Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Folders for Indicators

Hi Ninja_Support,

How to create a custom folder under Indicators folder for custom indicators so that it will be easy to keep custom indicators separate from default indicators?

This will be easy to locate custom indicators for edit or to select indicator for plotting on chart.

In my custom indicators I have used the following:

namespace NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Indicators.MyIndicators

This will create the folder "MyIndicators" inside the indicator list on a chart when I want to plot a custom indicator. But the "MyIndicators" will not be created under the Indicator folder for editing after compiled.

Thanks a bunch.

Hello,

Thank you for the question.

You are correct, the Namespace delegates in the platform what you see for the folders. This is a virtual folder and not a real folder, all of the files are still held together in the same folder.

To create an actual folder, you would need to use the windows file explorer and create the folder and place your indicators in that folder and re compile.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
      Hello,

Thank you for the question.

You are correct, the Namespace delegates in the platform what you see for the folders. This is a virtual folder and not a real folder, all of the files are still held together in the same folder.

To create an actual folder, you would need to use the windows file explorer and create the folder and place your indicators in that folder and re compile.

Thank you Jesse,

I just created an actual folder using explorer ....>Custom>Indicators>MyFolder and moved the custom indicators to that folder. However, after recompile these indicators or a virtual folder will not show in the drop down indicator list on chart for plotting.

I have seen a recent custom indicator (#32 from Sim22) posted on ninja that when installed will create folders containing the indicators on both the chart and edit indicator lists. Perhaps, you can shed some lights on how is done.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I do see that after closing the editor and re opening it the folder is no longer displayed and also does not show up in the indicators menu specifically.

I am unsure which post you are referring to, but if the source code was supplied in that thread I would suggest reviewing the way that was executed. I will also submit this item to development for further review regarding Namespaces and folder structure.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

virtual folders

This is really simple, forget about the previous answers in this thread .

The name of the virtual folder, followed by a period, must be added as a prefix to the filename by using windows explorer.

In the script, the namespace must be suffixed with a period followed by the name of the virtual folder.

Example: An Indicator called EmperorMingMA that lives in a "folder" called PlanetMongoMovingAverages. This is not a folder at all, but it looks like one in the Ninjascript editor and in the indicator list.

The FILE must be renamed to:

Code:
          [COLOR="blue"]PlanetMongoMovingAverages[/COLOR].[COLOR="Red"]EmperorMingMA[/COLOR].cs
          Indicator script:

Code:
          namespace NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.Indicators.[COLOR="blue"]PlanetMongoMovingAverages[/COLOR]
          {
          	public class [COLOR="Red"]EmperorMingMA[/COLOR] : Indicator

When creating an instance of this indicator in another indicator, remember to include the namespace:

Code:
          Private [COLOR="Blue"]PlanetMongoMovingAverages[/COLOR].[COLOR="Red"]EmperorMingMA [/COLOR]     EMMA
          Last edited by Ricam; 12-03-2015, 06:16 PM.

Comment

This functionality is, in my opinion, under-utilized. Now that I know how it works I love how it works. There should be a page in the help that explains the below in detail. I still don't think the NinjaScript Editor "Add Folder" functionality works correctly.

I also mentioned this in another post, but I think the default indicators should be in their own folder as well.

Lastly, creating physical sub-folders wouldn't change the NinjaScript Editor but would greatly clean up the Visual Studio project.
            Last edited by GrumpyTrader; 12-10-2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

This topic is still currently under review regarding the structure of folders and Namespaces: NTEIGHT-9164.

I currently don't have much details on what specifically will be in the final versions of the platform but it looks like this area is getting some needed attention and looks to be currently leaning towards a true folder structure like a VS solution.

If I have further details I will check back, otherwise in the future releases you can find 9164, if changed, in the change log.

Comment

ALL indicators should be in folders

Doing that allows rational hierarchical organization of the indicators so that you can actually find them.

This applies to ALL indicators INCLUDING built in "system" indicators.
                It's more logical to classify indicators by type rather than based on who created them.

Think about having folders such as MovingAverages, Oscillators, Bands, etc. Works for me.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Ricam; 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Anyone now having problems with exporting out of custom folders with Beta 8?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sim22 View Post
                    Anyone now having problems with exporting out of custom folders with Beta 8?
                    Hi Sim22,

As RiCam indicated above, these are virtual folders that would only show on the drop down list of indicators. These folders are not physically created on computer drive that can be accessed for import of export.

I think I read in the last NT8.8 version release notes that Ninja folks have added this folder capability, but apparently not if you are using this version.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by aligator View Post
                      Hi Sim22,

As RiCam indicated above, these are virtual folders that would only show on the drop down list of indicators. These folders are not physically created on computer drive that can be accessed for import of export.

I think I read in the last NT8.8 version release notes that Ninja folks have added this folder capability, but apparently not if you are using this version.

Cheers!
                      Unfortunately, there was an issue that was missed in our regression testing which prevents exporting files in physical sub-folders (#9260). This will be resolved in B9.
                      MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Stanfillirenfro, Yesterday, 09:19 AM
                      7 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                      Started by TraderCro, 04-12-2024, 11:36 AM
                      4 responses
                      0 likes