• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B5 always uses instrument default trading hours for charts

...even when another template is chosen for a chart data series. To repro:

1) Create a custom session for your instrument
    2) Set that custom session as the default for the instrument
    3) Create a new chart, select a template OTHER than the custom one you created or <use instrument settings> for the data series
    4) The new chart will have the instrument default template displayed, not the one you selected for the chart data series.

Hello,

Unfortunately I am not able to reproduce this issue on my end, but I may not fully understand the issue. Do you mean that a different Trading Hours template is being used on the data, or that you see a text label somewhere indicating the wrong Trading Hours template name?

On my end, after creating a new template and setting it as the default for an instrument, then using <Use Instrument Settings>, I'm seeing my custom template applied successfully.
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Dave -

I think you may have missed the crux point in step 3 ... try something OTHER than <use instrument settings> for your data series, and something that is NOT the custom template you set as the instrument default.

Comment

Of course -- sorry about that. I just re-tested by selecting a different Trading Hours template, but I am seeing the correct template being applied (the new one I selected). Can you tell me if the same thing occurs if you clear out your Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache folder and reload the data? If that resolves the issue, then we may have a clue as to the cause.

Comment

That didn't make a difference.

But it looks like the bug might actually be something a little different than it first appeared.

If I create a new chart (see ES1.jpg) select a template other than <use instrument settings>, then click OK the chart gets created with my *custom instrument default*, which isn't correct. It should be using the template I selected, not the default.

See ES2.png... you can tell from the session break lines this is not the template I chose in ES1.png and now the Data Series has reverted to <use instrument settings> even though I selected a different template.

Now, once the chart is loaded, if I select the template I chose in ES1.png it loads correctly.

Hope this helps.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, that is interesting. I'm still not seeing the same when I follow that process. I created a Trading Hours template that only covers Monday and Tuesday and set it as default, so it would be blatantly obvious, but I'm seeing the template that I select upon creating a chart is being used. I used a 5000 Volume ES 12-15 chart, as well, just to reproduce as precisely as possible.

Can you think of anything else that may be coming into play here? Are you running any custom scripts on that chart, for example? Does this happen for any instrument with any interval?

Comment

OK, looks like it's the preset.

So if you go to create a new chart, like volume 5000, then save the preset with <use instrument settings> it will always <use instrument settings> even if you select another trading hours template. Doesn't happen if there's no preset for that bar/periodicity.

That looks like the jackpot to me. Hopefully this isn't the intended behavior... the preset should just save me typing IMO and use any overrides I select for that specific chart. Also, there's no visual indication that a preset is in use... which probably brought me to this issue in the first place. I suspect I won't be the last person this trips up...

Comment

The good news is that is not the expected behavior. The presets should populate the property fields initially in the Data Series window, but anything that you change manually should be set to what you changed it to (unless you click "preset" > "restore" after changing values).

Since we are so close to releasing Beta 6, and since I have not been able to reproduce this issue, would you mind testing it once more as soon as you install Beta 6? If the issue persists at that time, I'd like to gather any workspaces, chart templates, or other items which could provide further clues.

Comment

Sure, I can do that.

Comment

Yep, still happens with B6. Could also be because the Default template (or any template) is selected when the chart is created? If so, this is confusing. If a template is selected then IMO the choices affected by the template should be grayed. Otherwise I just waste time and clicks making one-off selections that get ignored. Hopefully this makes sense...

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for providing the follow up on this.

I do see this when I tried it on my end, I would agree if a Default template is already selected and then you select something after that it could be confusing.

I will submit this to development for further review.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
                      JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                      5 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                      Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:00 AM
                      1 response
                      0 likes