Considerable lag Using CrossHairs in NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considerable lag Using CrossHairs in NT8

I've done a side by side comparison of NT8 and NT7 and find to quickly place the crosshairs on a pivot is difficult. It seems if I quickly move the crosshairs there is an overshoot and I have to retrace back to the pivot. When I do this same test in NT7, I don't seem to have this problem.

I've made recordings but don't know how to load them to the forum. They are in MP4 format.

regards,
    tadypole...

Hi Tadypole,

I also experience this all the time. Sometimes if I move my cross-hairs over a chart, it seems to move at about 3 frames per second making it really difficult to control. It isn't fluid like the normal movement of a cursor. I also agree this seems to be specific in NT8, I never noticed it in 7.

Cheers,
    Shane

Comment

Ditto - I have noticed this sluggishness since I started using it.

Jerry

Comment

Actually what first got my attention was I had a configuration that would hardly display the crosshairs at all. If I had the pointer, it worked perfectly but when I switched to crosshairs, I could barley get them to work. So I thought I could isolate and started removing things like a simulated trade I was in, the text and trade arrows, the indicators... but after removing a bunch of stuff, the crosshairs started working again in the sluggish mode which i recorded.

In fact I have a recording of when the crosshairs hardly worked at all but the forum wouldn't accept the video file.

taddypole...

Comment

When I started using N8 I had nothing on my charts and first thing switched to global crosshairs as that is what I always use in N7 so I assumed the problem had to do with N8 and also assumed it was one of those things that was so obviously flawed that I didn't have to even bother complaining about it. And here we are. Now, I wish I opened up about it sooner. It needs to be drastically enhanced.

~J

Comment

For those of you reporting lag with this feature can you open one of your trace files, and tell me what the "DirectX Rendering" line reports? It will either be HW for hardware acceleration (better performance) or SW for software acceleration (graphics card is not directx compatible)

Documents\NinjaTrader 8\trace\trace.YYYYMMDD.00001.txt
            Code:
            2015-10-12 15:20:27:888 DirectX Rendering=HW
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Mathew,

My acceleration is HW.
              "DirectX Rendering=HW"

Below are the recordings for NT7, NT8 and NT8 when the crosshairs were not working at all (or hardly).

NT7 Recording

NT7 Shows how the crosshairs don't overshoot the pivots and makes it easy to quickly move the cursor to a specific point.

NT8 Recording

NT8 Shows how the crosshairs overshoot the pivots and makes it hard to quickly move the cursor to a specific point.

NT8 Cursor not working at all...

taddypole...

Comment

I started this thread with the subject of crosshair lag and now we are discussing Menu alignment. Can you please start a new thread with "Menus Not Lining up"?

thanks and regards,
                taddypole...

Comment

Mine was 'HW' also....

For the others who are experiencing this crosshair lag, do you guys find some other tasks in NT8 can get laggy as well compared to 7? I've noticed resizing/moving windows etc can be sluggish at times, I'm not sure if the issue is related, but it would occur at a similar time. For example if the window with the crosshair lag was particularly bad, it would also be slower than normal to drag that window somewhere else on the screen.

Cheers,
                  Shane
                  Last edited by ShaneAU; 10-13-2015, 01:54 PM.

Comment

We did apply fixed in the next beta for performance with the 'Global' cross hair for B6. If you are seeing a performance issue with B5 'global' crosshair it should be drastically improved with B6.

However if you are using the 'Local' crosshair and still running into performance issue and performance issue in general can you please contact me directly at [email protected]. I'd like to remote in and take a look at your PC since I'm wanting to get some first hand information as to the scenario where HW rendering is in use but crosshair performance is still slow.

Please provide your phone number plus a good time to call and reference this forum post so I could setup a quick call.

Thank You.

Comment

I've been watching the Beta revisions for some time now but have come to the realization that I will have to upgrade my video card to get acceptable performance when using crosshairs in NT8.

I currently use ATI FirePro 2450's in my Shuttle computers. I chose them because of their low power consumption and ability to drive up to 4 displays all in a small form factor computer. In fact this card doesn't even have a fan. It does have a large heat sink making this computer very quiet.

I've been looking at many different video cards and have no idea which one to choose. I want the minimum one that will give me acceptable performance of the crosshairs in NT8. Acceptable to me is the performance I currently get when using NT7.

Does anyone have information that can help me decide?

regards,
                      taddypole...

Comment

Originally posted by Taddypole View Post
                        I've been watching the Beta revisions for some time now but have come to the realization that I will have to upgrade my video card to get acceptable performance when using crosshairs in NT8.

I currently use ATI FirePro 2450's in my Shuttle computers. I chose them because of their low power consumption and ability to drive up to 4 displays all in a small form factor computer. In fact this card doesn't even have a fan. It does have a large heat sink making this computer very quiet.

I've been looking at many different video cards and have no idea which one to choose. I want the minimum one that will give me acceptable performance of the crosshairs in NT8. Acceptable to me is the performance I currently get when using NT7.

Does anyone have information that can help me decide?

regards,
                        taddypole...
                        Which monitors are you using? I guess they aren't 4k as that will be extra demanding... yup - max output 1920x1200...

Buy AMD FirePro 2450 100-505841 512MB PCI Express x1 Multi-View Workstation Graphics Accelerator with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

You don't mention CPU/Motherboard combo - you might need an entire system upgrade. Putting a newer video card will drop down to your computers bus speed (PCIe 2x?! 1x? 3x?) ... not sure how this would affect the lines being drawn.... It may still work well enough?

This is at least direct X11.

Buy AMD FirePro V4900 100-505844 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 Workstation Video Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

This looks like the latest in small form factor offerings, but it's all display port connections. I really don't like displayport since it's plug n play - turn off a monitor and any open applicationg will move to the monitor that is on.

Buy AMD FirePro W600 100-505968 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Full height / half-length Workstation Video Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

If your monitors don't support display port - then you would need cable converters, etc.

You are definitely limited if you can only get a half sized video card in there.

Did you have anything in mind?

My nVidia 780Ti for my desktop - it appears almost up to the task.. but then again I'm on 30" monitor in 2560x1600 "3k" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824260028

In the latest beta - my laptops with mobile quadros appear to be performing much better.

Comment

The best monitors for my installation are the 1920x1200 and are the ASUS PA248’s. Not all my 8 monitors are at this level but as I replace ones that fail, the PA248 will be the monitor of choice. I have no intentions of going bigger or higher resolution.

My mother board is by Shuttle and the processor is the Haswell i7 4790k which again suits me fine. I have played with over clocking but in a small form factor unit, I mostly look for adequate performance with minimum noise and heat buildup.

So I’m looking for a video card with better performance than I have now, that will run up to 4 monitors. I do use DP to DVI adapters now and I fine with that. They have not caused me any problems.

I’ve been looking at the AMD FirePro W4100 which may do the trick. It’s a 2GB GDDR5 graphics card which runs on less than 50W maximum and its low profile.

It looks good but just don’t know if it will meet my crosshair performance requirements.

Regards,
                          Taddypole…
                          Last edited by Taddypole; 03-26-2016, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taddypole View Post

It looks good but just don’t know if it will meet my crosshair performance requirements.

Regards,
                            Taddypole…
                            some questioning here...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                            0 responses
                            1 view
                            0 likes
                            Last Post CortexZenUSA