"Save as image"-feature is missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Save as image"-feature is missing

I use the feature "Save as image" in NT7 frequently every day, take educational screenshots from many situations.

This feature does not exist in NT8 anymore as it looks? I see some "share services", but I most certainly have no intention to send every screenshot to any social networks...

Please enable the "save as image"-feature soon again, helps a ton every day - and, important, still possible to trigger such a screenshot by hotkey (this has to work very quickly, no time to work through multiple menus and questions when daytrading)

Hello RonnyKeller,

I will forward your request to support the "Save as image" function in NinjaTrader 8 to development. Thank you for your feedback. I will forward 3 votes (including dalebru and sledge).
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Jason. Nevertheless I'm pretty much puzzled over your "I will forward 3 votes...".
      I'm developing software for more than two decades, and non of my clients ever had to "vote" to keep existing features alive - I think every software developer worth the title knows that first and foremost no existing features shall be removed (perhaps replaced, but never removed!) - so I don't think this should need any "votes" in the first place - the lack of "save as image" is nothing but just a simple bug (or poor concepting)...

Comment

Hello Ronny,

Thanks for your reply.

Feature requests are not removed. We use votes to see how many people desire a feature. If a feature has many votes, development sees it is highly desired by many users and will take this into consideration when adding new features.
        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Brandon. Not sure we're on the same page. "Save as image" worked fine in NT7. So there should be NO need to vote to have it also in NT8. I'm not talking about "voting for feature request" - I'm just expecting NT8 to cover at least all features that were existing in NT7. So, not really a wish, but much more a sheer expectation. Any feature missing from NT7 should never need "votes"...

Comment

Originally posted by RonnyKeller View Post
            Hi Brandon. Not sure we're on the same page. "Save as image" worked fine in NT7. So there should be NO need to vote to have it also in NT8. I'm not talking about "voting for feature request" - I'm just expecting NT8 to cover at least all features that were existing in NT7. So, not really a wish, but much more a sheer expectation. Any feature missing from NT7 should never need "votes"...
            The ability to take a screen shot was not removed, but the requirement to setup a share service creates a usability concern that we're looking to address in the near future. We're simply tracking the number of users who share your opinion and I can tell you that the vote count is high at this point therefore this will be addressed sooner than later.
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Hi Matthew

"The ability to take a screen shot was not removed, but the requirement to setup a share service creates a usability concern"... I wouldn't mind setting up a share service if this helps resolving the issue - I just can't figure how the available share-services can help - I see "share services" such as "facebook" or "eMail" etc. - but the only "share" I d'need is "save to local disk / folder" - no such entry is available here.

So if I only missed the steps to get such a share-to-disk up and running, I'd be more than happy to give it a try. In other words - where is this "not-removed-ability-to-take-a-screen-shot" currently hiding?

Comment

You would need to first setup a share service to access the 'save image as' button in the current implementation. You can just setup a generic email interface, you do not need to input any credentials.

Once that is setup, use the "Share" button to and on the dialog provided there is a save option.

I put together a video to show how this works: http://screencast.com/t/t3Y6Xv3sRHwP

I understand this is more complicated than NT7's approach and would agree that it could be greatly simplified which is on our list to address in the near future.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 09-28-2015, 11:32 AM.
                MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

cool - thanks a lot, solution is good enough for the moment

Comment

I also vote for restoring "Save as image"

Comment

Hello strategesis,

Thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded your vote.
                      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I developed an Add-On for just this problem.. I wanted to be able to take a screen shot of any chart with just a simple click of a button.. Not only that, I wanted it to automatically save the capture to a file in a specified location, AND Name that file with the Instrument and DataSeries of the Chart. To go just a step further I also wanted to have the Date and Time of the capture in the saved file name so that when I looked in the folder with all those screenshots, I could quick and easily tell what was what and when..

Because it's an add-on, the icon (button) is automatically added to every chartwindow/tab without any user configuration or intervention.. Since there are no user parameters, the saved file location is hard coded to ../(Documents)/NT8ChartCaptures/ which I believe would be acceptable to most.. The naming convention I decided on, goes like this..

I'm pretty sure I finally have the bugs worked out, but I am at the moment looking for a handful of beta testers that would like to put this thru the ringer.. I'm only look'n for a couple, and preferably someone that opens and closes several charts across multiple workspaces on a rather consistent basis.. Someone that will actually put it thru the test and not just someone that want's it cuz it's cool.. Once it's been fully tested, and I'm confident there are no lurking bugs, I will be releasing a free version (although it will contain a small watermark) to anyone wishing to use it, as well as a commercial version (no watermark) for a very small nominal cost..

Be Aware, this is an Add-on, and it will be a compiled obfuscated assembly (no source). It will contain No watermark, but will require using NT8's 3rd Party Licensing in order for it to work.. Will be a good test for that.. It will also be a self installing exe (which ALL my products are) (dll and exe have signed certificate), as I need to make sure all that is working with NT8 as well.. If you think you'd make a good tester send me a msg and/or contact request on skype edge358 ..

Please DO NOT reply to this thread asking, but Please DO mention your NinjaTrader Forum Nick in your skype contact request! I'm taking names today and will make my decisions tonight (or sooner). Please don't be bummed out and/or upset if your not chosen, as like I said, I'm only looking for a couple testers, and will definitely be partial to those names I recognize as being most active on the beta forums.

Attached Files
                        -=Edge=-
                        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

And please add my request to reinstate the "Save Image As" function back into Ninjatrader 8 just like it is in NT7.

Thank you

Comment

I would be interested in this add-on when it is available. How would I know when and where to get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirsqard View Post
                              And please add my request to reinstate the "Save Image As" function back into Ninjatrader 8 just like it is in NT7.

Thank you
                              Please add mine as well... Should be easy to include as a share as it is simply removing the Email functionality... Already exists, just difficult to find.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Waxavi
                              by Waxavi

Started by TradeForge, Today, 02:09 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes