• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Share Service with Gmail

Hello,

Gmail is giving an error saying:

Hi,
    Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account [email protected] from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.

And thus the test email does not send.

Is there any way to get around this that you know to use gmail? or is gmail off limits?

Thanks

Hello fxgroundworks,

Gmail may be telling you that you need an application specific password.
    (I have tested using an application specific password and I am finding that this is working correctly)

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Please let me know if using an application specific password does not correct the error.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,

I just got off the phone with google support since we use google apps for business. He looked at the logs and showed me how I can do this - and nothing is being sent to the gmail servers. We even white labeled the ip address of this network and still no dice.

I currently have an open case with them but they can't seem to figure it out and he was asking me for message headers - something I don't believe we can get.

Here are my settings:

smtp.gmail.com
      SSL - Checked

Email address. [email protected] / I've also tried username (without the gmail.com)
      User name: [email protected] / I've also tried username (without the gmail.com)
      Password: My correct password

Hit test ... nothing.

Comment

Hi fxgroundworks,

I've tried my gmail settings in the past (Google Apps for Business also) and wasn't able to make it work either. It would be helpful to know if anyone has got the gmail servers work successfully?

Edit: Sorry Chelsea, just saw your reply re an app specific password, will try this shortly thanks.

Cheers,
        Shane
        Last edited by ShaneAU; 10-22-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Hello fxgroundworks,

Many ISP's will block port 465 as this is a common email port that viruses can use to spam other users.

I recommend that you check to see if this port is blocked on your internet or local network. To test this you can perform a telnet command in the command prompt.

telnet smtp.gmail.com 465.

I am using port 587 from following the email guide which I am linking below and I am using an application specific password and everything is working correctly on my end.

Smtp setups:
          http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=45339

Also, below is a link to a video I have created to demonstrate that this is working correctly when properly set up.
          http://screencast.com/t/qbNUacUGw

In this video I am using NinjaTrader Beta 5 as publicly available from our website.

Comment

Hello Chelsea B.

Thank you for doing the video as it's going to help point out the issue. For your username you have the first part of your email address missing the @gmail.com.

For business app emails, you need to have your own domain with the SAME smtp server. So if i had an email "[email protected]" and I'm using the smtp server smtp.gmail.com then it's probably trying to login with "[email protected]@gmail.com" if it's appending the @gmail.com through the NT program and maybe that is the reason why it doesn't work?

I can confirm that using an app password works from earlier and would recommend if possible to put this into the document as I'm sure it would save lots of time. I've already had a handful of questions regarding this and know that there are a few tickets logged already (since they are our clients) - latest was opened today with Paul.

Thanks for your help and look forward to your feedback for all us who are using googles email servers..

Thanks

Comment

Hello fxgroundworks,

I'm not entirely sure if we can add documentation about setting up a gmail or yahoo application specific password. This information could be subject to change and is something that must be verified by the google team. Not all emails are set up to use application specific passwords. Nor can we guarantee that using an application specific password will work.

However, I will ask our development if this is something they can add.

I have verified that NinjaTrader is not adding @gmail to the end of the username and is sending this as is for authentication.

Comment

Please do because it says it works with gmail, but we know it's very misleading because it doesn't need your gmail password is needs:

1) 2 factor authentication
                2) a gmail application password...

i feel like it would save a lot of frustration ... nobody is going to guess that

Comment

Hello fxgroundworks,

What I mean is, we are not able to to know the exact details of the backend of gmail's smtp server. If they were to change the process (similar to how they did change the process to 2 step verification and application specific passwords) we wouldn't know about this change and was quite a while before we caught on.

Further, each smtp server may and likely will have a different process for authentication. There are many different smtp servers and the process for connecting to these are out of our hands.

Though you have mentioned that you have worked with google support and you were unable to resolve the issue with them, that is actually where I would suggest looking for documentation or assistance.
                  The smtp server hosted by google is a google product that should be supported by google (including usage). I would expect that google should be able to show how to setup an application specific password for their smtp server.

(In this way, Thunderbird and Outlook which also may or may not need application specific passwords for gmail, will not include documentation on setting this up)

However, we do try and create forum threads where this information can be shared with the community and help point users in the right direction.

Below I am including a link to the forum thread where smtp server settings are discussed, however, keep in mind this is not a full list of all smtp servers, just a few popular ones.
                  http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=45339

However, as I mentioned previously, I have sent a documentation change request to add this documentation. It will be up to our development to decide to implement this change.

Comment

Thanks Chelsea, generating an App password worked for me also. I do agree that given Gmails popularity (apparently 900 million users now), including this would be a helpful addition to the documentation.

Cheers,
                    Shane

Comment

Gmail is giving an error saying:
                      Hi,
                      Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account [email protected] from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.
                      And thus the test email does not send.
                      Is there any way to get around this that you know to use gmail? or is gmail off limits?

You need to turn on the setting “Allow less secure apps” in the Google Security settings.

Detailed guide: http://ninza.co/email-config?target=ninjatrader-8

Cheers,
                      Pi
                      ninZa
                      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - ninZa.co

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                      6 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post DJ888