Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B5: Chartstyle & width change with chart time frame

Hi

I find that chart style and bar width revert to Candlestick width 3 whenever I change chart period to or from a period daily or longer, which is annoying. However, changing period between intra-day periods leaves the chart style and bar width unchanged, as I expect. For example:

60 min to Daily reverts to Candlestick width 3
    Daily to 60 min reverts...
    60 min to 240 min keeps the chart style

This may be related to this report, and may already be resolved, but it sounds different, to me.

Cheers
    Tony

Hello Tony,

Thank you for your post.

While testing on my end I was unable to reproduce. Can you tell me what version of NinjaTrader you have installed which can be found under Help->About.

Also did you happen to save a Daily preset with the Bar width set to 3?
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Christopher

I am using NT8 8.0.0.5 64-bit (Standard) - BETA
      No, I don't have any ChartSeries presets saved.

A little more information...

I don't remember this behaviour occurring when I first installed NT8, so I think it has developed as I used it, but I have no idea what I have done to cause it.

I tried NT8 uninstall / re-install. The behaviour persists, but the bar width now remains as set. There may have been two separate issues, so let's forget about bar width, for now.

I tried again with a clean workspace & chart and found...

Everything I said in my previous post applies except the width did not change. Changes between intra-day periods are fine, but changes to or from daily and longer periods revert to candlesticks. Here's a screencast showing the behaviour. http://screencast.com/t/R6nRQsYIbG

You will see I have a custom chart style (CandlestickAJS). It is just a small modification of the Candlestick chart style. Let me know if you think it may be relevant.

This is not a big deal for me because I tend to change instruments more than time frames. Perhaps, I just wait for Beta 6 and see if it still does this.

Cheers
      Tony

Comment

Within NinjaTrader 8 if you change to a new data Type such as from Minute to Daily the default settings for that interval will be loaded, in this case Candlestick. If you would like the OHLC bars to load you would need to set that Chart style as a preset for that interval within the Data Series window.
        Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Christopher

Thanks for that info. So it's not a bug, but design. However, I question the wisdom of that.

It requires the user to be data type savvy. Most on this forum will be, but many users that are less interested in how NT works, will not appreciate that changing between 10 min, 60 min & 240, for example, is different from changing between 60 min and daily, for example.

I think it would make more sense, when chart time frame is changed, for the settings to default to the existing settings, unless there is a preset defined. That way users that don't want to get into setting things do not get unexpected behaviour. Those that are happy to tinker will quickly learn about presets.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean View Post
            Hi Christopher

Thanks for that info. So it's not a bug, but design. However, I question the wisdom of that.
            Brother, I question the wisdom of just about every decision Ninja makes, from their employees making false promises, to their platform design.

Their attitude in my experience is usually something like "we own you, so deal with it or buy another platform" haha

(lifetime licences holder, in case you were wondering. Biggest mistake of my life. Wish they gave refunds, I feel like they robbed me.)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by selu72, Today, 02:01 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
            Started by WHICKED, Today, 02:02 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post WHICKED