's, etc) NT8 thus far is completely useless to me.

Here is my exchange:

Hi Paul,

Another issue I’ve run into, in this case trying to change the color of a Horizontal line. Below are pictures of the dialog box. Here’s the problem: my horizontal lines default to grey, but in this case I want to change the color to green. First image shows four lines I’ve drawn, delineated by the arrows.

Second image shows the dialog box open with the change of color and the top line highlighted. The third image shows what happens: as soon as I hit the apply button the line disappears (as you can see it is no longer there), never to be seen again.

Hello,
              I have tested and confirmed that the problem with changing the horizontal line occurs in beta 2. Development has fixed this in the next version.

Despite Paul's contention here that the problem was fixed in Beta 3, it wasn't, and persists in beta 4.

Comment

ticket number

The number associated with the email responses I received is {1341598}.

Comment

Line numbering

Regarding horizontal lines, which I also brought up at the same time as the disappearing lines: I typically have six chars up at any given time and may have 4- 6 lines on each chart. NT8 numbers every line (and probably every drawing object) on every chart contiguously, ad infinitum, in any line properties box opened on any of the charts. This is confusing and there is no way in the dialog box to know which number is associated with which line or drawing object and on which chart. So, either when one clicks on line number 13, for example, create some indication of which line on which chart is in question or better yet, create an indication and limit the numbering to each chart discreetly. Although the idea of being able to click on any drawing object and edit any that may exist from a single dialog box is very useful, it’s not working yet. In any event the numbering seems to do nothing but number without any orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirsqard View Post
                    Regarding horizontal lines, which I also brought up at the same time as the disappearing lines: I typically have six chars up at any given time and may have 4- 6 lines on each chart. NT8 numbers every line (and probably every drawing object) on every chart contiguously, ad infinitum, in any line properties box opened on any of the charts. This is confusing and there is no way in the dialog box to know which number is associated with which line or drawing object and on which chart. So, either when one clicks on line number 13, for example, create some indication of which line on which chart is in question or better yet, create an indication and limit the numbering to each chart discreetly. Although the idea of being able to click on any drawing object and edit any that may exist from a single dialog box is very useful, it’s not working yet. In any event the numbering seems to do nothing but number without any orientation.
                    There is an "Attach to" property which indicates which chart a drawing object is associated to. Does that not provide the indication requested? If not, is there something else we can do to in your opinion to better highlight this information?
                    Attached Files
                    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thank you for the heads up; I hadn't noticed that. I will look at it over the weekend and get back to you.

Comment

I have the same problem. When editing any drawing object, the "Data" properties get duplicated to all existing drawing objects of the same type and they superimpose.

See this video example on an Andrews pitchfork:

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirsqard View Post
                          Thank you for the heads up; I hadn't noticed that. I will look at it over the weekend and get back to you.
                          As I advised, I took a look at the drawing tools and dialog boxes over the weekend. Yes, there is an "attach to" indication in any dialog box I bring up, but my experience with the drawing tools dialog boxes suggests that it is an area that has been completely neglected.

As previously mentioned, the only drawing objects on my charts are horizontal lines and horizontal rays. Occasionally I may use an ellipse. I don't use any indicators, occilators, ma's, etc. except a bar timer. My charting needs are very simple, but as yet not possible in NT8.

So, besides the disappearing lines, I have also found that it is difficult to draw a sharply defined and horizontal ray. Is there a key to hold down that defaults lines/rays to horizontal or vertical?

There seems to be no logic to the line numbering/conventions in the dialog box. I may have 4-6 horizontal lines and 4-6 horizontal rays on my chart,and I can end up with five #17 line labels (see included picture). And none of the lines starts at #1. Also, when I click on line to bring up its dialog box, it won't even default to the line I clicked on. In order then to find the line/ray in question, I have to click on the data drop down arrow and run through all of the line numbers created until I find the one associated with the data that matches the line. This is inefficient and doesn't make any sense.

All of the attached pictures are of/from the same chart. Note that some line numbers disappear while others are duplicated. My suggestion would be to open a chart, draw six horizontal lines and six rays and then go about trying to managing them. In my case, I am just trying to change width, style and color.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I originally reported this issue. Here is a video to expand on the problem using the ES HiLo chart and a tick count down indicator. It only appears to occur with a live data feed.http://screencast.com/t/DdH0zDDsoRv

Comment

I'd like to chime in here and let everyone know that we are currently looking into this exact issue, as it has been reported several times over the past few weeks. This is still in our QA department's hands, so I do not have a final tracking ID number to share just yet, but I will post back here when I do.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes