X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few suggestions for NT

Hi guys,

Here are a few more usability suggestions for NT8:

1) The Risk Reward tool could be improved by adding the function to have multiple levels. For example we might want to quickly draw 1R, 2R and 3R on our chart. Currently to my understanding we would have to use the tool 3 times for this (and change the setting each time). So perhaps there could be a first ‘base’ R level (being the level where we click the mouse) and then the option to have it extend out to draw the additional R levels.

2) The charting/drawing tools are awesome - but there could be a more efficient way (less mouse clicks) of changing line colours and adding templates. For example, it currently takes 7 mouse clicks to change the colour of a horizontal line or to add a template to it. I’d like to suggest the functionality that when we right-click on a drawn object, the popup menu includes ‘Templates’, with a sub-menu which lists any drawing templates we have previously saved. This would reduce the number of mouse clicks down to only 2.

3) When tabbing through workspaces with hotkeys, it would be helpful if NT briefly displayed the name of the workspace (maybe for 1 second) at the top of the screen.

4) I know others have reported this bug previously, but I just wanted to confirm that in Beta5 release NT is still leaving the inside of all charts as a kind of watermark when we change virtual desktops in Windows 10. Attached is a screenshot of a desktop showing this watermark (i.e. this screenshot does not have NT running it is an imprint from the previous virtual desktop).

Cheers,
    Shane
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ShaneAU; 09-22-2015, 04:17 AM.

Further to my previous post, here are a couple more suggestions:

5) When attaching an Alert to a drawing object and selecting the ‘Popup Dialog’ as the Action, the popup currently displays our message with an ‘OK’ button. It would be very useful if this popup also had a button which says something like ‘Go to Chart’. Pressing the button would bring up the workspace with the relevant chart where the alert was placed as the active window.

6) Also, when adding an Alert to a line/object it would be very helpful to save our favourite ‘Actions’ as a template (with our ‘default’ template being automatically selected). Under the current method, if I want to add an alert which beeps and creates a popup on the cross of a line, it takes me a minimum of 9 mouse clicks. With a template this reduces to 4 clicks (and much faster in time). I think most people who use alarms are likely to have repeatable settings and would benefit from being able to bring these up quickly.

7) Have a new Alert Action option of a 'Notification' (in the bottom right corner of screen), like many windows apps use. Preferably combined with the 'Go to Chart' button mentioned above. The benefit of this style alert, is that its a lot less intrusive than a pop up and allows the user to review the notification when they are ready (without interrupting their current task).
    Last edited by ShaneAU; 09-24-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Hello ShaneAU,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We appreciate your recommendations to improve NinjaTrader.

Since the type of functionality you are seeking is not presently supported within NinjaTrader, I have documented this particular feature request and have sent it to our product development team.

In regards to number 4 in your initial post, is NinjaTrader showing up in the Task Manager? To open the Task Manager, right-click on the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager.

Once the Task Manager pops up, please click on the More details setting on the window (if this is showing). Search for NinjaTrader in the Processes tab.
      Zachary G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Zachary,

Yes NT does show up in task manager in the Virtual Desktop where it is not running, but i think this would be expected as it's still running on the other 'desktop'.

Actually the charts still update even on the imprint. Please see attached unlisted video link which shows what happens: https://youtu.be/5XBdW_FZI5M

Cheers,
        Shane

Comment

Hello Shane,

Thank you for the information.

We are aware of the issue with virtual desktops and NinjaTrader 8 and it is being tracked with the internal tracking ID of NTEIGHT-8584.
          Zachary G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Zachary,

There is another (minor) issue with the virtual desktop I am not sure if you guys are aware of...

If we switch virtual desktops while NT is loading, the console window will be in the desktop where we opened NT8, but the charts will load in the desktop we switched to.

You can replicate this by the following steps:

* Have two virtual desktops in Windows 10
            * Go to the second desktop and open NT8
            * As NT8 is loading, switch back to desktop 1
            * The charts will load in desktop 1 instead of where you opened NT8 in desktop 2, however the console wont be there, it will remain in desktop 2.

So you end up with half the program on 1 desktop and the other half on the other.

Not a major issue because you just close the program and restart it (remembering to keep the virtual desktop active until the program finishes loading), but it's caught me out several times now so I thought i would report it.

Cheers,
            Shane

Comment

Thank you for letting us know. I'm seeing the same thing on my end, so I've added that note to the report, which is still being looked into.
              Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

After speaking with a developer on this item, I've learned something new about virtual desktops that I thought I'd share, as it can help in this situation. It is possible to drag and drop windows from one virtual desktop to another from Task View (Win+Tab). With this method, you could quickly drop the Control Center onto the same desktop as the other windows.
                Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                6 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post algospoke  
                Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes