line Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

line Tool

I am testing the platform and noticed that the line tool when drawn past current prices and new data comes in then it starts to shift whereas if I use the ray tool this does not happen.
    I was using another platform that had the same thing, but ninja 7 line tool didn't behave like that. And since u don't have a "menu: cut line" for the ray , why is the line tool behaving like that when drawn past current prices?

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this to us. Can you please clarify what kind of shift you are seeing with the Line tool? On my end, I see both Line anchor points staying in place as new data comes in, with the right-most anchor point set at a point in the future.
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Well, with version 8.00.5 that I am testing, the line tool is shifting away the anchor point that is in the future. I have only tested yesterday and today all day long with tick charts. I don't know how it behaves on time based charts.

Comment

I see, thank you. Can you please test this once more using the newly released Beta 6 build? If you find that it occurs in Beta 6, then I'll do some further testing on my end with Tick intervals to see if that may be the key.

Comment

I am testing it 2 hours now on beta 6 and on time based charts it is not doing it, but on my Volume and tick charts it is shifting.
          Try to replicate it by drawing a line tool that extends to the right side margin and on top of it draw a ray tool but keep the right most anchor point of the ray up to the last bar. after new data will come in you ll see what I am trying to say.
          On another platform I was using it had the exact same behaviour and the support team told me then that that is the way line tool works on non time based charts. I didn't like it tried ninja and stayed with it.
          Hope u will fix it as it used to work on 7.

Comment

I do see the issue now, thank you. As you noted, it appears to only be occurring on tick-based intervals. I will submit a report to our team to investigate further. (NTEIGHT-9030)
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_DaveI; 10-28-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I've have some more information for you (good news and bad news), after speaking with our development team. This particular issue is not one that would be addressable without a major overhaul of drawing object logic. The reason has to do with how the x-axis scale can change dynamically when viewing a tick-based chart interval. For example, using 150-tick bars, you might have a gap between 4:00pm and 4:05pm (in the future) that is 100 pixels wide (arbitrary number), but there is no way to gaurantee that a specific number of bars will fill in that gap, as there would be with time-based bars. You might have one bar post during that period, or 20 bars, depending on the volume. Thus, when the time axis itself re-adjusts to compensate for this, the time-based anchor point of the drawing object moves along with it. The anchor point still sits at the same time, but the location of the time itself on the chart has changed.

Now for the good news. I'm seeing that using non-equidistant bar spacing on a chart does prevent this from occurring. I recommend giving non-equidistant bar spacing a try (changeable in the Chart Properties window) to see if that will meet your needs.

Comment

You are saying to me to trade like Pic1 instead of Pic 2?
                Well, I ll have to adapt to that change, but the way the line tool worked on 7 was the main reason that I chose NT in the first place.
                Thank You!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bendmail View Post
                  You are saying to me to trade like Pic1 instead of Pic 2?
                  Well, I ll have to adapt to that change, but the way the line tool worked on 7 was the main reason that I chose NT in the first place.
                  Thank You!!
                  I'm curious here.. as I don't seem to experience this same issue unless I have my snap mode setting set to Bar and Price.. If you set snap mode to disabled and/or any other setting besides Bar and Price, do you still experience this issue?

-=Edge=-
                  NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

Well, Just tried it on bar and price, but I can't draw freely the line where I want on this mode. I tried just on price but its doing the same thing.
                    As the case is I will have to relearn and draw trendlines with the ray tool , but as a Daytrader on a tick chart the chart is gonna be a mess with all those lines not having at least a "cut line here" function.

Comment

We are currently tracking a feature request to add a tool to "cut" a drawing tool at a specified point, and I've added a vote to the request for this thread. The request is tracked with ID # SFT-531.

Comment

Any news ?

Any news about this ?
                        I have also thought for years that NT misses this feature. I am a day trader. I use mainly lines & channels. The ability to "cut here" any drawing tool is really missing because we need to always delete current ray/ create new line and reposition this (these) line(s) by hand. A total waste of time because we always have to fight with the correct snapping option (price vs bar). This ability should allow to "cut" any line-based drawing tool (line, ray, channels, etc) after or before the point spotted by the mouse with a single click.Thanks.
                        Best regards.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your feedback, as well. I will add your vote to the tracked suggestion.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                          Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes