Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument Linking Problem

Running Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit 8 Gb ram

My Workspace contains two charts. Although these two charts employ the same indicators, each chart plots a different futures contract using different valued range bars. Each chart is set to Unlinked.

I have spent hours attempting to solve the problem of compressing/expanding the bars on one chart which sends the other chart into a chaos of scale changes. As a last resort, I selected a different link color for each chart.

This work-around apparently avoids the bug.

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this to us. Just to make certain I understand correctly -- neither of your charts have any link color set when the issue occurs? With no linking enabled, changing scale on one chart causes scale changes in another chart?
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

With borth charts Unlinked, the second chart's scaling goes haywire, when the first chart is Shift/Dragged Time Axis, or Arrow Icon is clicked. Just moving the cursor from first chart to second causes scaling changes in second chart. I called this chaos.

When each chart is assigned a different Link Color, the problem appears to be avoided.

Comment

Hello spooz2,

Thank you for the update. I will investigate this behavior further and follow up as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience in the meantime.
        Michael M.NinjaTrader Quality Assurance

Comment

Hello spooz2,

I am unable to recreate this behavior with the information provided.

Could you please let me know if the issue exists when you are moving the scaling around with no indicators on either chart?

Also, could you please let me know which indicators you are running on your charts?

Finally, please let me know what range value you are using on each chart and what instrument.

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Eureka! Convinced that the two charts previously described were linked in some non-obvious way causing the problem, I finally discovered that they were linked by both being set to Crosshairs Global.

As soon as I reset each of them to Local, the problem was solved.

Comment

Hello spooz2,

Thank you for the update. Based on what you have said, this is expected behavior. Using the global crosshair will cause the smaller period chart to scroll much faster than the larger period chart unless you use the option without time scrolling. This should not affect the scale however unless you have autoscale turned on in which case the chart will re-scale each time a new bar comes into view.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

IMO, NT's design of it's scaling adds unecessay confusion (determining right combo of Auto Scale/Charts and AutoScale Indicators for example) I have been using a competing charting platform for many years which has a very simple construction. Left mouse button drag time axis left or right to move price left/right; prices do not disappear when right margin is exceeded.. Left mouse button drag price axis up/down to move price vertically. Do the same with time axis while holding down control button and price bars expansion/compression is dictated. The chart is Autoscaled by clicking an icon similar to NT.

I realize that NT will not re-design it's chart/scaling, but maybe v.9"

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post DJ888
                by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes