Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BarBrush Priority for NT8 Indiccators

Hi, all

I noticed inconsistent BarBrush issues with some custom NT8 indicators using BarBrush option to paint bars.

Specifically, these indicators are:

CandleStickPatterns (default NT)

BetterVolume3 (custom, written by NT_Paul)

and TSSupperTrend (custom, written by NT_Paul).

Both custom indicators have options to paint bars using BarBrush.

Here is the issue I have:

When I drop the NT8 default indicator CandleStickPatterns (i.e. BullishEngulfing) on a chart, it will not allow the BetterVolume3 indicator to paint the bars with the option on. It will revert the bar colors to default (null) colors but will draw the candle pattern text and paint the related bars in black.

However, this is not the case when I use the CandleStickPatterns on a chart with TSSupperTrend present. The TSST with the BarBrush option on maintains trend colors. In this case the TSST BarBrush seems to take priority, however the text for the candle pattern will still show but the bars for the candle pattern are not painted.

It is not clear how the BarBrush in one indicator takes priority over BarBrush of another indicator. I have changed the plotting order, but it does not seem to work. This is not an issue in NT.

So, two questions:

Can priority be assigned for BarBrushes of two indicators?
    How do I get BarBrush for BetterVolune3 indicator to show while having the CandleStickPatterns indicator on the same cart?

Resolution of this example will help similar situations with other conflicting BarBrush applications.

Many Thanks.

Hello aligator,

Thanks for your post.

You do have the options, as you observed, to not color the bars in both TSsuperTrend and the BetterVolume indicator. The bar coloring is optional because, in the case of the TSsupertrend, its real value is with the plotted stop levels above and below price. In the case of BetterVolume, the volume bars themselves are colored. So both of those indicators will function without the bar coloring. This is true in NT7 and the converted NT8 indicators.

In the case of the CandleStickPattern indicator, it also colors the bars, although just for the specific patterns. While the indicator does print the text below/above the pattern, if the bars are not colored it is not as visually effective an indicator.

So you already have the ability to control the priority of which indicator shows what. You can certainly put all three of those on the chart with great effectiveness. I've added a screenshot below.

Regarding the application of CandleStickPattern indicator on one chart suppressing the bar colors of another indicator, I will need to investigate this further. In my brief tests I found that it suppressed bar painting in both BetterVolume and TSsupertrend on my PC. I will update this thread when I have further information.

Thanks for your participation in the beta program and your feedback.
    Attached Files
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Paul View Post
      Hello aligator,

Thanks for your post.

You do have the options, as you observed, to not color the bars in both TSsuperTrend and the BetterVolume indicator. The bar coloring is optional because, in the case of the TSsupertrend, its real value is with the plotted stop levels above and below price. In the case of BetterVolume, the volume bars themselves are colored. So both of those indicators will function without the bar coloring. This is true in NT7 and the converted NT8 indicators.

In the case of the CandleStickPattern indicator, it also colors the bars, although just for the specific patterns. While the indicator does print the text below/above the pattern, if the bars are not colored it is not as visually effective an indicator.

So you already have the ability to control the priority of which indicator shows what. You can certainly put all three of those on the chart with great effectiveness. I've added a screenshot below.

Regarding the application of CandleStickPattern indicator on one chart suppressing the bar colors of another indicator, I will need to investigate this further. In my brief tests I found that it suppressed bar painting in both BetterVolume and TSsupertrend on my PC. I will update this thread when I have further information.

Thanks for your participation in the beta program and your feedback.
      Thank you Paul.

On my PC, I find that CandleStickPattern (NT8) indicator suppresses bar painting only in BetterVolume3 and not in TSsupertrend. However, I have not tested for other indicators.

Cheers!
      Last edited by aligator; 11-18-2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Hello aligator,

Just to update on the progress of this.

We did find that there was logic issue in what could override the bar brushes and that was corrected with NTEIGHT-9140 which will be in the next release (7).

That change then allows the charts to behave the same as in NT7 regarding the painting of bars.
        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post jaybedreamin  
        Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
        6 responses
        0 likes