Time gaps on simple charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ricam View Post
    On a chart with two 10 tick candlestick plots of YM 12-15, there are lines appearing inside the candles of the second plot when chart properties are set to equidistant bar spacing. With non equidistant bar spacing candles do overwrite each other as would be expected with a time based horizontal scale on a tick bar chart.

If two identical but non time based price series of the same instrument are on a chart, it seems unnecessary for the horizontal spacing to default to time based...

Thanks, Ray.
    Got it, I can reproduce. Thanks for reporting.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneAU View Post
      I think the problem I'm experiencing might be different as it's not limited to May. Sometimes it is several candles just not displaying or sometimes it is half the chart missing, but reloading the historical data always resolves it.

I have also had this problem since installing the public beta, also resolved by reloading historical data - at this point I pretty much reload automatically, since it's easier than going through the charts checking the data.

The machine is set to EST.
      Last edited by palinuro; 10-03-2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Reloading certainly doesn't get May or June back on the Forex Daily charts - I have tried loads of times.

Comment

YM time gap won't go away

Now getting time gaps every time I restart Ninja after it has been off for a while. Reloading historical data on chart or using historical data manager will NOT necessarily fix it. Here's an example from today. I set the session for this dataseries to default 24/7 to rule out any session based problems. At this point, not able to fix this at all.

Data feed is AMP CQG.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ricam View Post
            Now getting time gaps every time I restart Ninja after it has been off for a while. Reloading historical data on chart or using historical data manager will NOT necessarily fix it. Here's an example from today. I set the session for this dataseries to default 24/7 to rule out any session based problems. At this point, not able to fix this at all.

Data feed is AMP CQG.
            Actually, we believe the bug is tied to the default 24/5/7 session templates. So I can run your scenario by development, what session template were you using when you first noticed the gaps?

If this is easy for you to reproduce, if you have time today, can you email our support team to setup a remote call so they can gather as much info as possible to add to our development report?
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Sent an e-mail to your attention, to platformsupport at ninja trader dot com.

Comment

Data Server reset was a partial fix -- problems persist

If I close Ninjatrader for a few minutes, then reopen and connect to live data, after the live feed refills the charts, there are time gaps between the shutdown and restart times.

This should be taken care of automatically by the historical data backfill but it isn't.. I need to explicitly request a reload of historical data from the chart menu.

The difference between this and what I reported earlier today is that now, forced reloading works, whereas earlier today, it left gaps.

Since I started using NT8B5, above behavior has always been the case.

Thanks, keep me posted.

Comment

I would like to schedule a call with you to look into the issue further on your PC. Can you please send a note to [email protected] Attn: Chris Jameson with a time you will be available and the best phone number to reach you at.
                  Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

A remote support session identified the issue.

For those following this thread, the problem was corrected by unchecking the Record Live Data as Historical box on the Market Data page reached from the Control Center Tools >> Options menu.

So, for now, I will just leave this box unchecked. If you really need this feature, I suppose you could uncheck it before you shut down NT8, and recheck after you have restarted it, connected to your live feed, and backfilled your charts.

Nice to talk to an upbeat, helpful, real person at Planet Ninjatrader.
                    Last edited by Ricam; 10-07-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure why anyone would need this feature if they have historical data hence the warning when you check it. The option is for users who do not have historical but a live feed only (some brokers), which is why you were not getting that data-> the option assumes there is no data to pull from and will only get what is on your repository.

I'm glad you were able to identify the cause with our support member though and appreciate you following up with the solution on our forums!

Comment

Hi guys,

Just a heads up that 'Record Live Data as Historical' wasn't checked on my PC. So unfortunately this wasn't the fix for the issues I am experiencing. Screenshot with gaps and settings attached.

Cheers,
                        Shane
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks shane, we're still looking into a separate, but related issue in terms of the sessions/time zones and bar requests.

Comment

Hi,

I also continue to have consistent difficulty with historical backfill on connecting. It doesn't seem to be affected by session templates, either standard or custom.
                            This morning and this evening not even reloading historical data corrected the problem, though perhaps that's down to your historical server?

I am also getting a consistent error (perhaps related to missing data?), "Unhandled exception: Object referrence not set to an instance of an object" whenever I load a template with an indicator.

It doesn't seem to matter what indicator (standard or custom), and adding the indicator independently (not as part of a template) causes no error.

I've attached a pic, you can see both issues.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Which instrument and interval was in your screenshot?

For the object reference error, can you email your trace file to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com

Comment

Just as a general update regarding the various issue brought to light in this thread as of Beta Release 5. These items ONLY apply to NinjaTrader 8 Beta.

1. There is a known issue related to loading data at the session break where the requests could span multiple days. If your chart is currently gaping until the the session start as per the screenshot 1, the issue is known and being looked into. NTEIGHT-8847. Reloading your chart or changing the session template should correct the gap, but the gap may be present again on subsequent restarts until the bug is fixed in next beta release.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img1.png
Views:	1
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	874940

2. If you are having issues loading data between restarts (e.g., you are seeing gaps for periods you were not connected as per screenshot 2), this could be attributed to using the Tools-> Options-> "Record Live Data as Historica" option. The gaps are not a bug, but rather an consequence of attempting to record your own data as historical. This option was designed for users without access to historical data, and using it in conjunction with a historical data provider will absolutely leave gaps on the chart. If you have access to historical data, it is intended to be turned off (unchecked).

Name:	img2.png
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	874941

3. If you see gaps in data unrelated to these settings, which are NOT fixed by reloading all historical data / deleting historical data from the Data Manager and downloading again, there could be issues with our historical data server which our development is still working on as the number of concurrent users grows. Please check with our support team to see if the gaps you are reporting are reproducible. This would only apply to NinjaTrader Historical Data servers used for Continuum, CQG, Rithmic, and FXCM. In your reports, please be sure to check which historical data server you are connected to which is listed in the Log tab. For example, in my screenshot, I was connected to CQG and HDS9.NinjaTrader.com. The "HDS" number will vary from time to time as we switch users to various servers as we work on issues.

Name:	img3.png
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	874942

For all other issues, please let us know if you have steps to reproduce and posting in this thread or by emailing platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with screenshots of your charts, including log and trace files. It may be more efficient for us to remote into your PC's to look over your settings to see what may be contributed to any gaps in data.

As a tip, it can be helpful to pinpoint and easily visualize gaps by right clicking on the chart-> select "properties"-> and unchecking "Equidistant bar spacing". With this option unchecked, your charts X-axis will be spaced by time, and if there are periods where there is data missing from the chart, it should be very easy to see in this mode.
                                Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 10-09-2015, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                                Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes