Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Will there be a "smoothing" setting for the ADX indicator in NT8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will there be a "smoothing" setting for the ADX indicator in NT8?

I have designed a strategy that utilizes Dr. Charles Schaap's ADX settings.

13 periods for the DMIs
    8 periods for the smoothing of the ADX.

The DM indicator only allows for the adjustment for the DMI period setting. There is no setting for the ADX smoothing value.

(I am bringing this strategy from a different platform and I do look forward to using it on NinjaTrader.)

Previous discussions on the board have presented a way in NT7 to manually type/alter the original system indicator to hard code the settings. Sadly, the NinjaScript code does not look like it translates to the redesigned locked NT8 ADX system indicator.

Can you add adjustable settings for the DMI period and ADX smoothing as a standard to the locked NT8 ADX system indicator?

Or provide the code to add ADX smoothing to the NT8 ADX indicator?
    Last edited by ArmKnuckle; 11-30-2015, 01:55 AM.

Hello,

It appears that the exposed parameters of the DM indicator in NinjaTrader 8 mirror those provided in NinjaTrader 7. Both versions only expose a "Period" parameter.

It sounds like adding and exposing an ADX Smoothing property is something that some users added to the pre-built indicator for their own purposes in NinjaTrader 7. That being the case, it is likely that this same approach will be used to modify the NinjaTrader 8 implementation. Just like NinjaTrader 7 indicators, NinjaTrader 8 indicators can be modified by first making a renamed copy of the indicator, then saving any changes to the new copy.

If you would like, I'll be happy to add a feature request to incorporate an ADX smoothing property to the DM indicator. Can you tell me a bit more about why and how this would be used, so that I can fully understand the use case?
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

This video describes why Dr. Schaap’s ADX settings are of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LPagXSPxL0&t=7m9s

Basically, it allows for a more sensitive ADX line in relation to price action. It seems a better choice than the standard matched period setting that is locked into the DM period setting.

Allowing for true flexibility in the indicator would seem to be the best for traders, and would give users maximum flexibility when using NinjaTrader’s ADX setting.

As stated in the previous post, I am transferring a completed strategy that calls for the following ADX settings:

13 periods for the DMIs
      8 periods for the smoothing of the ADX

The previous software I used allowed for separate specific entries for DMI & ADX. It is imperative for me to incorporate those setting into my formula.

I am new to NinjaTrader and, more specifically, C# coding. I am decidedly unclear how to alter the locked NT8 ADX indicator code.
      (Lines 36-117 are confusing enough. Lines 130-185 state “NinjaScript generated code. Neither change nor remove”. What do I do with that?)

Could you please specifically tell me which lines, and with what code I could use to alter the NT8 ADX indicator to match the settings from above?

Once I get this last bit of code resolved, I will be able to complete transferring my strategy to NinjaTrader over the Christmas break. I will then shell out some $$$, buy my copy, and begin trading with NT8 in the New Year.

Please help.

Thanks

P.S. Having the DM indicator altered in a feature request would be fantastic. I'm not sure how long that will take, though. Getting the specific code first, as requested above, would be a great.
      Last edited by ArmKnuckle; 12-03-2015, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Thank you for providing a detailed explanation. I have submitted a new feature request to start tracking demand for this enhancement, with tracking ID # SFT-952. You should hear from a member of our Scripting Support team on this thread soon for assistance in editing the indicator on your end.
        Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

How is the progress on contacting the Scripting Support team?

My interest in altering the locked NT8 ADX indicator with my previously stated settings remains strong.

Thanks!

Comment

Hello,
            I am currently working on this and creating a clear example of how you can do this as well as other resources for you to start learning how to do custom NinjaScript Programming. Thank you for your patience during this time.
            Cody B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by PaulMohn, Today, 12:36 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post PaulMohn  
            Started by love2code2trade, 04-17-2024, 01:45 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes