I have a suggestion for the tech desk about the NT forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just thinking about the idea of adding a like button to the posts on the forums like you see on Facebook and Twitter.

I've been reading forums for a long time. They are very educational places to develop ourselves. I consider the FB and TWTR platforms to be educational forums too especially if you're using them to do your research and discussions.

Most forums don't have the like button, but the popular social media sites have it, and they do amazingly well. I think the like button keeps the pupil focused on the high road to success by comparing what posts and topics are popular vs. unpopular, and it keeps the teachers in touch with what kind of things people are interested in more than other things. There is a lot of silent sentiment about the posts that come out when a like button is added to each post that otherwise would go unheard.

I used to be a professional tree guy a few years ago, and the two big forums my kind were Arboristsite.com and TreeBuzz.com The first one is still the most popular site on the web for the arboriculture pros and newbies. They have the Tapatalk app for it which all of the residents of the forum use, and they have a like button to add points to the poster for a good post. The points earned give posters privileges and prizes. They are a family, and they say this from time to time, and they choose that forum over others all around the world. Maybe the way that forum is set up is a lesson for any forum builders out there.

On arboristsite.com you have to log in to be able to add points to a poster's posts, or you'd get a lot of strange "drive by" browsers skewing the effect of the serious learning and discussing happening on the forum.

The points in a thread can be totaled up, and placed at the top of the page and to the side of each thread title outside of the thread on the forum tree, so that the students and teachers can see exactly how unique a subject matter is before entering the thread or as soon as the thread is entered at the top.

For me as a newbie to programming and the NT platform (not to trading) I browse the forum looking for topics that I can understand and that sound like I should look into just to start getting wet and accumulating the basic areas of the field. If I see that there are a bunch of likes before I enter a thread, I can bet the subject is important to what I'm trying to learn, and that it was easier to digest than perhaps other instances of the topic in other threads. I would have a look in on a subject and conversation that I might have passed over entirely because I didn't recognize any of the terms in the title of the thread/s.

That's my .02. Have a nice day.

Well there is the THANKS button for posts.. kind of keeps me motivated to lend a hand if I can.

edit: i'm not as good as koga .. but someday - I might surpass him.. Might take years..
    Last edited by sledge; 10-21-2015, 10:23 PM. Reason: koga

Comment

Ah, the impossible dream, eh, sledge?

Re the Like button, I'm not a big fan of it, I have to say, as it really is not particularly useful. But a MeToo button for voting (which may require a NotMe button also to be fair) might be a good addition. It would save a lot of posts saying "I'll let others [post] their vote for feature xyz". Simply click if you want it too (and possibly click if you don't).

Just a thought.
      Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
      jeronymite
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your comments.

The forum is not developed by NinjaTrader.
        What may work for you however is sorting by views. This will show what topics have had high interest.
        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Tburg1073, Today, 08:36 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Tburg1073  
        Started by alexstox, 10-16-2018, 03:29 PM
        10 responses
        0 likes