Zoom In on chart - does not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoom In on chart - does not work

1. Let's have any chart. (I have simple M15 chart)
    2. Right click on chart -> click Zoom In.
    3. Nothing happens.

It should do something I would expect, or it can be removed

Hmm, it should give you a cross hair icon which allows you to click and drag a section of of the chart to zoom in on. Here is a quick video, let me know if your install is not doing the same:

MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Oh, I got it - I have to draw a rectangle - that will be zoomed in.
      Usage is really unintuitive first time.

I think, everybody 1st experience will be:
      Oh, I clicked and nothing was zoomed in. It does not work probably, because it is still BETA.

Really needs more thinking, how to let user clearly know,
      what he should do next - that he should draw zoomed rectangle of zoomed area..

Comment

Oh yes - I know, where is the hidden problem.
        I didn't see any changed cursor, because my default cursor for the whole chart is local crosshair - so anyway I move the crosshair, I see horizontal and vertical lines --> so the changed cursor is not visible in the center of these crossed lines.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. That is how the charts Zoom In has worked even back to 6.5, and I don't remember this coming up, but I can see what you mean.

Curious if you look at NinjaTrader 7, did you find the experience to be more intuitive, or just the same?

Comment

The changed crosshair is only visible, when the default cursor for the chart is Off.
            If user uses another variant of chart cursor like: Local or Global, then the change of the cursor not visible.

Comment

I tested right now:

NT7 - it is clear, because cursor really changes - there is some blue icon visible in the center, when I click Zoom In.

NT8 - there is absolutely no change in the cursor, if chart crosshair is set to Local, so user can't see anything. No change = no information. It looks like it simply does not work, because nothing changes.

Comment

Gotcha! Will check that out. Thanks.

Comment

I see now, that the color of the middle of crosshair is really changed.
                  But I had to really focus on it.

Problems are that lines - they are so distracting when Zoom In, that they completely
                  attract attention of the user, so he does not see, the middle of the crosshair has changed color, and that he should draw rectangle

I see clear solution:
                  1. while zoom in - the crosshair lines have to go away. They are attracting focus and user does not see the changed cursor.
                  2. the changed cursor should be changed in a more visible way - like it works in NT7

Comment

Next hint / tip:

The cross icon is not very lucky - it invites the user to click at 1 point (as in GPS coordinates).
                    It should be clear icon containing rectangle symbol - so user will draw a rectangle.
                    Last edited by misova; 10-14-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Misova,

Thanks for the clarification and the suggestion.

I will forward your suggestion to the Product Development Team. I will update this thread once an internal tracking number is created for this feature request.

Comment

Here is the internal tracking number for this suggestion:

SFT-804

Please use this number for any future inquiries on this feature request.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I'm new to NT8, coming over from MT4. One thing I can see so far with the software is that I'd really like to be able to zoom out MUCH further, surely this is possible?

I use this function to check the coding of my support/resistance levels - which are based on higher timeframe swings. So often, to see these I need to zoom quite far out...

Apologies if this is already a know limitation, or covered elsewhere.

Have a great day!

cheers
                          Chris

Comment

Do you wish to be able to see more historical data on your chart (horizontal data)? Or do you need to view more prices (vertical data)?

Here is the help guide page on how to navigate the chart vertically and horizontally:

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ng_a_chart.htm

If you are referring to needing more historical data on your chart, this is controlled by the 'Days to load' property.

Right-click on the chart > Data Series > Locate the 'Days to load' property and adjust it to a higher number.

Comment

Thanks Patrick,

It's more bars I'm after, I'm surprised at how little the charts can actually zoom out (I'm loading 10,000 bars worth of data). MT4 for example can zoom out so far that the individual bars are meshed together as one pixel wide, its just a great way to get an overall higher picture of the market without changing the interval of the timeframe.

Also, its a good way to check that the coding of my higher timeframe support resistance levels are correct from the trading timeframe that I'm using.

I'd definitely suggest we try to support greater levels of Zoom Out potential.

cheers
                              Chris

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post maybeimnotrader  
                              Started by quantismo, Today, 05:13 PM
                              0 responses